Author Topic: Playfull weekend: '11 XL1000V Varader vv '12 VFR1200X Crosstourer  (Read 11059 times)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Had a go on the CT this weekend in the German Teutoburger forest region, together with the Mrs and my latest Honda Varadero. Wonderful curvy roads, almost no traffic. Had an excellent (first) one-to-one with my 2011 XL1000V Varadero.

Summary... both bikes are good. However, the fuel consumption of the VFR1200X is still disappointing: with same average riding, on a total of 750 km (450 miles) the CT managed a poor 7 (best: 5) where the Varadero managed 6 (best: 4) liters on 100 km.

Had the Varadero (own bike) on Continental Trail Attack II. The CT was on its stock Bridgestones. If the CT would had have the Conti's, I would have had so much more fun on that bike. They really spoiled a lot of the fun - the fuel consumption would be something I could live with, knowing that we did some 100 km / 60 miles on high speed on the German Autobahn.

Topspeed (measured on GPS):
Crosstourer: 240 km / h and still capable of doing more, but the steering was getting more or less nervous at that speed (probably due to the tires); boardcomputer showed an average fuel consumption of 6 km / liter... It was the first time I tried to do an topspeed test on the CT (legally... ;) ) and I am most convinced, that if the bike had proper tires, it would go on, and on.

Varadero: topped on 221 km/h. But still solid as a rock. Boardcomputer showed an average feul consumption of 10 km / liter.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 18:16:50 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

mad_max0204

• HAR Member
Re: Playfull weekend: '11 XL1000V Varader vv '12 VFR1200X Crosstourer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:45:48 »
Thanks for the comparison. CT is a good looking bike having all the stuff missing on vara fixed but I found it physically smaller.
This is something that I cant live with.

Athanman

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:47 »
I guess that you cant compare a Varadero with the Crosstourer mate.Its not fair.They are 2 different things in my personal opinion.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 13:58:16 »
I guess that you cant compare a Varadero with the Crosstourer mate.Its not fair.They are 2 different things in my personal opinion.

It is fair, Manos, because Honda has placed the VFR1200X as the real 'successor' to the late Varadero XL1000V...
Despite the fact that the Crosstourer is a good and proper bike, it is different to the Varadero, you are right.

But the Crosstourer - on average - doesn't do anything 'better' or 'worse' as the Varadero... Which is a bit strange looking at the fact that the CT is (Dutch listed price) + € 5.000,- more than a XL1000V in full specs Travel / 'L Iseran trim...

And... Yes. It is smaller.

Athanman

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 16:14:51 »

It is fair, Manos, because Honda has placed the VFR1200X as the real 'successor' to the late Varadero XL1000V...
Despite the fact that the Crosstourer is a good and proper bike, it is different to the Varadero, you are right.

But the Crosstourer - on average - doesn't do anything 'better' or 'worse' as the Varadero... Which is a bit strange looking at the fact that the CT is (Dutch listed price) + € 5.000,- more than a XL1000V in full specs Travel / 'L Iseran trim...

And... Yes. It is smaller.

Sorry Bernard but you are wrong! Crosstourer does something better ....
1) it needs more fuels in a long distance ride out
2) there is no stability as Varadero has when the air blows
3)  it is not only Dutch privilege the  + € 5.000 , here costs  + € 6.000,- more than a XL1000V in full specs Travel
4)Crosstourer has not the luxury seat that Varadero has for the second passenger!

We compare a succesfull motorbike which is almost 14 years old  with   what ?

Varadero was sold out in Greece and recently Honda brought few non abs Mk3 models  and guess what ? Varadero (abs) costs  11.400 euros + the travel pack (givi for instance) 12000 - 12.200 euros maximum.
GS - CROSSTOURER - MULTISTRADA - KTM - STELVIO , all costs more than 15000 (occasionally including the travel pack ) .
If you buy Varadero, you choose to  pay less money , you buy a tested  moto with full travel pack and you goooo,
thats the difference. ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 16:22:23 by Athanman »

jolly green giant

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 18:50:42 »
Manos, I agree but he Vara alas is no more.

There are other new bikes in the adventure bike segment and one should also start paying attention at the 800cc class with the Triumph Tiger XC and the newer BMuu GS 800 ADV which have had excellent reviews.

The new LC 1200GS is still plagued with early production problems while the Ducati MultiS is small and expensive. A strong contender for people like me who ride Adv bikes mostly on road is the new Aprilia Caponord but I have not seen one in flesh yet. Having said that though I'm not planning to part with my Vara.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 23:56:15 »
Manos: not to be forgotten: the allowed maximum weight capacity (riders + luggage) of the Varadero overspanns not only that of the Crosstourer, but also all of its 'modern' rivals...

Athanman

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 17:55:36 »
Manos: not to be forgotten: the allowed maximum weight capacity (riders + luggage) of the Varadero overspanns not only that of the Crosstourer, but also all of its 'modern' rivals...

Dont say that loud my dear friend , perhaps some of our friends would feel already uncomfortable  . ! VCIF_999_ VCIF_999_

Brian ....  ;)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:44:53 »
Manos, I agree but he Vara alas is no more.

There are other new bikes in the adventure bike segment and one should also start paying attention at the 800cc class with the Triumph Tiger XC and the newer BMuu GS 800 ADV which have had excellent reviews.

The new LC 1200GS is still plagued with early production problems while the Ducati MultiS is small and expensive. A strong contender for people like me who ride Adv bikes mostly on road is the new Aprilia Caponord but I have not seen one in flesh yet. Having said that though I'm not planning to part with my Vara.

I eye balled the Caponord recently.  It looks reasonably plain, but has some good gear on it.  I've been unable to get the specifications yet, nor have I ridden it.  It does look like it would perform quite well.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:04:56 »
Dear Friends
In Israel a Vradero cost about 19,000 euro and Crosstourer about 28,000 euro that is 47% more expensive. After 8 new Varaderos since the year 2003 and 5 months on a Crosstourer with 17K kilometers, in my opinion for two wonderful bikes, the Crosstourer main advantage is it gives you more strength and stability over the Varadero. And for Varadero friends here in Israel that call me a "traitor" I answer them that I had no other alternative, there are no more new Varaderos in the Market.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 17:57:26 »
Some of us have bought the "Last Varas" on the market .  I am 40 000 km and I don't think I keep it for long years, even if I know "she" can do it. I have as a lot to look elsewhere… I think both 800 tiger and GS are good bike, but not sure they are suffisant to ride with 2 persons and luggage (not as well as a vara …  :) ) I look at the XTZ ; think it's also a good bike for us.
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Athanman

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 10:35:02 »
Some of us have bought the "Last Varas" on the market .  I am 40 000 km and I don't think I keep it for long years, even if I know "she" can do it. I have as a lot to look elsewhere… I think both 800 tiger and GS are good bike, but not sure they are suffisant to ride with 2 persons and luggage (not as well as a vara …  :) ) I look at the XTZ ; think it's also a good bike for us.

KTM 1190 can travel with 2 persons and luggage + price is very low !

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 14:05:23 »
Not so confortably ....  ;)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 02:30:55 »
Well I beg to differ to those who say the Crosstourer does nothing better than the Varadero.  In my view it does most things better, and some thing way better.  It has more power, centre of gravity is lower down, the bike is less cluttered and it handles on the road way way better than the Varadero.  The suspension on the CT is better too.

In my mind the CT is a far superior bike.  The fuel consumption is the only factor that is slightly less, but you do have 200cc more and and an extra cylinder.

Having ridden the CT I would never go back to the Varadero. 
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

Red

• HAR Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 12:03:57 »
I'm sort-of committed to getting a CT; I test-rode one recently and I'm ready to press the button for selling my 2011 Vara and  taking a mortgage out for a second-hand CT.

What really appeals is the drive-shaft, and in general, you know that's going to add another grand or 2.

I'm 11 stone wet-through, and the Vara has always felt a little more than I can handle at a stand-still and very low speeds.
Don't get me wrong, I could't fault the Vara on anything once I got it kitted out; MRA screen, hand-shields, heated grips.
Maintenance is minimal, I ride it throughout the year and riding even in gale force wasn't an issue and it feels like it sticks to the road like glue. It's size / height made me feel safer also (due to increased visibility).

On the CT test, what was obvious was smoothness and the fact that at high-speed - you just don't know you're travelling at high-speed. If you can imagine doing 120 mph on the CT and it feels like 80 mph on the Vara - you got it.
It feels lighter and the centre of gravity feels lower (don't know if either is a physical fact) and it feels much more reactive.

I am getting a niggling feeling that I may regret it, but as Vara production has stopped - I feel like I've got to bite the bullet some time.  :-[ I've only been riding for a few years, but it seems that everyone has their 'all-time' faves; I'm pretty sure that the Vara will be mine.

I paid £6k for my Vara 18 months ago, and can get £6k for it now (albeit with various add-ons). I can only hope that the CT can hold it's price just as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal