Author Topic: CORONA  (Read 8941 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

the prodded dog

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 47
  • Country: gb
  • 2009 Varadero AKA Black Betty
Re: CORONA
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 23:00:12 »
I find myself in a very difficult position. I am desperate to go to VIM but the financial cost of a last minute cancellation is too much.
I see we have three options:-
1. VIM goes ahead as planned.
This requires open borders and the COVID virus eliminated. Not likely by the end of May.
2. VIM postponed until later in the year.
How many of those registered would still be available at a later date? From the Whatsapp group there seems to be some that cannot make plans due to other commitments.
3. VIM is postponed for one year.
This, to me, seems the best option. It allows sufficient time for the world to recover and life gets back to normal.

Personally I have paid 843 ( 950 Euro) for a ferry to Europe for myself, SB and Tardwu. This is not refundable even if the ferry company cancels the sailing in late May. I would be dependent on travel insurance to reimburse the cost less a considerable excess.
I have hotel bookings amounting to 700 ( 790 Euro) that I can cancel providing enough notice is given.
I have already paid 70 ( 80 Euro) for breakdown assistance.
I need to renew my travel insurance by the 20th of May cost 170 (191 Euro) if I am to go. I have underlying health problems and dare not travel without cover.
Their current advice is I would not be covered if I go against current Government advice.
The risk is 1,783 (2,011 Euro) if I don't make a decision soon.

Whilst I appreciate the great desire to make VIM happen this year aren't we being a bit too optimistic. Accept the disappointment and reschedule for one years time. Attendance later in the year is doubtful for many. VIM is a Spring thing.

Of all the registered participants would you please post here if you cannot make later in the year so the Orga team do not waste their efforts in a postponement to later in the year.

With a heavy heart but hopefully full of reason.
The Prodded Dog

ubertourer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 151
  • Country: gb
  • HAR Member
Re: CORONA
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 23:15:50 »
i would rather it postponed as well until next year as too many unknowns. the way this virus is going, borders might be opened up, but there is nothing to say it may flare up again in one country for one reason or another, and you may end up stuck in a lockdown,i for one do not fancy that.

zebulon

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4.393
  • Country: fr
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: CORONA
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 23:46:43 »
Belarus is relying on vodka and sauna's to ward of the virus so I suspect they may be locked down long after everyone else.

Not very important, only Erik have planned to ride thru Belarus  ;D  ;D  ;D

Of all the registered participants would you please post here if you cannot make later in the year so the Orga team do not waste their efforts in a postponement to later in the year.


You see 3 realistic solutions Martyn, you have your preferred , and some other participants have done their choice too ( and announced elsewhere )
My opinion is first orga team have to make propositions, and perhaps organize a survey or ask for participants preferences, and then make their choice.

As previous meeting organizer , I know how it can be difficult when you work so much time on an event, to have such a choice not far from deadline. We are with them whatever is their choice  VCIF_ok VCIF_ok
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SB

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 637
  • Country: gb
Re: CORONA
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 00:50:25 »
3. VIM is postponed for one year.
This, to me, seems the best option.

Assuming that the virus does not reappear again next winter (as some experts are predicting).

Snurrepus

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 297
  • Country: no
  • 2008 Black Beauty
Re: CORONA
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 01:51:58 »
Belarus is relying on vodka and sauna's to ward of the virus so I suspect they may be locked down long after everyone else.

Not very important, only Erik have planned to ride thru Belarus  ;D  ;D  ;D


No problem if the Polish borders still are closed in end of May.
We stay in the Belarusian sauna for a couple of weeks...  ;D ;D
And - the Belarusian vodkas are excellent ::)



A VIM later this year isn't possible for us.
We have planned and paid journeys in August (Germany), September and October (England).
I hope it will be possible to postpone one year.

Long time ago we booked ferries by Stena Line and lots of hotels by Booking.com.
Luckily all can be cancelled a couple of days before with no cancellation fees.
If it will be difficult to enter Belarus and Ukraine, we also booked a refundable ticket with Stena directly from Sweden to Poland.

But - it also depends what happens in Norway.
These days the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs advices against all travels out of Norway.
That means our travel insurances don't apply if we leave the country.
Norwegians arriving to Norway from abroad have to stay two weeks in quarantine at home.

Lets see what happens  VCIF_salut
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:11:42 by Snurrepus »
See you in Bieszczady - sooner or later ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21...?

Jyrays

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1.557
  • Country: fi
  • Crazy Finn!
Re: CORONA
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 09:47:52 »
if they open borders inside Europe, not sure they will outside Shengen ... Britains & Russian cannot enter in that case ...  har_scratch

Not sure what would happen for the UK.

Belarus is relying on vodka and sauna's to ward of the virus so I suspect they may be locked down long after everyone else.

Those are no problem, but they forgot to isolate  VCIF_37_ohh
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Jyrays

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1.557
  • Country: fi
  • Crazy Finn!
Re: CORONA
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:37 »
We have so far only booked our holidays, which can be postponed. I never book any hotels or ferries ahead, as I want to be flexible.

I would say that postponing a year would be the best option though. Don't know how this would effect to organization though. Just my 10 cents...
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

meine dicke

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 817
  • Country: de
  • Only soaring is nicer - Ventus CM D-KCTT
Re: CORONA
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2020, 12:30:23 »
As said twice before,
my deadline for cancellation is 24.05.2020.
And to postpone VIM in late 2020 is no option for me.
If VIM shall be postponed then I propose next year (Pentecost 2021).

Greetings from the Sout of Germay
Rainer aka meine dicke
Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22 (booked)
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22 (booked)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 97.000)

zebulon

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4.393
  • Country: fr
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: CORONA
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2020, 14:58:38 »
Pentecost 21 will be earlier (24th May); perhaps early to ride Tranfaragasan and Transalpina ...  :-\ but wait & see ...
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

zebulon

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4.393
  • Country: fr
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: CORONA
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2020, 12:43:27 »
A lot of persons have deadlines; it will pleasant to have now some information from Orga team, so we can discuss (or not) and have everybody advice and possibilities. waiting for that ASAP on the right post

Take care & stay home, we will ride  VCIF_varaGrey soon  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jyrays

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1.557
  • Country: fi
  • Crazy Finn!
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

zebulon

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4.393
  • Country: fr
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: CORONA
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2020, 12:56:59 »
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SB

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 637
  • Country: gb
Re: CORONA
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2020, 15:11:03 »

Austria is back to where it was 3 weeks ago.

The overall numbers of confirmed infections in Austria have, so far,  been low (12,000) compared to Italy, Spain and Germany (140,000, 130,000 & 95,000).

if the lockdown conditions are eased it is very likely that the infection numbers will start to rise again.

Travel restrictions are going to remain in place for some time yet.

Two Plugs

  • Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3.332
  • Country: nl
  • XL1000V L'iseran 2012
Re: CORONA
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2020, 20:59:52 »
Seems the majority here is in favour of postpone VIM22 to next year. I can only hope the orgateam will keep this in their minds when making the final decision... which in my modest opinion doesn't have to take another month.

I can't make it in September either, how much I would. And as mentioned in a reply above... VIM is a spring thing.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

the prodded dog

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 47
  • Country: gb
  • 2009 Varadero AKA Black Betty
Re: CORONA
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2020, 00:01:12 »
Seems the majority here is in favour of postpone VIM22 to next year. I can only hope the orgateam will keep this in their minds when making the final decision... which in my modest opinion doesn't have to take another month.

I can't make it in September either, how much I would. And as mentioned in a reply above... VIM is a spring thing.

I am not prepared to travel without insurance and ALL EUROPE being open to travel for recreational purposes.September is no good for me.
Waiting a year is not going to harm anybody even if we have to have a different location in Poland.
In the UK we need to arrange ferries to get to Europe and they are already booked. We cannot just turn up. If we cancel now we might just save some money.
I do not see VIM being a possibility this year and we need to accept this. Please, please can the Orga team make a decision. You will offend no one by cancelling.
The Prodded Dog

 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal