Author Topic: Haunted starter motor !!  (Read 7411 times)

varonda

• AT rallye colours -- a.k.a. grandpa grumpy
Haunted starter motor !!
« on: January 25, 2018, 17:27:08 »
 Got a good one for you to discuss--- on Saturday after a 200km  run round, the AT was washed ,wiped and chain oiled ,then left in the garage , Ok  so far ? then today [ Thursday] whilst in the garage the bike started turning over -- keys were in the house , nobody near it not touched since left after washing. Tried the kill switch --still turning over , went in and got the key  turned ignition on and obviously engine fired up , tried kill switch nothing , key off and engine stopped but still turning over , ended up taking the 20amp fuse out of the fusebox under the seat and that finally stopped the starter motor. After a bit of head scratching and a quick look everything looked dry and OK so put the 20amp fuse back and every thing now ok -- ignition switch Ok kill switch OK starter switch OK  soooo any ideas . Could it be the starter solenoid / relay ? or has the AT become haunted ? ???
If the truth fits---wear it !!!!

cristi-mic

• HAR Member
Re: Haunted starter motor !!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 18:02:32 »
:) The starter relay got somehow "electrified".
It happened once to my father's car, it was in gear and ended up on the other side of the street, parked between two trees.

On-topic, it is less likely that the relay "received" some current on the normal way (from the dedicated electric circuit).
I would bet on the relay itself, which is connected directly to the battery and the starter motor, or some crazy short-circuit on the command circuit close to the relay...

Or it's haunted :)

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 18:32:43 »
From which date is your AT? have you changed the right commodo (stop/start engine) ?
Known problem on the first ones, and honda changes them; they had a short circuit due to melting inside. Oftenly impossible to star the bike .
 VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

varonda

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 21:27:27 »
  Bike was first registered in Jan 2016 and is just out of warranty and the only issue has been the spokes on the rear wheel which was replaced last August under warranty -- other than that  it's been faultless.
 Gonna start looking for an exorcist just in case the supplying dealer is no help.  ;D

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 22:15:44 »
If not changed, sure they can do, because known problem for Honda, even if guarantee is finish...  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

varonda

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 15:42:27 »
 Just to update you on the haunted starter -- the switch has indeed been changed by the dealer and all appears ok --- still can't get my head round the fact that the problem was the switch , in my limited knowledge I would have expected all the switch gear to be dead until the ignition key is turned on !!  the problem I've encountered implies that there is a constant live feed to the starter/kill switch irrespective of whether the ignition key is used . Still love it though. VCIF_ThumbUp
P.S. the rear wheel was replaced last August and is now as bad as the one they took off ,however we're down for a replacement for the replacement as apparently Big H have finally found an answer to this issue  VCIF_ThumbUp good on them .

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 13:01:55 »
Yeah, both switches were poor originally, now changed  VCIF_ThumbUp
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal