Author Topic: Choose a new name for Honda-Adventure-Riders International Meetings  (Read 19073 times)

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
Vim Cleaning has changed the name to Cif, because they saw the competition about the Varadero International Meetings early..

Norbert_L

• HAR Member
    • We are Lieblers
Simple:
was: VIM - Varadero International Meeting
will : VIM - Varaderofriends International Meeting

VCIF_ThumbUp  VCIF_salut
Best regards
NORBERT_L

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Not sure having VIM as the name for an international meeting of Honda adventure riders sit comfortably with the name of the forum?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:08:06 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
I agree with MrKiwi.  Which is why, when I came back to the Forum, it was one of the first things that struck me as being odd!   I could understand a Varadero Forum supporting a meeting called the Varadero International Meeting but with the forum called Honda Adventure Riders the meeting being called VIM it made no sense.

Here is my logic:
If a new forum was started and it was called Honda Adventure Riders Forum I wonder what name the members would come up with for a Meeting?  Highly unlikely (99%) it would be Varadero International Meeting (VIM), or Varaderofriends International Meeting (VIM) as the names have no connection to the actual name of the Forum.  Isn't that a bit obvious?

If the name VIM is so important and must be retained, why was VIM renamed VCIM at one point with the website address changed to something like VCI-Forum?

Why are we talking about Varadero Friends?  What about CrossTourer Friends?  TransAlp Friends? Africa Twin Friends?  What about the future new Honda Adventure Riders Forum members who have never owned and never will own a Varadero?  What will there emotional connection be to a VaraderoFriends International Meeting? 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:10:35 by james.mc »
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
So far: 
  • Total Members Voted: 15
  • Total Members actually discussing this: 10
  • 34 Replies
Is that it?  Its a very small group of people :(
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:16:47 by james.mc »
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
In addition: you are NOT obliged to make up to 3 votes! If you can cast your preferences with only one (or two) that's fine too.

Bernard.  One cannot vote for the same thing three times if that is your concern?  You may vote up to three times, but each single vote has to be for a different option.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

meine dicke

• Only soaring is nicer
I agree with MrKiwi.  Which is why, when I came back to the Forum, it was one of the first things that struck me as being odd!   I could understand a Varadero Forum supporting a meeting called the Varadero International Meeting but with the forum called Honda Adventure Riders the meeting being called VIM it made no sense.

Here is my logic:
If a new forum was started and it was called Honda Adventure Riders Forum I wonder what name the members would come up with for a Meeting?  Highly unlikely (99%) it would be Varadero International Meeting (VIM), or Varaderofriends International Meeting (VIM) as the names have no connection to the actual name of the Forum.  Isn't that a bit obvious?
But it wasn´t started as a new forum with a new meeting.

If the name VIM is so important and must be retained, why was VIM renamed VCIM at one point with the website address changed to something like VCI-Forum?
Easy to explain. It´s because of getting the CT on board.

Why are we talking about Varadero Friends?  Because every member has a relation to the VARADERO What about CrossTourer Friends?  TransAlp Friends? Africa Twin Friends?  All those can be VARDEROFRIENDS. What about the future new Honda Adventure Riders Forum members who have never owned and never will own a Varadero?  They will have a harbour of MC-riders who accept that they are riding a HONDA ADV bike, if they accept that the origin of this forum had been the VARADERO and - at the moment - most of the members have a very personal binding to this MC. What will there emotional connection be to a VaraderoFriends International Meeting? Pls see above.

If you want to set up a totally new forum with a new meeting this is possible to do. The examples you have at the new AT-forum (CRF) or the CT-forum. But believe me, these members you will never get (back) in a new HONDA ADV forum, they will stay where they are.
But you are right saying that we have to open our forum / meeting to other HONDA ADV MC-riders, but please with keeping the tradition and the origin of the early members and founder(s) of this forum, which has to be in my opinion in holding the old (former) abbreviation "VIM", which is not only a abbreviation as others said it´s a name. Equal how you read this "abbreviation" (Varaderofriends International Meeting -which I prefer -, Varadero International Meeting or ... I do not know).
As I mentioned some Freds before. You have to get the new owners of old Varadero MC to join this forum. If you succeed, this forum/meeting will last next 10 years. If you parallel open the forum to other HONDA ADC MC with any emotional connection to the old MC Varadero you will have a future secured solution.
And if every member now riding any other bike (like me) stays at this forum you will have a kernel to spread the spirit of the VARADERO.

Greetings from the South of Germany
Rainer alias meine dicke
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:14:16 by meine dicke »
Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23;24
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23; 24 (ORGA)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 141.000)

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
meine dicke

All valid points and worthy of further discussion between members.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Tarwdu

• HAR Member
My suggestion would be :-

"Honda Adventure Riders"

reasons :-
It is shorter than some of the other suggestions, making it simpler. This would in effect create a umbrella under which everything else would come under.
The words "Forum" or "Meeting" could be added depending on which it is.
National meetings could add their own country.  e.g "Honda Adventure Riders UK Meeting" just as VIM UK used to be.

GS
My initials are GS but I  ride a Crosstourer.

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
My suggestion would be :-

"Honda Adventure Riders"

reasons :-
It is shorter than some of the other suggestions, making it simpler. This would in effect create a umbrella under which everything else would come under.
The words "Forum" or "Meeting" could be added depending on which it is.
National meetings could add their own country.  e.g "Honda Adventure Riders UK Meeting" just as VIM UK used to be.

GS

I'm with you on that.    The Meeting is touted as being International but I doubt if I could raise interest in a meeting in Canada called Varadero International Meeting or Varaderofriends International Meeting. Due to the low saturation of the Varadero in North America  it will  never fly.  Both names limit the appeal of the International Meeting on a truly international level.

USA & Canada
Adventure bikes are taking off big time in North America now.  From a Honda perspective, the Africa Twin CRF1000L is turning into a great North America success model as far as penetrating the ADV market is concerned.  I think it would be great if the Honda Adventure Riders Forum could be the meeting place for all Honda ADV riders globally and have the option for members to arrange a meeting in their area under the HAR umbrella.  Trying to get North America to meet under the VIM name won't work IMHO.

In Canada I would have more success drawing people to the Honda Adventure Riders Forum and arranging a meeting on the west coast called Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - Vancouver Island (For example).
or on for members on the East coast Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - Newfoundland

Varaderofriends International Meeting - Vancouver Island won't attract any interest I reckon.

Someone in the USA could raise interest in a meeting called Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - California (For example).
Or similar to your suggestion: Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - UK
Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - South Africa
Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - Singapore
Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - New Zealand
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT

If you want to set up a totally new forum with a new meeting this is possible to do. The examples you have at the new AT-forum (CRF) or the CT-forum. But believe me, these members you will never get (back) in a new HONDA ADV forum, they will stay where they are.
I'm not suggesting a new Forum be set up, with a new meeting, as this Forum already exists to cover all Honda ADV bikes.
From what we have learned in past history about the Varadero Forum is neither of the above forums are going to last as they, like the previous Varadero Forum, are named after one model that Honda currently produces and also have the model name as their URL. 
On a personal level I am gutted by all the Varadero information (posts) that has been lost over the years through the forum renaming (New Forum name, new website address) and forum shifting as a result, to suit the introduction of a new model such as the CrossTourer. It's no ones fault the data has been lost. It was caused by the fact that none of us saw the harm that renaming the form and changing the website address a few times would cause.  Since 2003 our community has lost so much information as result (the oldest post in this forum is around 2013-02-11) including a huge amount of VIM history.  This Forum only stores information on VIM's back to 2013.

The current name 'Honda Adventure Riders'  is future proof unless for some strange reason, Honda stop making ADV bikes!  As long as it keep running it will accumulate huge amounts of information and present it far better than any social  media site can.
The ADVRider forum is so successful because it has never changed names (as far as I am aware), URL addresses etc over the years. It has never had a bike model as part of its URL address.  Finally/thankfully this forum is in the same position.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
What might be an idea is for the Forum members to leave the VIM name as it is and set up a new structure in the Forum for International Meetings under the name of Honda Adventure Riders Meeting (for example) and let VIM exist in the Forum alongside.  That might be a compromise for those that want to cling on to the tradition of the VIM name and continue to attend annual Varadero meetings in Europe.  Those that have an interest in the Varadero can continue to organise VIM's and everyone should be happy. 
Bearing in mind that, if they choose to do so, members would certainly be able to set up a HAR Meeting in any country/location in the world they might wish.

This compromise might also help ensure the longevity of the Forum and the meetings it is associated with. I say that because I personally feel that in a few years there will be insufficient drive to maintain the Varadero Meetings as they have been in the past for not other reason than Varadero's are gradually dropping off the radar.
With a new parallel HAR Meeting, if a member wants to set a meeting up in their country and feel that HAR Meeting name better suits their locale, then they can do so under the HAR Meeting name by adding the location to the end. 
eg. 
Honda Adventure Riders Meeting - Malaysia 
HAR Meeting -Malaysia,
HARM - Malaysia (or whatever format is mutually settled upon)
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
When you consider how many members there are in this forum and how few have voted, this is not really grabbing the attention it deserves.
MrKiwi

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
Mr Kiwi has a point.

Forum name isn't that important. Its more important to make the forum active, if its still can be active again.

Social media's has taken over with easy photo sharing while this forum is hardly accessable from a smartphone or tablet. It is not easy to write something from a phone, nor sharing media since servers are limited. Those who are active here are those still using computers.

Forum was a big platform 10 years ago, now the evolution has gone into other platforms and so with this club. Its time for an upgrade and evolve to survive

Forum works as it always has. Like a problem solver for the bikes. The social is the meetings

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Mr Kiwi has a point.

Forum name isn't that important. Its more important to make the forum active, if its still can be active again.

Social media's has taken over with easy photo sharing while this forum is hardly accessable from a smartphone or tablet. It is not easy to write something from a phone, nor sharing media since servers are limited. Those who are active here are those still using computers.

Forum was a big platform 10 years ago, now the evolution has gone into other platforms and so with this club. Its time for an upgrade and evolve to survive

Forum works as it always has. Like a problem solver for the bikes. The social is the meetings

I agree.

One of the reasons why Advrider.com is so active is because the platform was upgraded to make it accessible from PC, tablet and phone. I do 98% of my posting on this forum by PC. On Advrider.com I only do about 60%, the rest by phone.
MrKiwi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal