Author Topic: Passenger issues  (Read 10418 times)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
Passenger issues
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:42:53 »
Hi guys, looking for your wives or women's passenger experience !

I recently met a fantastic woman, only issue is she tells me she feels like a banana in the passenger seat, when she tries to hold on me as I ride, so she tends to hold the side grips on the seat and of course she doesn't really like the feel, that's really strange as she isn't taller than me.
Note that was with the seat in low position, don't know if high position will make much of a difference !

So what does your ladies say, any tricks or complaints as well !?

Čeh

• XL1000V
Re: Passenger issues
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 16:07:01 »
Try asking her to try NOT to hold on in any way, her palms on her knees/thighs for a short ride (maybe just up and down a street or so).
In addition try stressing the bit where you explain how she should not fight the bike's lateral movements, and possibly 'absorb' them by slightly bending at the hips when the bike leans left and right.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 00:07:01 »

Zebulon has a good point but is understating it.

The reason his pillion is at ease is because they have ridden together a lot and understand each other.  Gilles is a very good "pilot", plans ahead and avoids "surprises" and Michelle knows his riding style and anticipates what he's going to do.

I've not ridden much with a pillion but when I was young, an apprentice and poor I used to get a lift to and from work on the back of a friends Lambretta 175. We did that 5 days a week for at least 18 months.  I don't remember having to hold on much unless I could tell he was going to something crazy and being young and males it wouldn't have looked very good for me to be holding onto his waist.

I think trust and familiarity is the key.

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 00:24:41 »
 ;D  ;D  ;D We all know that a picture is worth a thousand words ! especially for me when it is in english !!!  ;D  VCIF_ThumbUp

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:39:52 »
That is a good question.

My wife rides with me and has done so for a long time. She understands how I ride and is relaxed in the back. But we have learned the following:
  • As she is shorter than me, by some margin, she cannot see over my shoulder. Having helmet communications greatly enhanced our riding enjoyment as I can now advise of of bumps coming up I can't avoid etc. It also allows us to have a conversation while riding, connecting us in the ride together as opposed to two people in silence on the one bike.
  • She never rides without a top box on the back of the bike. For her it provides a feeling of safety and that she will not fall off the back if I accelerate too fast. It also means she does not have to hold onto to me or the hand rails all the time, only when we are riding through the twisties or I warn her to hold hold for the impending bump in the road.
  • When I buy a new bike (I have had four bikes in the last 8 years) I always get her feedback in the feel of the pillion seat. If it is not comfortable for her the seat gets remade. Having the seat remade to get the feel right is not that expensive.
  • For my Africa Twin, I have also had to change the pillion foot pegs as the standard OEM ones didn't feel comfortable enough.
Cheers from downunder.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:00:51 »
Right David  VCIF_ThumbUp as I've bought this last one before we can see or try it; my only apprehension was it is not enough comfortable for Michelle. I was sure this bike will be ok for me  ;D I've immediately changed the foot pegs by the optional Honda, think the originals are just decorative  ;D yes we ride together since a long time (seems not far from 35 years 8) ) and we know each other quite good; she is in confiance and can sleep on the rear seat   ;D ; and yes as David we communicate and I can announce bumps or hole on the road .
 VCIF_salut

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 16:07:45 »
When I buy a new bike I always get her feedback in the feel of the pillion seat. If it is not comfortable for her...

That's why we don't ride a Crosstourer, nor an Africa Twin.
We ride a VARADERO   ;D ;D ;D VCIF_ThumbUp
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 17:11:21 »
When I buy a new bike I always get her feedback in the feel of the pillion seat. If it is not comfortable for her...

Even Kitty agrees with that part... if she doesn't ride by her own...  ;D ;D ;D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 18:51:25 »

Having owned all three,the AT has a nice long seat, my pillion prefers the AT over the other bikes I've had. The Crosstourer was comfortable to sit on but not a lot of room being about 7 cm shorter than the AT. The Varadero was ok...
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 18:58:01 »
We are both as good on the @T, and it is easier to ride in all conditions (particularly off road) than the Varadero ! so  VCIF_ThumbUp

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 22:01:55 »
  • She never rides without a top box on the back of the bike. For her it provides a feeling of safety and that she will not fall off the back if I accelerate too fast.
No probem here with or without top box; when in off-road configuration we do not take it ( as shown here), and she is comfortable in the 2 situations. But I surely do not accelerate as you  ;)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 23:25:29 »
  • She never rides without a top box on the back of the bike. For her it provides a feeling of safety and that she will not fall off the back if I accelerate too fast.
    [/l][/l][/l][/l]
No probem here with or without top box; when in off-road configuration we do not take it ( as shown here), and she is comfortable in the 2 situations. But I surely do not accelerate as you  ;)
When riding gravel two up I am slow.  When I ride by myself on gravel I'm not that much faster either. On tarmac, well that is altogether a different matter whether one or two up on the bike.  ;D [/list]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 23:29:37 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

Menno

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 23:47:28 »
Nothing beats a Varadero!

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 00:07:28 »
Nothing beats a Varadero!

What we think before having the AT !  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal