Author Topic: DCT  (Read 3579 times)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
DCT
« on: March 10, 2017, 00:52:58 »
In the adventure rider forum there is quite a bit of discussion going on about what happens to the DCT gearbox if the engine cuts out.

Some owners tested this by using the kill switch.  Given that the DCT clutch requires oil pressure to engage, it is not surprising that if you kill the engine using the kill switch, the ECU loses power and the clutch disengages, resulting in the bike coasting. Not a bad thing in my books.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:06:58 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: DCT
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 00:40:59 »
Followed the discussion on ADVrider and agree with your conclusion, David.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 20:17:26 »
The DCT requiring oil pressure to engage was an issue with at least two UK riders after their first service. The bikes revved up and the clutches disengaged whilst they were sitting in traffic and their bikes took off on the back wheel and left them on the road. Haven't heard any more about it recently, but Honda are aware of the issue. It was something to do with oil pressure after the first service.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 20:34:26 »
with DCT if you have the gear in drive mode, reving the engine will cause it to engage. there was no problem as far as I could tell, just people not knowing how to ride with DCT. 
MrKiwi

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 16:56:41 »
I tried again at weekend... If you kill engine with kill switch engine dies (stops responsing gas etc.) but gear does not switch to neutral nor clutch opens as engine starts again after turning kill switch on position (without cranking it with start motor).

So it will have engine braking as selected gear normally has.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 03:36:17 »
My recent trip away was the first long (multi-day) ride I have done on my At since I bought it.

I experimented a lot with the DCT settings but I kept thinking how will I manage riding a manual bike again  8) . And I must say, I really like the hand brake, it is so useful.
MrKiwi

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:52:33 »
My recent trip away was the first long (multi-day) ride I have done on my At since I bought it.

I experimented a lot with the DCT settings but I kept thinking how will I manage riding a manual bike again  8) . And I must say, I really like the hand brake, it is so useful.

Well... you will be back 'old school style' on the right (lol) side of the road in about two month from now ;)
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:58 »

Well... you will be back 'old school style' on the right (lol) side of the road in about two month from now ;)
True that
MrKiwi

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 13:29:35 »
I tried again at weekend... If you kill engine with kill switch engine dies (stops responsing gas etc.) but gear does not switch to neutral nor clutch opens as engine starts again after turning kill switch on position (without cranking it with start motor).

So it will have engine braking as selected gear normally has.

Yep!  The Kill switch is known to not cause the DCT brain to select Neutral.  I would suggest that as long as the engine is spinning there will be oil pressure to the engine and clutches and so yes, the engine will brake in whatever gear was last engaged.  It won't be until the engine has stopped spinning that finally pressure will be lost to the engaged clutch.  From that point pushing the bike will not spin the engine, so the DCT bike can never be bump started from what I can figure.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal