Author Topic: Tapatalk  (Read 3686 times)

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
Tapatalk
« on: January 30, 2014, 13:28:36 »
Know this question has been up before and was rejected due to security issues.

Now Tapatalk are more stable and leaks has been sealed.
The old Varadero forum along with the german&austrian forum was hacked anyway and my mailadress was used. So I now receive some mails from german and Italian hustlers who wants to scam me in form of 419 letters. No big deal so I've used Tapatalk over a year in the swedish forum and we had none leaks or spamming users.

So, can we upgrade the forum with Tapatalk? A lot easier for me since I'm using my smartphone quite regularly.

Since I'm always has a joke. You must see this.

This is a clip where scammers are paidback from guys that got tired of those mail and try to keep them busy so they don't have time to scam other more easy fooled people.

Athanman

Re: Tapatalk
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 14:18:29 »
If you want my opinion Skye ,im positive in using Tapatalk But we must ensure all the measures that our community will remain safe and secure from hakers .

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 14:24:45 »
It is safe nowerdays. The old forum was hacked and it did not have Tapatalk, so meaning. Everything is hackable. It is more worse if you have a facebook account or similar. That is really a goldmine getting addresses and info 'bout the users.

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:53:24 »
Posted by Tapatalk last night :

"Today we discovered that someone had used an exploit in a third party plugin on the Tapatalk support forums, leading to the disclosure of email addresses and encrypted passwords, and possibly passwords in cleartext if you attempted to login since December 9th.
Due to this incident, please log into www.tapatalk.com/v2 and change your password."

To be clear, they are saying that this is just the support forum and not the main Tapatalk system.  Tapatalk have responded and reset all passwords as a precaution. They also say that they will be rolling back their support forum site to at least +1  week which means they are not absolutely sure when the breach occurred.

The motive behind the attack and the reason for Tapatalks response to the attack underline my concerns about this system :

Anyone gaining access to tapatalk accounts has the potential to access the databases of any sites that have installed tapatalk plugins.

If you use Tapatalk and have the same password to access this forum you should change your password immediately.

SB

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 12:04:58 »
Since I learned about Tapatalk from Skye and ADV forum a Tapatalk user. I have not received any message that anything 'general' or 'public' should be wrong, and can't find anything about a security breach on their website? From SB's message above, I conclude that the 'breach' involves the support forum, which I don't use. The measures taken by TT seems to be the right one, to insure its safety and security - but I ain't the expert.

- Windows had several security breaches in the past. Still 99% are using it World Wide. There are even people still using XP. Internet Criminals could conquer the Planet with retrieved data. Nothing happened.
- Facebook had several security breaches in the past and some serious issues on aspects of personal privacy. Still, many people use it. Internet Criminals could conquer the Planet with retrieved data. Nothing happened.

Anybody should change a PassWord frequently. And everybody should use separate- non related passwords for every single forum, internet banking, social media, etc. A password vault, f.e. as provided by Norton (if you have an paid account over there, but there are other safe providers too) can help, especially when travelling abroad to alien places where secure internet access is not as obvious as we think.

Don't want to minimalism a supposed safety breach on Tapatalk, but it is unfortunately a reoccurring event with all internet traffic, any time, every where. I would embrace a Tapatalk link with this forum.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:08:45 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:32:17 »
Dunno, everebody with facebook, google and other larger internet accounts is hidden from attacks from hackers. There is always a big risk to be connected to internet whatever you do.

In a fact. The only forum that I've joined in the past 10 years that have giving me spam and database was hacked was the old server of this community that was shared with the German and Austrian forums.

So yes, everything is vulnerable no matter how you are protected,.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 23:17:16 »
I am getting more and more aquented with TapaTalk vv advrider.com.  BRILLIANT. Hosting this Forum on a server which is hosted under the Xenophobic USA Laws frightens me more than a possible safety risk using TapaTalk.

So Q the B*ll and lets go 4 it! ;D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal