Author Topic: Problems when programming a new key  (Read 9025 times)

ilppis

• XL1000V -03 mk2
Problems when programming a new key
« on: July 12, 2014, 21:48:47 »
I noticed that my spare key doesn't work anymore. It turns the ignition on, but HISS and FI light stay on, so it's not possible to start the motor. I made a conclusion that the transponder in the key had died and thought that I'll buy a new one. When doing research I also found out that if the last key dies, there's no way to program a new key, but one must change the ECU too. So keep in mind that if you have only one key and you lose it (or the transponder dies), you're in trouble.

I found out that a simple cable is needed to program the new key. The programming procedure is described in service manual. I made the preparations to get access to the ignition pulse generator connector and tried to use the cable to do the trick. It gives the diagnostics information properly (for both the empty and the dead key), but I just can't get it to enter the registration mode so that I could program the new key.

The procedure is basically the same for all the Honda bikes with HISS (at least until 2007). It's described here, for example:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/145900-diy-honda-hiss-key-programming.html

Part number for original programming cable: 07XMZ-MBW0101 (costs ~60€)

Anyway, keep in mind that
1) it's good to have two working keys
2) you can get blank keys with transponders cheaper from Ebay than from Honda dealers
3) not too much work is needed to access the connector
4) the cable needs just crocodile connectors for the battery, two wires, 100 ohm resistor and something to connect the cables to the wiring loom

Has anyone else tried this on Varadero with a home-made cable? If yes, did it succeed or not?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 21:51:12 by ilppis »

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
Re: Problems when programming a new key
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:45:02 »
A Dutch company can help if you need a spare key, or if all your keys are damaged.

http://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4107
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:59:48 »
Illpis: valuable posting, tnx for sharing!
Could you share some pics of the 1,2,3,4 steps you have taken to illustrate? Especially step 3 and 4 are worth to illustrate... ;)
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Athanman

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:20:34 »
So far 2 times the  official honda  mechanic has solve this kind of problem for me. Its useful not to forget use the spare key ,every 6 months for instance i change the keys. Moreover AVOID place your mobile phone at the same pocket with the spare key , the key will demagnetize and the results are already mentioned above . The same will happen if you leave your keys near to a tv for a long time.

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 14:11:44 »
Interesting   ;)
Yesterday I read about this on many internet sites.
It's the same procedure for all Honda bikes with HISS.
I ended up with buying some stuff om Ebay, to make my own cable for programming the keys.
If you buy a second hand bike, you can erase all "old" keys that way.

ilppis

• XL1000V -03 mk2
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 22:37:23 »
Snurrepus: Thanks for the link to that Dutch site. That's the solution if nothing else works, or all keys have been lost. It's quite pricey though. It was also good reminder from you that the procedure I mentioned can be used to erase the old keys when buying a used bike. When the ECU is put to registration mode, it registers the key which is currently used and others are cleared from ECU. Other keys (new and old) must be registered after that one by one. Four keys can be registered. Please report to us in this thread whether you were able to program the new key or not using your own cable.

As Athanman stated, it's good to test the spare keys occasionally. I've also been wondering if this key issue is related in someway to the notorious problem where HISS and FI light stays on and the bike can't be started without trying to start the motor, turn ignition of and then trying again. Today I had these problems once again, and it took several tries to get it running.

What's interesting is that the outcome is always the same if I try to use the "broken" key or if you disconnect the ignition pulse generator connector (to program new keys). As discussed in FI light thread some people have get rid of the FI/HISS light problem by changing ignition pulse generator. I've planned that if I can reproduce this issue at home some time, I'll disconnect the IPG connector and read the HISS error codes to see if gives some indication about what's the problem in my case. Service manual describes the immobilizer troubleshooting procedures. The problem is that the FI/HISS issue always occurs on the road...

Two Plugs: I can take few pictures and describe the procedure when I have some time. In some Honda bikes the connector is very easily available, but in Varadero you have to lift the tank and still the connector is not very accessible. Smaller hands would be nice, but I bet an average Varadero owner has bigger than average hands. 

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 13:51:08 »
I gave up the project with key programming.
I think that my Varadero is very difficult, since I haven't read about any others (all Hondas with HISS) who failed.
I'm not able to get the ECU into programming mode.
My dealer gave me some tips. Extra top-charged battery, use the cable without the resistor etc.
But nothing works.
In two weeks I will have my bike serviced in England, so I let them try  :-\

mohamed krema

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 09:38:14 »
i try home made cable in 2003 varadero 1000 and fail  the hiss led turn on and didnt go in register mode

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal