Author Topic: My New Varadero - Accessories  (Read 5170 times)

Sdapeze

• HAR Member
    • Varadero
My New Varadero - Accessories
« on: April 30, 2013, 14:11:56 »
I bought my third Varadero last year as I don't like the Crosstourer and didn't like the alternatives to the Varadero and I liked the 'feel' of the Varadero. So I thought I would buy one of the last ones that were made, a Shasta White 2011 model that I found at Hunts in Manchester, with full pannier and top box, centre stand, ABS, etc. The top box has a nice leaning pad and armrests so we shall see how my lady likes that over a long journey.  I like the way the empty tank is given a countdown of miles to zero. New to me! But as we all know, the standard model is not exactly how we want it. The biggest problem has always been the windscreen. So I bought one from Palmer Products http://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/ and am very pleased with it. I had used MRA, Givi, Puig, before, with varying degrees of result. The new nacelle of the latest Varadero model meant that I couldn't use my old GPS mounting bar so the new screen is easily adapted to make the Garmin Zumo fit nice and snug behind the screen. I also fitted heated grips, 30mm handlebar raisers (as I found this cured the numbness on long journeys), a Scottoiler cramp buster, a 12v socket, a new GB number plate (always good when you ride with an international group. I got this from CJF Motorcycle Accessories as they will add a motto/legend/web address, on the bottom), an Airhawk his and hers air seat, an Easy fitting harness for a tank bag (I didn't want a tank bag as the Shasta White red and blue strips get covered). Another very important (for me) extra was crashbars from SW-Motech, by recommendation. Had to get these professionally fitted as the radiator pipes have to be removed to get at the fixing points. I had used a Scottolier on the two previous Varaderos but decided against this, this time. I am now all ready for my run down to the south of France next week to join the Varaderomaniacs for their 5 day event near Millau (60 bikes or thereabouts have registered and they are hosting VIM 17 I think, probably at the same location). Then back for VIM15 in Wales. See you there! VCIF_78_tipp
Also known as Jess Jephcott
1999 Gold, 2006 Silver, 2011 White
VIMs 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 23.

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Re: My New Varadero - Accessories
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 17:09:10 »
Hello Jess, congratulations for your new Vara!

If you decide to take the "diverted route" from Millau to the Channel, that is, to the S of the Pyrenees, just let me know.  :)

Regards,

Josep

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 23:20:57 »
Remember Jess... Its your 'vault' that I bought a new White too!  ;D Tnx again, I'm enjoying every moment of it.

And I won't forget to bring some ducktape for 'instand-screen-repairs' as we did in Luxembourg at VIM2... VIM2... That's a long time ago... ;)

Curious about the armrests too!  :D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Sdapeze

• HAR Member
    • Varadero
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 14:58:45 »
Ha ha ha. Very funny. You 'stole' my bike from my local dealer in England and took it back to the Netherlands. I was going to buy that bike. It's mine. Remember. I had to buy another 'white' in Manchester because of you. But you will find that your dero will ride very well in the UK as it is designed to ride on the left.  :o

I am off to France to meet Zebulon nect week and to look at the VIM17 location.
Also known as Jess Jephcott
1999 Gold, 2006 Silver, 2011 White
VIMs 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 23.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 16:45:54 »
Ha ha ha. Very funny. You 'stole' my bike from my local dealer in England and took it back to the Netherlands. I was going to buy that bike. It's mine. Remember. I had to buy another 'white' in Manchester because of you. But you will find that your dero will ride very well in the UK as it is designed to ride on the left.  :o

I am off to France to meet Zebulon nect week and to look at the VIM17 location.

Have fun and say hello to Gilles and the rest for me, OK? CU in 2 weeks time from now in Cardigan. Looking forward to it. And take care with my lady, OK?  ;)

Btw... I did change the clutch and front brake lever back to Central European setting... Do you think I have to switch them around again before I leave for Her Majesties Kingdom tomorrow?  ;D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Athanman

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 22:13:05 »
Congratulations my dear friend Jess. Im sending you my best wishes for enjoyable and troublefree trips with your new Varadero .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal