Author Topic: Clutch: Do I need to change it?  (Read 7668 times)

mad_max0204

• HAR Member
Re: Clutch: Do I need to change it?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 21:01:11 »
A bit off-topic but did anyone ever change the clutch on varadero for hydraulic clutch from VTR ?

djcat

• HAR Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 21:27:31 »
OK, so before opening everything I'll clean and lube that pin from outside, makes sense. In the meantime I sprayed some ACF50 into the cable and I think it helped a lot.

That mechanic I went to seems to pull a leg off me, told me now that to change all the clutch plates would be 300 pounds!

Honestly I have never seen a clutch go with less then 100000km unless heavily abused,I will give the pin cleaning a go this Easter.

Thanks for your help!

bayonet

• HAR Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 21:42:10 »
Just thought I'd show you why my clutch had very little adjustment on the cable despite fitting brand new cables.

The arrowed part is a chamfer worn into what should be a flat face for the clutch push rod to push against. This allowed to shaft shown to sit further round than it should have, thus lessening the available adjustment in the cable.

You can also see the marks where the bearing had seized near the top causing it to slip after standing over the christmas holidays. I have done about 4,000 miles since replacing the bearings in the front sprocket cover and this part and the clutch hasn't caused any problems since.
2005 ABS Varadero
83,000 miles/133,000km and counting, can it beat my old Africa Twins for reliability or will it fail miserably?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal