Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 10704 times)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
Re: Suspension
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 10:57:50 »
Getting back on the suspension subject, as lately I've added many parts to my motorcycle, still haven't installed the rear spring as I will
ask my dealership to do this at the same time as my 24'000 valve check, which is soon.

Lately taking the motorcycle out by 2°C, the rear didn't feel so planted on the road and I was also still pretty annoyed by the massive head
shake I get around 60kmh as well as above 100kmh. Then it occured to me with all the stuff I read on suspension, which was never mentioned
on the Honda forums so I'll share.

Basically I upped the front preload, also upped the rear even without luggage but actually I never noticed head shake first months of riding,
so I got back to front factory preload and surprise, head shake is gone !
So it is clear now that the rear gets too low even at max when you add front preload and this destabilizes the motorcycle, as SB pointed out
the fork angle must really be wrong for the bike's geometry, so it seems rear spring is definitely a must do !

I wish my Honda guy would have just told me about this effect... I was thinking tires were the issue.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 12:29:49 »
Getting back on the suspension subject, as lately I've added many parts to my motorcycle, still haven't installed the rear spring as I will
ask my dealership to do this at the same time as my 24'000 valve check, which is soon.

Which one have you choose ? Hyperpro?
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 13:12:57 »

Yes because it's in the netherlands and cheap, I saw other from US, twice the price and shipment would be a pain.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 13:26:23 »

I' m very happy with mine in all conditions (+20mm)  VCIF_ThumbUp
Yes because it's in the netherlands and cheap, I saw other from US, twice the price and shipment would be a pain.
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Harv

• HAR Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 00:48:43 »
I came close to buying an AT and mentioned this to a friend......he said " have you ridden one two up"? .....which I hadn't, really felt odd when I tried it and so I didn't buy.
Never considered the steering rake.....is there any option to drop the clamps down the fork leg?

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 09:22:34 »
I came close to buying an AT and mentioned this to a friend......he said " have you ridden one two up"? .....which I hadn't, really felt odd when I tried it and so I didn't buy.
Never considered the steering rake.....is there any option to drop the clamps down the fork leg?

Judging my bike's geometry, I don't see why you couldn't there is only the limitation of the top of the tube hitting the handlebars but I'd say you still have a 5cm leeway.
Also for cheap check Hyperpro they do the +2cm rear spring, which means you could maybe crank the front preload a lot if needed and still be okay, Zebulon is happy with
his so apparently +2 rear doesn't upset the motorcycle geometry, because for 2 up riding the rear spring will always be too weak unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:24:06 by Djairouks »

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 22:22:17 »
Back home I checked and you can lower the front by 10mm and still be good in the triple clamps.

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 23:40:15 »
Everywhere I look it says front travel is 230mm, while my AT was on the center stand I lifted the front to put masking tape
on the fender, so I can measure the movement of the tube. But upon putting my ruller against the Wheel axel part, I only
measured 215mm until the tape not 230, so if it bottoms the effective travel is 215, so 30 %SAG would be 64.5mm not 69.

It seems to me more lolgical to measure this effective travel and adjust SAG accordingly what do you think !?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal