Author Topic: 2 Problems I need help with (clocks and side stand)  (Read 8451 times)

Scooby

• HAR Member
2 Problems I need help with (clocks and side stand)
« on: April 28, 2013, 15:47:03 »
It is a 1999 XL1000

Ok 1st problem and most important
The bike leans over so far on side stand it feels unstable just a small push would move it, problem I have is when 2 up I have to lean it on side stand so the wife can get off due to her disability and I don't think the vara will be stable enough to do this, do they make longer side stands or any other ideas?

Problem 2
My speedo is intermittent it works then cuts out then works again when I rev the bike, the rev counter always works so before I delv into the guts of the bike to check every connector anyone had this same problem.

Thanks Chris

Bruvex

• Just Go!
Re: 2 Problems I need help with (clocks and side stand)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 16:07:31 »
Hi Scooby,

About the most important problem I have no idea :( but your second problem occured on my old VFR800FI.
The symptoms you describe are very much the same.  The problem was caused by a faulty (broken) speed-sensor.

Maybe you can look at that first before you take your whole bike apart.
Moto Guzzi V85tt

Prev.:CRF1000L DCT (2016) / BMuu R1200GS (2009) / Honda Varadero SD02 (end 2003) / Honda VFR 800fi / Yamaha Diversion 900 / Yamaha XJ900 / Honda Shadow 600c

VIM 12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/23

allanmac

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 16:19:00 »
Hi Scooby

Starting with the speedo I had a similar problem with a 98 cbr600 the problem on mine turned out to be the connections on the back of the speedo head. The terminals screw onto the ribbon on the back of the clocks and there was corrosion on the surface that the terminals contact. A bit of a gentle clean with some emery and sorted.

The stand issue sounds like my old 99 reg varadero with a hagon shock fitted. May be worth getting an extension welded onto the side stand foot to try and get it to sit up a bit more.

Hope this of some help.

Cheers Allan

Red

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 22:54:47 »
Hi Scooby,

Mines a 2011 va. I bought it used and it had been lowered by 35mm.
The side-stand made it stand 1 degree from vertical! If I breathed on it - it would have gone over (not funny).

I decided to raise it back up, and my heels now *just* touch.
My problem is the obvious bend in my side-stand AND I can't get it on the centre-stand (35 mm gap between tyre and road).
This ain't due to technique - this is due to being 11 stone wet through.

1) I'm gonna cut the centre-stand down by 25mm, have sleeves inserted for more strength, then weld it up.
2) Side-stand; I'm going to try and straighten it, cut it, insert sleeve; re-weld it.

I personally love the severe angle it's at now on the side-stand - my only fear is the strength of the stand to take it. It definitely beats it 'swaying' at vertical!

.... my thoughts!

Red ;-)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 22:56:31 by Red »

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:23:54 »

1) I'm gonna cut the centre-stand down by 25mm, have sleeves inserted for more strength, then weld it up.

Before surgery, why not use a length of 1/2" plywood under the rear tyre ...works a treat!
As you noted, everyone tells us that getting the Vara onto its centre-stand is "technique" ...I struggled for weeks and then "it clicked" and I've no problem now (apart from when I had it on the stand, fully loaded panniers etc. ...and pointing up a modest incline ...I couldn't get it off the stand and had to remove the panniers etc) :-[
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Bugias

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 14:06:23 »
Hi

About the most important problem

You can solve by putting a base of support on the side stand
There is a friend  here in Portugal that created this base.
You can try to solve it.
So the bike is higher, you will not have that feeling of instability.

Here is a link of what I'm talking about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XL1000-Varadero-Bigfoot-Side-Stand-/111056341404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19db79499c

bigshane

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 14:36:42 »
Hi Scooby,

About your stand, I've seen on Ebay a foot that bolts onto your side stand. It has a wider foot but more importantly they lift the stand several mm. Please remember that 1/2 an inch added to the side stand will lift the bike lots so be careful.

Clocks sensor on it's way out. Dave Silver spares.

Hope this helps ;D

Red

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 14:34:41 »

Before surgery, why not use a length of 1/2" plywood under the rear tyre ...works a treat!
As you noted, everyone tells us that getting the Vara onto its centre-stand is "technique" ...I struggled for weeks and then "it clicked" and I've no problem now (apart from when I had it on the stand, fully loaded panniers etc. ...and pointing up a modest incline ...I couldn't get it off the stand and had to remove the panniers etc) :-[

Jasper,

I have family in Canada, maybe I'll 'hop' across and you can show me!

Hmmm, just looked on Google Maps - it's a bit far for a 2 minute instruction, mebbe I'll visit YouTube instead  :o

Red

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 03:40:13 »
 @Red
...if you can get here I'll show you how ;D   ...even in bare feet!
 - Make sure both feet of the centre stand are touching the ground
 - Whilst standing on the centre stand foot thing, I usually rock the bike a couple of times and then lift and pull back  ...up she goes   ...as simple as that ;)

It's a shame that Google Street View didn't go up my local Highway 113 - it's a beautiful run with mixed twisties, lakes, rivers mountains, lava beds (mini Iceland), trees, and ocean  ...oh yes, sometimes the occasional black bear, grizzly bear, moose, coyote and usually lots of eagles.
Sunday - I'm going up Highway 113  -about 460 kms roundtrip  ...as I said it's my local Sunday run.
Today the sun is finally out and we've suddenly gone to 22 deg C  :)
I've been riding since early March ...but it must be warm and dry now because all the Harley's are out 8)

BTW - I'll be in the UK late June near Cambridge, Derby and Whitby ...but bikeless ...if you were closer then I could drop by and show you?   ...and have a ride ;)

I've said before if any of our Canadian riders are going "Up North" (Yukon/Alaska) drop me a note sometime  (Highway 16 and 37 go past my door)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:42:29 by Jasper »
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 09:50:18 »
A tip from Sweden which will work in Canada aswell I suppose.

Some have glued or screwed a junior hockey puck, on the on the sidestand plate.

This is for mostly, not the sidestand to dig into unsolid ground and also raises the bike up a little bit more.

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 18:22:28 »
 ;D ;D ;D

...but it must be regulation size!

Maritimer

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 17:41:55 »
As for the side stand I agree with Skye about the hockey puck. I had a BMuu Dakar f650 that was leaning too much. I cut a puck in 1/2 .I drilled holes in the side stand plate and screwed the puck to it. Worked great. If the whole thickness of the puck it too high, causing the bike not to lean enough, sand down the puck to the thickness required. Simple and efficient.

keirravn

• HAR Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 18:04:44 »
For the speedo - My 99 Varadero was doing the same thing when I bought it, under the right hand 'thigh' panel (when on the bike) there is a black connector which carries the speedo signal, I gave mine a clean and reconnected it and the speedo has been fine ever since.

Red

• HAR Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 00:54:24 »
Regarding my previous post (centre-stand too high) - I've cut it, had it sleeved and welded, blasted and powder coated.

£35 - done. Look's like new.

Brilliant - easy on to the centre-stand now.

Some points to note:

1) This is a Vara 1000, 2011.
2) My rear tyre was originally 35mm off flat ground. I guess-timated 25mm off the centre-stand. Remember - whatever you take off the centre-stand height: the rear tyre will drop by more (length and angle). I'd advise 20mm is enough. (Or work it out - wish I had). The rear tyre is now 5mm off the ground (and the tyre is worn).
3) When cutting the left leg of the stand (the one with the 'foot-lever' attached) - it's already sleeved; so hacksaw through the outer leg only (leaving the inner sleeve intact - awkward, but doable). The sleeve is tack-welded into the foot, but loose at the top - so it slides right out.
4) Before cutting the left leg: grind a small groove down the leg vertically - so that when your cut section is removed - it can be aligned accurately when welding back together.

Hope my mistakes help someone.

My side-stand needs sorting next (which for some unknown reason has a huge bend in it). This should be a simpler fix: cut it, bend it straight-ish, sleeve it, weld it, powder-coat it. (Famous last words).

Red ;-)

Scooby

• HAR Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 03:58:59 »
I bought this and it works perfect, the guy made it custom size for me, 1 1/2 inch worked perfectly to stand my bike up nice.

Can't thank the guy enough it's ment to be 3mm in the add but he made it 38mm.

he was brilliant

Hi

About the most important problem

You can solve by putting a base of support on the side stand
There is a friend  here in Portugal that created this base.
You can try to solve it.
So the bike is higher, you will not have that feeling of instability.

Here is a link of what I'm talking about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XL1000-Varadero-Bigfoot-Side-Stand-/111056341404?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19db79499c

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal