Author Topic: AT puncture problem  (Read 8633 times)

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
AT puncture problem
« on: December 28, 2016, 21:25:01 »
Since I recieved my new AT the problem of puncture fixing toubles me because there is the inner tube,
A crazy idea came to me and I would like to discuss it with you.
What happens if I drill another hole in the wheel ring put two inner tubes. the hole is for inserting the sencond inner tube inflating pipe.
It is possibel to not inflate one of the inner tubes and leave it without air untill you have a puncture then you inflate the second undamage inner tube, or it is possibel to inflate both and if you have a puncture just add air to the undamaged inner tube.
what do you think,
Do you recommend for me to test that.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: AT puncture problem
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 21:59:47 »
two tubes won't work. You can convert the rims to tubeless.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 03:48:54 »
MrKiwi

Tarwdu

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 18:39:27 »
I know this post will not be very usefull but what the hell were Honda thinking when they decided to use tube type wheels.
I have had my doubts about several issues already on the AT and this takes it even further to say that this is a low budget bike.
The question to ask, Are tube type wheels cheaper to produce?
Unlike past Honda production this one may be a white elephant!
My initials are GS but I  ride a Crosstourer.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:53:04 »
I know this post will not be very usefull but what the hell were Honda thinking when they decided to use tube type wheels.
I have had my doubts about several issues already on the AT and this takes it even further to say that this is a low budget bike.
The question to ask, Are tube type wheels cheaper to produce?
Unlike past Honda production this one may be a white elephant!

Because on gravel if your rim gets dented tubes are better. The correct answer to this is six of one half a dozen of the other when weighing up pros and cons for tubed versus tubeless. Remember this bike is designed specifically for both gravel and paved roads, it was the gravel bit Honda is mindful of.
MrKiwi

Tarwdu

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 11:41:51 »
, it was the gravel bit Honda is mindful of.

If Honda were thinking about riding on gravel and tarmac, they could have used tubeless type wheels with the option of putting tubes in them.
In future models I can see this as a mod by Honda to stop this bad publicity.

<Quote edited > zeb
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 22:49:01 by zebulon »
My initials are GS but I  ride a Crosstourer.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 12:52:46 »
Well I for one disagree.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 19:40:50 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 14:53:15 »
Tubeless tyres is something I did truly welcome when I bought my Varadero. I had few punctures with my previous bikes, but they were quite annoying experiences.

I wonder if KTM Adventure bikes have tubeless rims too. BTW, I don't remember seeing any comparative test between AT and KTM 1190 or 1050  ::)

Greetings,

Josep

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 19:16:47 »
I believe the big KTM adventure bikes are all tubeless.
MrKiwi

mr_diver

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 18:49:13 »
Try getting a tubeless tyre on and off the rim in the middle of know where. You simply wont.
Ok you may be able to plug it, but what Honda were going for is for those who fit Dual Sport or knobbly Tres that don't come in the tubeless option.

You also can't run a Tubeless tyre under 20psi without the real risk of getting the tyre off the the rim. Tube Tyres can run low PSI's when off tarmac.

The AT is designed to be as dual purpose as a big adventure bike can be. Spoked, tube rims was the only way to go.

Don't get me wrong, replacing tubes is a pita, but practice and carrying the right tools and a puncture repair kit and all will be good.

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 19:39:35 »
I'm not an expert by any means but I've had two bikes with tubed tires - KLR and CRF250L. Not a problem on either. You can get heavy duty tubes that are even more puncture resistant but as far as I understand tubes are pretty tried and true technology that give more flexibility for offroad use and work just fine at highway speeds. Rather than a liability it might actually be a bonus - tour far away, lower tire pressures and explore offroad, then pump them back up to street pressure for touring again.
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 16:12:36 »
, it was the gravel bit Honda is mindful of.

If Honda were thinking about riding on gravel and tarmac, they could have used tubeless type wheels with the option of putting tubes in them.
In future models I can see this as a mod by Honda to stop this bad publicity.

<Quote edited > zeb

Somehow a weird discussion, Gareth, sorry to say. When the CRF1000 was introduced - as correctly stated by David - the bike was placed as a prober 50/50 bike, with the balance tipping over to offroad. You knew this when purchasing the bike... Sorry to hear you have been disappointed (over and over?) by your bike... there is only one proper solution: Buy another bike if the CRF1000 doesn't fit your expectations, get back on a Varadero, Crosstourer or (oh, forgive me this blasphemy!) a BMuu or so... with tubeless wheels...  ;D

I have (and still am) riding bikes with tubes (David's Transalp, both XLV's) and never had any problems with them. The only serious tyre problems I had on the half a million motorcycle kilometres (from which 270.000 with tubes) I have covered the last 25 years where with tubeless tires...  ;D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:17:22 »
What about this, https://www.puncturesafe.com/puncturesafe-technical.php , check the BMuu club mail in testimonials seems pretty impressive !

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 12:36:07 »
We use such a product in mountain bike tires since years with excellent results  VCIF_ThumbUp but you can see it is used on tubeless tires  :-\
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 12:42:36 »
Nope they say both tube and tubeless are possible and if you read the testimonial, they talk about people doing a long trip without problems.

"as Cynthia Milton and John Adams demonstrated during their recent trip to Pakistan. John's RI00GS rear tyre was badly damaged by a two-inch long bolt, but retained pressure well enough to be fitted with a new inner tube later. Cynthia was unaware of any problems, but when replacing her R80GS rear tyre after returning home she found the marks of 12 punctures which had been sealed without her even being aware of them! To cover 20,000 miles on one set of tyres through some of the worst roads in the Middle East and Asia without having to even remove the wheels is sufficient testimony for Puncturesafe. I have used it in my car tyres for almost 20,000 miles, and can also confirm its claims."

And being a UK company it's easy for us europeans to get some !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal