Author Topic: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day one  (Read 9550 times)

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day one
« on: August 02, 2013, 07:23:11 »
Dear Friends
I would like to share with you my trip last month to the Italian Alps, I do that in a day to day diary.

1- Diary No. 1 dated
1 - History
This is trip No. 15 with abroad with my personal motorcycle, I was 9 times in
Turkey. The rest in Europe.
I missed the international meeting of my motorcycle in the middle of May this
year that was held in Walles, I paid the Participation Fee and made the trip track.
The main reason is money that I was supposed to receive from work but came
one month late
2 - new motorcycle
All my travels abroad were done on a Honda motorcycle called Varadero. The
first trip was in 2003 to Greece., And since then over the years until today I
changed eight motorcycles of the same type. Every year I give my motorcycle to
the company and at an extra charge I get a new motorcycle.
Now the company stopped the production of this bike and I had to buy a new
type of motorcycle called CROSSTOURER, it is stronger than the previous ones.
The problem is that I need to replace all the extra equipment (accessories)
I always dreamed of aluminum motorcycle luggage. I contacted some luggage
manufacturers abroad but their was that this bike model is new, and have not yet
made luggage matching this motorcycle. With no alternative I has to match my
old bags to the new bike. Following a strenuous work week of welding , cutting
and painting I pity the neighbors for the noise problems I caused them and the
permanent marks on the tile of our balcony from the work, finally I got it fit the
bike.
I thought I must try the bags when loaded. I remember one trip with the
motorcycle club where one bag of a rider flying which is, something very
unpleasant. I filled the bags with books the weight was 15 kilos, and I went to
work in Ashkelon with the motorcycle and the bags, but still I was not satisfied.
The age of the bags is more than 10 years and have served on 15 previous
trips, the plastic must be worn and may fail at any moment.
I went to the agency of Honda motorcycle and during conversation I mentioned
the bags proble Amir the sales manager told me that they have new bags that
were used for exibition and he can sell them to me cheaply I told Amir If he offers
me a price that I can not refuse I would not refuse. He said that the price of bags
NIS 6000 and is ready I sell them to me for NIS 3000 so I bought the new bags.
3 - Tent
I started my travel abroad with a three season tent that I bought in Israel at about
- 1,500 NIS but this tent does not stand in the rain or extreme weather. Later I
bought from the internet a four seasons Chinese tent, but after four seasons the
tent began to leak in rain. In a camping in Venice, It rained at night and I got up
in the morning on an island with water around the mattress. I promised to myself
that next time I buy the best tent in the market. I made Internet research and the
best tent is TARA HILLBRG, made in Sweden.
The tent cost me to Israel it about NIS 5000. My problem was how to explain to
my wife why I bought a tent that cost NIS 5,000 when a tent is sold at the
supermarket for a price of NIS 100. She told me that even if on this trip I went to
stay at the Hilton hotel it would not have cost me such price . A great admirer of
the tent is my 6 years old grandson Roi, He helped me set up the tent at our
hose and so admired It that I felt obliged to assure him that I he is the inheritor of
this tent after I am gone .
4 – Route preparation
My office was in big mess for two weeks, nothing was the same as previous
trips. After hard struggle with equipment and bags, I just put it inside the bags
with hope to arrange things during the trip
5 – Trip Clothing
To this day, all my travels abroad were made with a leather suit I bought about
10 years ago and I called the cow, holes began to appear, I asked my wife tol
take the suit for repair she asked how much a new suit would cost, I said about
NIS 1000, she said that instead of paying NIS 500 for repair and never have a
new suit it is better to buy a new one. I went to Doron Reshef Technology store,
and said that I wanted to have a suit that meets extreme weather, extreme rain,
hail, snow and everything else., he brought me a suit for - NIS 1700 that seems
like a reasonable price to me.
It had a scpecial Lining for rain Lining for extreme cold weather. I read
somewhere not to travel with new untested things and have to try the equipment.
Wearing the suit on a motorcycle trip to the dead sea. With temperature of 42
degrees C when I was back home the pants were leaking with sweat. my entire
body began to itch, until now it is still itching. I decided that I I will travel with
regular jeens and the coat hanging behind., all linings and other equipment were
kept in the bags for emergency when necessary.
6 - Travel to Haifa
After arranging all the bags and sitting on the motorcycle the tank bag in was
pushing on my stomach and back bag stressing on my back, I was in a vise, to
breathe, I had to push the handlebars so as to press the case back in order to
take a breathe, so I went all the way to Haifa this way.
7 – Shipping agent
When I signed up for this cruise I was told the cost would be 450 Euro plus 100
Euro to be paid in Limassol. I received the decree, I was told to report at 12:00. I
left two hours earlier and started driving, with all the bags it was difficult to control
the motorcycle, At the shipping agent office they began the process of paper, I've
10 years traveling with this company and they know me very well. When I told the
agent that I return on July 31. She said what you also want to come back to
Israel. I replied that I have not intention of leaving Israel for good. She said that
the price is for one-way only, in the end I had to pay 1,100 euros, 5,500 NIS.
Twice as much as what I told my wife about the cost of the cruise. She has not
heard this news yet.
When it's finished I was told to pay port fees, I asked if a senior citizen does not
get half the price as I am a senior citizen and pays a half price by train, bus and
National Parks. I was told that this is the Port Authority and they have no
obligation to obey the laws of the State of Israel. I handed over my passport and
motorcycle license, the clerk looks at each number and letter of the chassis
number consisting of 15 letters, he looks at the number then looks for the number
on the computer and push while searching sometime he forgets the number and
starts all over. The process takes about half an hour, I went to pay, also required
to fill out four forms, payment is a function of a vehicles weight, I said my
motorcycle weighs 250 kilos, and I paid NIS 250. I Should have a said 100 kilos
then I would pay NIS 100. A tourists in the same trip paid NIS 1,200 for his car.
After finishing I was told to go to gate 10 near Kaplan Hospital.
I went there, I was hungry and I remembered that at the entrance to Haifa there
is some shawarma shops. I Did not find the store, I came to the entrance of
Haifa the weather was so hot. I entered the gate 10 and was told to put the
motorcycle at the parking lot and come for the paperwork. Next I was told to go
to gate 5. Again gate 10 they are not used to motorcyle travelling in the ship I
was dead tired I just slept while sitting on a chair.
On the ship
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:58:09 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
Re: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day two
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:26:04 »
Day two
Journal No. 2 as of 12/07/2013
I did not sleep well in the ship The sea was a bit rough so I took a pill for nausea and
they helped me to get more sick. I put the phone alarm to wake me at 5:30, I woke up s
and rushed to turn off the phone, took a shower, the shower stream was so weak I had
to collect water in my hand and pour on the body. I packed my bags and loaded on the
bike.
In Limassol, I took the bike to the customs warehouse as I was told, I went to my she
customs officer that I knew from previous trips and her daughter is doing now
preparatory training as a Dermatologist doctor at Tel Hashomer Hospital and at the
time helped her rent a house in Israel.
She received me like a king with kisses and insisted I eat lunch at her home, I said I
have to get to the ferry on the other side of the island, but nothing helped. The passport
officer remembered me from previous trips we talked biker.
I had to go by foot to Cyprus customs half a kilometer from the motorcycle. As usual
receptionist took hours to put the data to the computer, then pay 20 euro customs fee in
the process. My friend customs officer said she had to go back to the office and when I
finish come to her, I went to the warehouse to get the bike, I was told that four stamps
were missing. I told the man that I am 68 and if I go again to the customs that is of a
distance of 1 km in the sun I might not come back from there., He gave me a glass of
cold water and told me to go anyway.
I went to the clerk, she asked her boss and said evrything that needs to be in the papers
are on the papers, I went to the warehouse manager, he began to make phone calls at
the end he said at the other end of the building there is an office that should verify the
number of chassis and engine. I went to the other side and there was only a cleaning
lady. I asked her if there is somebody in the office, nobody said she.
I went back to the warehouse manager, once more began to phone, comes his boss
more consultation, my friend the customs officer came and started shouting at me why
and did not come back to her office, she took the papers. signed them and said, Take
your motorcycle and come with me to my office.
Meanwhile her husband came to her office, we kissed, and told me to follow his car. I
went with the motorcycle behind. Travel in Cyprus is opposite to what I am used to, it
was hard to travel, we arrived to their villa, huge villa beautiful with Filipino maid. They
served steaks, meatballs and stuffed (mehasha), perfect meal, we finished with a Greek
coffee and I started driving the Turkish side.
I had the Track between the Greek side of Cypris and Turkish side of Cypris listed in my
GPS from previous trips, but google maps showed me another straight path, I thought in
the last two years they have changed the track and drove to the new track. With the
Heat and traffic jams I got exhausted eventualy I put the old route in the GPS and got to
the border, afteter all my trip in Famagustas heat and traffic that was the limit. I stopped
a few minutes drinking water and recovering. Insurance for Cyprus Turkish cost 50
Turkish Lira NIS 100. I went to the Turkish part harbor, bought a ticket to the ferry, I and
the motorcycle cost Turkish Lira 125 250 NIS. Compared NIS 5,500 payment to leave.
I found Israel with the Bike.
A cyclist from England going to do my route, told me that at the beginning of the street
there is an internet cafe from where I'm writing this diary. The time now 21:15 at 22:00 I
have to report to the ferry to Turkey which will continue all night
My bike with my she friend customs office husband, son and dog
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:39:19 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day three
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:27:15 »
Day three

Log No. 3 dated 07/13/2013
After the internet cafe where I wrote the diaries I went to the port of Kerenya, The port
was full of people, all employees returning from Greek Cyprus where they work during
the week to Turkey there were babies, children, women, the elderly with all sorts of
bags and objects.
I ate cheese toast and drank tea at the boat terminal bar, then stood in a giant queue
for passport control, after waiting half an hour I was told that cars including my
motorcycle are inspected through the back and there also is the passport control. I
zigzaged the cars with the motorcycle and stood at the front, inspecting the papers
went smoothly ,
I had to get up on the ship ramp made of wet smooth iron, I asked the Turkish in charge
I might fall, his answer motorcycles did climb before,
I said "Shema Israel" went up quickly and it went safe. I tied the bike and went to where
the chairs (similar to planes chairs.
I chose a seat near the toilets and kiosk. The toilet is Oriental, I was not sure where is
the forward and where is the backward, what confused me is the flushing hose made of
plain rubber thrown in front of the toilet, after several attempts to position myself, I got
the Principel and the event went well.
I sat down and fell asleep like a log. Remember changing positions at night, I got up
around 6:00 with a view of the sea and mountains from the window, it lasted until the
ship docked at 8:30 –at the port of "Tashuju" in Turkey.
Arranging the cars in the ferry is so tight barely 5 cm bumper to bumper they had to fold
the side mirrors, distance from car door to door 10 cm, you can not get into the car
until the neighbor moves. I was the last to leave the ferry, once more paperwork,
I paid insurance for approximately 120 Turkish Lira - 240 ₪ ₪50 airport tax. As usual t
the computer was broken and had to stay at the port till 11:00.
The road to Ankara at first was a scenic road' winding through the mountains and
traveling parallel to a river.
Then I came to the Anatolia Hill, at 1500 meters above sea level. The road was dull, 39
degrees heat, I almost felt asleep, feeling about to dehydrate, I stopped cooked coffee,
smoke a pipe, that gave me the 3 hours of alertnese.
In order to reach the camping as defined by the GPS, I lost my way in Ankara, in the
end I found a hotel near the airport. I asked them if they have camping, they answered
yes and took me to a side yard, they told me that I can use the bathroom and shower in
the hotel. I set up the tent, I was dead tired, I just fell asleep imediatly when I woke up I
saw the tent with morning light.
I asked the hotel and received 4 eggs , I did an omelet with the eggs, coffee and sat
down to write the diary.
In the morning
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:40:53 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day four
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30:10 »
 Day four

Diary No. 4 as of 14/07/2013
I woke up with a light in the tent, I took clean clothes, socks the old socks I have not
changed since I left home, The Jeans pants probably could stand by itself from sweat.
I went to the hotel, the manager took me to the sauna on the basement floor, told me
that all the place is for me. There is a Turkish bath, massage room, showers, toilets and
a what else. I thanked the manager, took a shower, the first shower since I left the ferry.
I cooked my 3 eggs (omelet), tea and toast with turkish bread "Akmk".
I started the job of dismantling the tent and packing the motorcycle, I went to the hotel, I
sat down near a power outlet for the computer and I started writing diary, no. 3, I asked
for coffee, I could not explain what it is Cappuccino in turkey therefore I received instant
coffee, after the writing the diary, it turned out that the internet is broken, so it was not
possible to send the diary.
I started the trip with aim to Istanbul, I thought maybe I could cross the border today to
Greece a Distance of 600 km, then I thought why kill thyself, I am traveling without GPS
planning, I have to get to a place where I can organize travel plans so that everything
would be in place,
I decided I would stay the night in a camping near Istanbul where I stayed two years
ago near the sea.
It was cold on the way, 24 degrees, all the time I went with a completely open jacket
and half gloves , I stopped on the road side, shut the coat and put on winter gloves,
My fuel gauge starts blinking when there is enough gas left fot 60 km and then shows
how much fuel is left. I told myself I was on the main road to Istanbul, sure no fuel
problem I'll start looking for a gas station after +less than - 40 km. I got to 40 km, no gas
station, 30 km, no station, 20 km no station, serious business, That is really what I need
now to get stuck without fuel. On the last 10km I reached village and there was gas
station, at last salvation, I went to the pump, the operator put the nozzle nothing
happend, He said, "Yok" in Turkish no. Just next door another petrol station and over
there also go "Yok" They told me to go across the street, I had to travel 10 kilometers to
a square in order to reach the opposite track. Fuel at last.
I took with me in this trip two credit cards one of the first international bank and one of
Mizrahi. I told my wife that my biggest fear in life is to get stuck abroad with no money,
check with the bank that there will be no problem.
For the last few days Mizrahi's card did not want to work, I though I gave it to the
attendant for trial , he ironed it and said "Yok", well it was expected, gave the
international bank card. Again "Yok" I counted all my little money with the addition of
Euros left and I survived the gas station.
When I left Israel I took 200 euros and tied them to my underware, I calculated that I
could survive two days. My wife is supposed to travel abread today, I called and after
several phones back and forth, I was told that the cards do not work in ironing but they
do work on ATM
I found an ATM and they did worke I drew from both banks ₪1,000 cash in order not to
get to a similar situation.
It is allowed to travel in bypass Istanbul road, 120 km per hour. Turks traveling like
crazy, zigzag, cut they really get you scared. Went to a petrol station to refuel and there
was an open restaurant even if it is "Ramadan" I ordered "Mercy Mac" soup rice and
beans it is my first Turkish meal since the journey started.
I ended camping where I was two years ago. then it was May, I was camping all alone.
now with all my people here. Fully filled "a mother would not know about her child".
Pitched the tent, wrote the diary, and getting ready to make dinner.
My she neighbor who lives behind the hut a plump one, Told me her name, I told her I
Jacques. Went to the hut and returned with the kind of falafel, said thank you and I had,
I began to am Jack she went home and came back with a Flafel. I thanked her and
continued cooking dinner.Suddenly my she neighbor came with a plate full of
watermelon, a whole watermelon, I was little confused kind of embarrassed I told her
thanks, she patted me on the back. I was left stunned. Does she want to start with me,
Does she appreciate me, my motorcycle and all the scenery or feel sorry for me.
If I have tomorrow an upset stomach I do not know if to associate it with the Israeli
sausage I brought with me and suffered extreme temperature in the motorcycle bag or
a whole watermelon I ate.
Scenery on the way
In camping and my she neighbors cottage
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 18:52:10 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day five
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:31:42 »
Day five

Diary No. 05 dated as of 15/07/2013
Last night I wanted to organize the route for tomorrow and load it to GPS, Suddenly I
saw the tent filled with morning light the clock 6:00. Quite simply I was so tired I just fell
asleep.
Shaved, showered, it is difficult to perform the job with an oriental toilet, every person
before traveling to Turkey should train to squat at home as if sitting on an oriental toilet
and try to make it last a few minutes. For me I could not feel stable and feet hurt.
All the shower could do is drip a few drops of water at a time, I had to stand for about
fifteen minutes until most of the soap came down of my body.
Dismantling the tent and loading equipment on the bike drill of the day, I did not leave
the place before I went into the hut of my neighboring she Turkey women, she could not
be found, but I saw her husband and son, I thanked them with all my heart,
I set out to the boundary town called Apsilo, the way was full of signs showing the way.
The Turks call Greece "Yonanstan" that was listed in all the signs. Turks apparently not
want Greeks to pay them a visit, a very bumpy road.
paperwork checking on both sides of the border went smooth, on the Greek side they
demanded GREENCARD insurance the stupid people from the I ordered the insurance
wrote motorcycle type "Yamaha" instead of Honda. When they saw that the number of
chassis and the engine was the same they just let off.
I entered Greece, highway speed 130 km/hour. I entered the motorway and found
myself driving the opposite direction, correcting myself could only be done after 15 km
until I found an interchange.
Aigonmsta the port city from which I will take a ferry is 650 km. All the way I fest sleepy,
coffee + pipe did not help. Lately I found that REDBULL drink helps you to stay awake.
I told myself if I continue and sleep on the way this is the end of me, I'll sleep in the
closest camp distance about 160 km in the city of "Kabbalah". Not easy to find the
campsite, the city roads goes up and down, making it more difficult for me is not to be
able to make a full turn because the GPS comes in contact with the tank bag in the
motorcycle.
The Camping site is a great place right on the sea with swimming pool, restaurants and
a lot of people. They took for a pitch lot 20 euros (100 ₪) including electricity + internet.
I set up the tent, I reinstalled the GPS so that it would not touch the suitcase, currently
writing the diary and plan to eat at the pool.
All camping in Turkey have terrible Internet, I hope that here I can settle the matter of
the diary.
My home for the night

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:45:24 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day six
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:32:55 »
 Day six

Diary No. 06 dated 16/07/2013
I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of rain, I got up in the morning, all
around dry, When you live in a tent, you have to keep things in order, you should fold
the sleeping bag and putting it to its bag, next the mattress, four things are charged
during the night, computer, phone, helmet headset, camera batteries.
I took the shower equipment and went to the public bathroom, an old lady began crying
to me in an unfamiliar language, I said I was in a hurry, she insisted I did not understand
what was happening, she said coffee, I thought she invites me for coffee, I said thank
you and went, she came running, grabbed me and took me in to her house, she brought
a small gas stove for making coffee and a small replacement gas canister, I realized
that she wants me to replace the gas. I had to open two clips, remove the old and insert
the new by force my finger goat caught, I wanted to cry from pain but I was ashamed to
do so, I went into the shower, finished and when returning to the direction of the tent it
began to rain.
One of the things that I learned from my fellow tent people in the previous international
our motorcycle meeting is to bring a folding chair, I bought one at Home Center, When I
sat on it for the first time, It broke, I thought of returning the chair back to Israel and get
a refund, as it is I am overloaded, the chair finished its future in the garbage.
My breakfast was bread from yesterday, My inlaw Naoumi taught us how to use a
perforated steel plate in order to make toast from bread, I made tea, with dry milk from a
tube brought from Israel.
Every time I light the coffee burner, the rising flame burns my arms hair, my arm now
has the smell of burnt feathers,
I started to dismantle the tent in the rain, got out the rain coat lining and waterproof
riding pants. I packed everything on the bike in the rain, I went to out into the city, I
stopped at the store, I bought three bottles of water, bread and REDBULL that became
a great product against sleep.
I got to an intersection, it was written Thessaloniki and pointed to two directions, I
assumed one highway and the other ordinary roadd, not sure which way to take. I chose
one road that took me in parallel to the sea, certainly not fast but I was the only one on
the road, and it was a great scenic road one side mountains, the other side the sea.
I stopped to cook coffee and planned to eat sardine with bread, sardines that I brought
from Israel is over, I ate bread and jam with coffee. Raining intermittently. Getting hot, I
took off the top riding pants and I stayed with Jeans, and I also took the lining of the
coat of rain.
The road meets the main road. Became a way thru the mountain, perhaps 50% of the
way is through the tunnels, It was raining outside the tunnels, inside the tunnels it
seems as if raining and the road is wet. I began getting cold. Motorcycle thermometer
shows 20 degrees. In Greece you must not stop on the side of the road, because it is
also used by cars. You can only stop at regulated parking. At the end of every tunnel
there is a dead corner so I stopped there and wore the rain pants and attached the rain
coat lining, this process was repeated four times. Driving thru the rain in cold weather of
the mountains.
I reached Aigonomista, there it was so hot 32 degrees, I bought a ticket to Ancona Italy
for - 110 EUR ₪550. The ship sets sail at 20:00.
I went through the port of Street with the motorcycle stopped at a bank ATM to withdraw
money from it, all my credit cards do not work ironing so I have to pay cash only.
Groups of hundreds of young people waiting for the ferry, there were motorcycles, the
ferry arrived, they let us in, gave us a parking place for motorcycle.
I climbed aboard the ferry to all available and space is occupied by the young.
I went down to the Motorcycle and dug a sleeping bag I found a corner outside in the
open air and decided to sleep there, I saw my neighbors put up a tent in the ferry, I went
own to the garage, but the garage was locked, I found the plane chairs hall. Got a place
and spent the night.
On the road to the port Igonominista
Motorcycles on the wait to board the ferry
Groups of young people on the wait for the ferry
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:48:08 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day seven
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 07:33:47 »
 Day seven

Journal No. 07, dated 17-07-2013 Wednesday
I woke up in the ferry chair at 5:50, the window shows only sea. I had to go to the
bathroom, all passages are full of young people asleep in sleeping bags. I had no way
out, at the end I jumped, passed over and crossed sleepers
I went to the bar that opens all night, drank coffee and ate a cheese mufin. I was told
that the ship will arrive 11:00. The distance to the camping in Venice where I slept three
times in the past) is160 km. To reach the Alps (Dolomites) camping near the city of
Bolzan is 350 kilometers (we are speaking of as the crow flies distances not car driving
distance). I decided to save one night and go straight to the Dolomites camping which I
really enjoyed being there 3 years ago during the International my motorcycle meeting
in the Austrian Alps.
The ferry docked, as usual motorcycles last to leave, I went to the city of Ancona, I went
out of the harbor, I saw a barrier where my bike can cross, I moved on and went to the
main road, An Italian policeman, stopping me, (apparently told by phone that somebody
is escaping the port inspection). I said good morning in English, I want to go to Venice,
he told me to go back and on the second round take the "Autobahn" to Bologna.
I put on the GPS the target that I needs to get there. But the GPS gives a direct air route
and not the car driven road
I took the road parallel to the Sea, a narrow road, I found a bank, Mizrahi bank card as
usual during this trip is not working. I used the first national bank card at the ATM, and
pulled 200 euros, about ₪1000 (Giving credit card to gas station and stores does not
work for me, I have to work with cash money all the time). Most of the money goes to
fueling; a full tank filling cost about 40 euros, 200 ₪, and is good for about 300 kms.
I found the highway to Bologna, took a ticket from the highway entrance point. I drove
according to the GPS direction and travel directions coincided. On a petrol station, I
stopped, ate pasta, drank Capochino neat and beautiful places.
I continued my travel, I saw the highway continues north while the GPS directs to the
east to the sea, I decided to go off the highway and drive on ordinary roads, I paid
about 10 euros and left the highway.
I got to the sea, in order to go to the direction of my destiny I had to travel narrow roads
entering the center of villages Speed 30 k/h all this time on my second gear of the bike,
my bike has 6 gear changes, driving long distances on the second gear kills the
motorcycle engine. Distance left 200 km. I stopped at a gas station, I asked the gas
station attendant if there is a main road to reach my destiny (Bolzano) town near the
campsite.
He took the computer, went to Google, and showed by the way passing through the
town of Virona.
When I started my travel , I canceled all Internet communications from the phone. On a
previous travel I did not stop the internet on the phone and returning home I was
charged several thousands of shekels. I must have left the GPS working, it works
through the internet abroad I could not turn cancel the payment even with the threat of a
lawsuit.
I wrote down the name of the city on my phones GPS, the phone began to give
instructions, and took me out of the narrow roads to the highway, you enter the
highway gate, you press a button and get a ticket.
When you come out, you put the card and the machine tells you how much to pay, you
pay the machine and the gate opens. I left the highway, following the GPS instructions
and find myself again entering, the card and paying I see myself in the GPS going the
opposite direction, the next exit point is 15 km. Then re-paying the ticket, get another
card, this repeated itself six times, see the complexities of registering the GPS. (the
GPS records the track and to restore it). Time 23:00 remaining 200 km. Is the camping
open when I arrive or have to spend the night or what is left of it on the street. Actually I
am well equipped and be able to survive anywhere.
At the end I see myself in the dark driving through the mountains, I see fog enveloping
the mountains in the dark.
I passed a town called Farfira when I worked at Herzliya municipality ther was an
engineer of that name, we used to make fun of his name this must be his home town.
Hitting 130 kilometers per hour, bypassing trucks my cancelation was that I knew I was
on the right track.
Had to refuel, eat sandwich at the petrol station and I went on, I got to the camping
around 24:00. There was not the one to ask, so I just picked a spot and made my tent in
the darkness but for a torch light.
This is the final point of my journey so for the event I drank a sip of whiskey CHEVAS
from the small bottle I brought with me and went to sleep.
Getting mixed up at the fast highway
The sleepers The sleepers
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:50:35 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
Re: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 8
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:34:32 »
Day 8

[attachment deleted by admin]

Athanman

Re: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day one
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:26:58 »
Hey Jack thanks for sharing mate. Keep posting . ;)

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 11:33:51 »
Jack, you never cease to amaze me!
BTW, nice "landscape" pictures on the 14th  ;D

Congratulations for your bike, and the wise use you make of it! :)

Regards,

Josep

Madero

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 11:58:15 »
What a great adventure again Jack! Have a very good time in the alps and please be careful!
 ;D

Regards
Madero

Btw: Don't be too generous to waiters! A €5,= tip over a €15,= bill is a bit over the top!

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 9
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 15:12:28 »
Day 9

Diary No. 09 dated 19.07.2013 Friday
Today I doing the trip to the Italian Alps (the Dolomite). The GPS track I made 3 years
ago for the International meeting of my motorcycle in the Austrian Alps, but did not have
time to use it. I guess this trip was missing subconsciously so in planning this trip I
chose the Dolomite.
I took all the bags off the bike in order to have more control over the bike in the
mountain roads.
I cooked eggs and tea for breakfasr.
I prepared dressing for cold weather up the mountain, I added the padded a coat lining
for the riding coat. I wore heavy riding pants on to of the jeans.
I also took the thermal head cover.
I started off. The GPS asked me if I wanted to go to the beginning of the track, I
answered yes. The GPS showed me a track, and the track went in the GPS with a dark
red color, I thought this was the way in which the GPS shows the beginning of the track.
I drove in a wonderful scenic road with high mountains on both sided, with snow on their
peaks. Beautiful view. Picturesque towns. You feel like you're traveling in a postcard.
After about 100 kms I see a sign that I am in Austria. Something has gone wrong, I do
not remember the path goes through Austria. Examination shows that I am not even
close to the planed track.
I drove back and went in the direction of the original track. Narrow winding mountain
roads.
Temperature dropped from the temperature in the camping area of 29c. to 12c.
I finished the trip at about 18:00. I went back to the camping, had lunch, paid the bill in
order to be free to leave tomorrow.
Tomorrow I have to start the journey back home, I need to find out if to take a ferry from
Venice or Ancona. This time I'm going to plan the route so that with God help not to
have serious complications.
Dolomite route

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:52:39 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 10
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 15:13:20 »
Day 10

Diary No. 10 dated 20.07.2013 Saturday
The day before I checked in the internet, there is a ship to the port of Venice Italy to
Igonimista Greece. At 12:20, the distance between the camping in the Dolomites to
Venice is about 260 km. I Planned a detailed route and sent it to the GPS. I paid the
camping bill about 45 euro 225 ₪ for three nights accommodation + electricity +
internet. I think it is the best camping I was in this trip.
At evening winds began blowing, the sky was black with clouds, thunder, rain. I can
hear my neighbors banging on the pegs that hold their tents to strengthen them. Even
one of my tent pegs came out, There is a thin layer of soil and underneath there is
stone, so you can not knock pegs in depth. I put back the peg in place.
In the morning I packed up everything on the bike, I went through the city of Bolzano, to
refuel, pulled money from an ATM and went off.
It was early and my tent neighbors were still asleep so I did not prepare breakfast at the
camping, I still have two eggs from the first day in the camp. I think I could hear the
displacement of the chick in the egg, so I threw the eggs into the garbage.
In the first filling station on the highway I stopped for breakfast, filled full of people.
Saturday everybody at holiday. In the station restaurant they have prepared breakfast
dishes, I chose cappuccino, cheese sandwich and chocolate cake at a cost of 7.5 Euro
₪38. Also bought two cans of REDBULL.
I came to Venice, a little sleepy, the clerk at the shipping company told me that there is
a festival in Venice, so the ship docked at Malaga, 10 km from here. I have the choice
of going by myself or wait to leave by group. Sure leave by group, if I go alone I would
end up in Germany, and I waited for the convoy to the new port.
I ate lunch on the ship choose spagaty with tomato sauce. I was afraid to take cheese, I
remember two years ago the cheese was smelly and I could not eat the meal. In the
evening I ate spagaty with tomato sauce and cheese and was reasonable.
I bought at the ship a ticket with satellite internet surfing for two hours and now I have
free time to update my diaries.
Unless I camp tomorrow in the city of "Kabbalah" distance 450 km I can not catch the
ferry to Israel Wednesday that reaches Israel on Thursday. (there is a weekly ferry to
Israel so if you miss one you have to wait for a week).
I prepared the route on the computer but I can not transfer it to the GPS because the
USP cable is in the motorcycle and the motorcycle is locked in the ships garage and no
way I can get therte. I shall trasfer the route to the GPS tomorrow before strarting the
trip.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:53:42 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 11
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 15:13:59 »
Day 11

Diary No. 11 dated 07/21/2013 Sunday
I decided to cut the trip to two weeks instead of three.
The days of return are determined from the weekly date of return of the ship from
Limassol in Cyprus to Haifa which is Wednesday of each week.
I calculated that I can get back the same way I came, and sleep in the same places, and
to be in Cyprus on Wednesday for return voyage to Israel.
Later I counted the days on my fingers, I saw that I had a day surplus and need to plan
what to do with it.
This is not a responsible way to determine the trip planning, I took a pen and paper and
wrote down where to sleep every night, tonight I'll sleep "Kavala" in Greece distance
500 km from "Igonimista" where the ship is supposed to dock at 15:00.
Suddenly I realize that I lack a day. That means I have to do what I did when coming in
two days to do in a day of cycling. That is tomorrow I have to do 900 kms. If things do
not go according to the new plan, and if the worst comes to the worst I will have to stay
another week.
All those who need to get off at the dock at "Igonissista" in northern Greece took their
things and stood in the hall. At the gate to the ships garage was a Greek sailor that did
not let anyone go down.
We stood crowded for about half an hour until they let us down. I organized the return
route on the computer, but had no UPS cable, the cable was on the motorcycle and I
could not transfer the planned track to GPS.
Before I begin the journey of 500 km to the camping "Kavala" I need at "Igonimista":
A - load the route from the computer to the GPS
B- To withdraw money from a bank ATM for fuel and food.
I managed to pull 200 Euro from a bank on the street on the beach.
I had to upturn my bags in order to pull the USB cable. I sat on the sidewalk and loaded
the track to the GPS, I got up I discovered that I was sitting on a thrown chowing gum,
the gum stuck to the pants bottom and to my boots. I ignored it. Then I discovered that
the gum stuck also from my pants to the bike seat, and from that stuck to the rain
riding pants.
At 17:00 I started driving, I thought to myself that you can see some day light until
21:30.
I went up to the mountains it began to be cold and rainy. I stopped and wore
appropriate clothing. I drove from tunnel to tunnel.
21:00 and I still have 150 km to my camping destination. Black clouds and a storm
gathered, it started with lightning, strong rain you could hardly see in front of you. You
see a curtain of rain that suddenly is thrown into the helmet and could not see anything.
You see lightning hit your head. What to do. enter a parking and set up a tent., but
without a covering roof I will be wet before I can set up a tent, eventually kept driving.
With strong wind pushing me aside. I was really in a state of despair.
After about an hour the storm calmed down and could drive normally.
23:00 I arrived to "Kavalah", I drove the coastal road 5 times without finding the
camping that I stayed in a week before, as if the earth had swallowed it.
I considered sleeping in a hotel, I asked where there is a hotel, I went, from outside the
hotel was with such luxury beyond my budget.
At the end of the beach I found a kind of concrete parking. I said I would sleep here till
morning. A snack bar was open, I went there, and saw a motorcycle same mark I had
before, I asked who is the owner of the motorcycle, and the man in charge said he is the
owner, I said I'm a big fan of the bike, and I showed my suitcase stickers of the
international meeting in Spain of this brand of bike.
Immediately we become the old friends. I asked if there is a camping on the beach, he
said of course there is under the name of "Beelitz." It is about 500 meters north.
I travelled and the camping was there, there was no one at the entrance, and the gate
was open, I set up the tent where I was a week ago I did not enforce the tent with pegs
in order not to wake all the neighbors at one o clock in the morning, and went straight to
bed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:54:13 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 12
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 15:15:25 »
Day 12

Diary No. 12 dated 22.07.2013
A long day is ahead about 900 km from 'Kavala' in Greece to Ankara in Turkey.
I woke up tired after yesterday, I showered, dismantled the tent, loading all gear on the
bike, made breakfast consisted of bread from yesterday, toasted, tea, jam that is all I
found suitable for breakfast in the food bag of the motorcycle.
I went to the camping reception office and was still close at 8:00. I sat nearby until the
reception girl came. I paid and went off.
Passing Greek cities to the border with Turkey. Border crossing from the Greek side to
the Turkish side passed without something special.
First Turkish town I tried to contact the shipping company to inform them that I am
returning this week, but for some reason the phone says there's no reception.
About 100 km before Istanbul on the highway there are money collection gates that are
automated, I go through and alarm starts ringing. I hope that I would not get a fat bill to
pay in Israel. There is no place from which to buy the tickets.
The road was parallel to the beach, a nice scenic drive but without end. In Turkey all
the roads are long and seems without end.
I neared Istanbul, where there are bypass roads around the city. I chose the most
remote road circling of the city. Here I ran into a traffic jam. You drive 5 meters and
stop. I'm sure that cars suffer much less than me. Burning heat, with all the weight on
the bike , the bike behaves like a pendulum and not easy to stop and control.
I tried not to move forward immediately and instead of moving 5 meters to wait and
move 10 meters at a time. What does it matter, the moment I tried that, horns began
wailing from behind, let me see you trying to explain that it makes no difference in
Turkish.
I got to the suspended bridge between Europe and Asia, It is a magnificent view I wish I
could take a picture, but nowhere to stop.
On the way to Ankara, another huge jam for another hour. Suddenly I feel pressure from
behind a minibus did not stop in time and gave me a push, I released the brakes and
then the pressure was gone. I signal to the driver what are you doing, he waved with his
hand a sign that he was sorry.
The traffic jam lasted for another hour with all the nerves. Little by little there was a
movement.
Finally I arrived at 23:00 to Ankara to the hotel near the airport where there is camping.
I went to the reception and said I want to do camping, Another camper was also parked
in the lot. I set up the tent. I made a mushroom soup that I brought with me from Israel
and with the Turkish bread "Akmk" I bought on the way I dipped the bread in the soup
and ate. Immediately fell asleep.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:54:43 by Jack Sawdayee »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal