Author Topic: Q about the future of VCIM  (Read 11081 times)

Past It

• HAR Member
Q about the future of VCIM
« on: June 05, 2015, 20:38:23 »
As to the location of VCIM18, we do not know yet. Bernard is working on this and would welcome any help from people in Belgium. We had a proposal for Belgium, but this now seems to be in doubt. So, we must now do it ourselves. If you can help, please let Bernard know.

I had no idea that the VIM was 'creaking at the hinges'.. I must say, I thought the 60+ turnout for France was poor considering the central location..   Perhaps this EU recession is starting to bite, or  is it that what with all the National Varadero meetings, the International meeting is losing its appeal – at lease in in its present form.

Perhaps it is time to start thinking 'outside the box'.

With many members making the VIM an excuse for a biking tour, how about turning the VIM into a moveable feast?    Barbara and Wolfgang had a nice tour associated with their trip to the VIM – do a similar route with the overnight stops – one/two nights – clearly shown, with the various dates, then let members join in as and when they fancy.  People could ride together or separately.   
Potential accommodation could be shown, but members would make their own bookings.   It would be nice if there was a central eating place for the evenings.
Cost could be kept down to the price of a Tee shirt – ordered and delivered prior to the event.  All other cost would be managed by members themselves.
Staying alive - but without the music!

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: Q about the future of VCIM
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 00:26:16 »
Don’t become a grumpy old man, Barry. Not the first time I mentioned that...  :-*

As long as VCIM (cause that is the name of our meeting since Tarragona) manages to put over 80 participants together from out 20 different countries as remote as Norway, Israël or Russia, VCIM clearly anwsers to an need to meet. It seems that the number of international participants is very solid and the venue still is appealing to many who don't see the location nor accomodation as restriction.

Regarding next yrs venue... The initiator was forced to with draw due to private and unforsehen sircumstances, unfortunately. We are working hard to make the venue happen, even in Belgium.

This topic is however about "where", not "how". ;). I am not planning to take ovef the organisation (again...) but to offer help to an VCIM18 orga-team. Jess and Stewart have already kindly offered their assistance, perhaps you could contribute too?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 00:29:54 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Athanman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 18:55:29 »
Be patience , good things comes to those who wait - '' once upon a time our dear friend Bernard kindly advise me ! I suggest that we should be all patience and WAIT till the org team announce us the good news. ;D
PS: You can count to my help also , don't hesitate to ask if you need anything. ;)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 18:57:50 by Athanman »

Past It

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 20:38:20 »
The VIM becomes the VCIM in an attempt to attract a wider membership.  What will you call it as you attempt to attract African Twin riders?  VCATIM?   But then we should remember the NCX bikes.  How about VCATNCIM?!

You are right to say that “the number of international participants is very solid and the venue still is appealing to many who don't see the location nor accommodation as restriction. “ in that there is a group of riders who appreciate each others company and are prepared to pay the price asked.

Whilst you may still be attracting the odds and ends from some countries, what about the large support we used to get from Austria, Belgium, Italy and Greece?   We even got 10 from the UK at one time!
What are we doing to lose these peoples support?
I find it beyond comprehension that we are unable to get support from the Belgian riders for a meeting in the Ardennes.

P.S. Stewart and Jess, are still trying to organize a VUK meeting for this year.   Perhaps they should consider having a VUK tour of the Ardennes in September to look for likely '  VCATNCIM' site!

p.p.s. Grumpy old man or a stubborn young man - take your choice ;)

Athanman

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 17:51:23 »
The VIM becomes the VCIM in an attempt to attract a wider membership.  What will you call it as you attempt to attract African Twin riders?  VCATIM?   But then we should remember the NCX bikes.  How about VCATNCIM?!

You are right to say that “the number of international participants is very solid and the venue still is appealing to many who don't see the location nor accommodation as restriction. “ in that there is a group of riders who appreciate each others company and are prepared to pay the price asked.

Whilst you may still be attracting the odds and ends from some countries, what about the large support we used to get from Austria, Belgium, Italy and Greece?   We even got 10 from the UK at one time!
What are we doing to lose these peoples support?
I find it beyond comprehension that we are unable to get support from the Belgian riders for a meeting in the Ardennes.

Mr Barry i agree with you. ;)
Honestly im refering to discussions that i have done with Greeks-Italians-Polish-Spanish - Portuguese and French individuals Varadero and other trail bike owners .

They all prefer travel abroad but not come to a Vim as they used to  do before ... why ?
Its not that Honda stopped the production of our Deros is something else obviously.
In a couple of years i assume that the international meeting will turn into a meeting between participants of 2 countries only. :-[

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 21:17:47 »
Honestly, I don't know. I mean, I've been to just two bike meetings in my life  8)

To say something:
-Long term participants are getting older.
-New, younger participants, may feel they joined someone else's party, one where everyone already knows each other. This is not true, of course, as I for one have felt so much welcome within the "family", and I am looking forward to attending to the next one I can.
-For those who can't speak good enough English, the meeting may lose some of its appeal. However, there were people from 20 nations present in France.

Greetings,

Josep

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 21:20:12 »
75 participants from 17 different nations in Norway. The VCIM which was predicted by Barry to become a mistake, because of the supposted bad climate.

80 participants from 20 different nations this year. I simply can not understand your last posting, Manos. Nothing to add to Josep his posting above.

Again: the very first meeting of our community was low budget and organized in 2 weeks time.
20 participants from 6 different nations.  Barry (and Bogdan and me) where amongst them. Had a jolly good time!  ;D

Barry has a valid point that @ our meetings, we have to offer a budget alternative.
I would say... Join the team and work someting out!

About the new announced Africa Twin: This bike is not announced as a successor to the Varadero. The Crosstourer was. Besides that, and you know this as no other, Barry: our meeting has always been inviting Transalp and Africa Twin riders to join.

The Africa Twin however, has a solid and wide spread group off admirers. They will embrace the new bike, I really can't see any advantages if it would become part of our community.

We originally had a XL125V Varadero part on this forum. The idea was that it would become the ideal starter for younger public for joining our community. It went different... and bleeded to death so it was terminated.

Past It

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 00:36:52 »

Barry has a valid point that @ our meetings, we have to offer a budget alternative.
I would say... Join the team and work someting out!

An 'us' and 'them' VIM?    At some VIM'S there is already some aspect of this, where the camp site is away from the central location.

I would like to hear from those nations that have supported us so well in the past, but do so no longer.  Notably the Italians, Greeks, Austrians, Belgians and Poles.   I know that no one person can answer for all their countrymen, but perhaps they could give us their thoughts. 

With regard to the 125 section.  On the UK Varadero Forum it is the 125 section that has the most activity.   But we are still struggling to get the 125cc riders involved in the physical activities of the group.   They seem to see the Varadero UK Forum just as a web based group.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 09:06:25 »
Don't twist my words Barry. Are you really trying to bend the venue that way to it fits your personal needs? Thats the impression some one could get (I am sure that it is not the issue!)

You forgot the Hungarians. We had 300+ participants on the 10th anniversary meeting. From which about 90 from our members. Never seen them again.
We also had 300 participants on VIM6 in Portugal.

This year was the first time since that particular meeting that the Portuguese came back.
All good things.... ;)

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 10:40:46 »

This year was the first time since that particular meeting that the Portuguese came back.

There were a number of Portuguese people in Tamarit.
And there were a number of Poles in France, including Bogdan, who'd missed Tamarit.

Other than the "core of die hard regulars", perhaps it's just about having a "seed" of someone, or a few ones, who persuade other connationals to attend.
Unfortunately, as I participate in no biker activities in my country, I can persuade no one else than my wife  ;)

Regards,

Josep

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 11:43:43 »
Is bigger = better  ?

Athanman

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 12:25:26 »
Guys,
this path ends to a crossroad and then you have to choose the left or the right route.

*The left route will deflate slowly this meeting and in a couple of years no one will remember it.
*The right route will make this meeting last so long, that we will name it ''legendary''.
  Its up to us what will happen..

The main problem is that the Vim turned into a luxurious 5 star meeting and thats why some of our past members never showed up again. The majority believes that if you wish to participate in a motorcycle meeting like ours ,you will do it in order to get known with people from different countries who share the same love and passion about Motorcycle and touring . Moreover a motorcycle meeting should be open for all kinds of bikers (wallets) and not only to those who can pay a small fortune. They all prefer a trip to abroad ,explore new routes , to see new landscapes and stunning scenery , they dont care so much about the 5 star accomodation or the super foods, they obviously prefer spend a weekend in a clean 3 star hotel or in a camping and pay less. Low budget expenses allow everyone join each year meeting.

Please don't misunderstand me and please dont blame me for something.
You all know that i really love this meeting and im feeling you all like my brothers. ;)

PS:Why dont we try this meeting last for many-many years? Why the ducatisti gather 2000-3000 people?Why Vespa meeting has 15.000 people ? 20.000 people participates at BMuu meeting each year in Garmisch (specific country each year) ?What about Harleys meeting? WHAT ABOUT US?
Lets make our meeting every year be a legendary fest! Obviously we will welcome everyone who wish to come and join our honouring fest.

PPS:If we wish the Portuguese -Spanish-Italians-Greeks-Polish-French re join us we should give them a chance to come back to our family, we owe to them .. they are our brothers . :D

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 12:45:43 »
Is bigger = better  ?

Exactly!
There was an more affordable option in Norway. Camping.
There was an more affordable option in France. Camping.

Haven't seen Athanman camping though ;)

Even one of our oldest participants (Jack) was camping.
The XLV750R annual meeting is held every year in Switzerland or Germany.  25 participants.  For 30 yrs in a row.

I can't and I won't judge about the wallets of other people. I can judge my own which is limited. But still I try to make it. I know I have another year to put money aside to participate next years venue. Its all about making choices.

And still I imagine that at an certain moment in the future, I can't join to VCIM, what ever the cause might be.
So be it. Would be the first time in 17 yrs though.

We can't bent our meeting to fit personal needs and thats an utopia in a community with almost 700 active members.

@ Barry: invite us for a future VCIM in Engeland and organize it your way. I'll pop up any way.
@ Manos: invite us for a future VCIM in Greece and organize it your way.  I'll pop up any way.

Its good to have an opinion.  Its perfect to act according to your opinion.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 13:16:15 by Two Plugs »

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 12:46:52 »
I had no idea that the VIM was 'creaking at the hinges'.. I must say, I thought the 60+ turnout for France was poor considering the central location..   Perhaps this EU recession is starting to bite, or  is it that what with all the National Varadero meetings, the International meeting is losing its appeal – at lease in in its present form.

We were much then 60 (60 bikes) in France; I've just been impressed that it was 15% of this forum !!! considering some people are (very) far (Canada, New Zeland, Australia, Malaysia , Brazil etc ...) I think it is a good proportion, and implication of the members . Yes crisis is an element which make difficult for some people to come; some others decide to come despite this and have made great (and appreciated  ;) ) efforts !!! Some others have a real desire to come, but due to some family constraints, cannot ...

I don't think National Varadero meeting make any shadow on the VCIM; It is something completely different; people who have tried can say it ! situation seems to be different in each country (100 bike in Germany ; 34 in France ...  :-\ )

Perhaps it is time to start thinking 'outside the box'.

I personally don't think so: I prefer a good user-friendly meeting with 80 persons then one with 300 you only see your "old" friends ...
The VIM becomes the VCIM in an attempt to attract a wider membership.

Not agree with you Barry; just (as said) because CT is the (announced by Honda) successor of the Varadero; have a look , have we much new members who have not before a Varadero? (Not so much I think).

Belgium is not so large then other countries, and I don't think you have too much contact between the 2 parts... We have no parts here from the Varaderomania.be forum members; I don't know the other part... So they are so little here, but I'm sure we can have a next Belgium VCIM.
In a larger country (France) , you can see it is also difficult to organize such a meeting: ask about that to Jess; it remains in that case only personal involvement of a member; and sometime difficult to manage...

We originally had a XL125V Varadero part on this forum. The idea was that it would become the ideal starter for younger public for joining our community. It went different... and bleeded to death so it was terminated.

Seems we had last year a XLV125 booking from Germany for Norway VCIM (but not venue)

... to be continued ...  ;)

Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 13:08:03 »
Yes, Bernard have answered on some last points; We had a low cost possibility at this next VCIM, some of the participants (25%) have chosen . Riding a bike thru Europe (or far) has always a cost .  You have to make (when you can ) choice; one can be come or not to a VCIM.

I'm not agree with the principe enlarging to others bike:
Varadero Riders have something in common, we have constate since years; due to the personality of the bike (and then from their owners- even if they change)
Seems you have a lot of possibilities to go to "general motorbiking meeting"
IMO you have something special in this one!...

Ducati , HD or BMuu meeting are promote by brands or helped by them ( GoldWing meetings) , you cannot compare with what we can do in our corner ( I had more then 60 phone call to Honda France for some help on this past meeting with the help you know) ... These meeting are more trade fair then people meeting; not sure it is a way we have to take. 
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal