Author Topic: Q: Chunnel-TunnelSousLaManche vs ferry  (Read 1032 times)

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Q: Chunnel-TunnelSousLaManche vs ferry
« on: February 13, 2024, 18:15:40 »
Hello friends,

this summer, if everything goes as expected, I will be riding a bike to the UK for the 6th time.
In the five preceding cases I crossed the Channel by ferry, either booking one or just getting there (Calais or Dover) and taking the next one. For some reason, I never had the chance (years ago) or bothered (more recently) to consider the tunnel alternative.

So here is my (naive) question. From your actual experience, what are the pros and cons of using the tunnel vs the traditional ferry alternative?
How expensive is either? If I took the tunnel, should I book in advance or I can just get there? How long in advance should I reach the boarding point? What else can you tell me that is relevant?

Thank you!

SB

• Administrator
Re: Q: Chunnel-TunnelSousLaManche vs ferry
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 22:05:23 »

Hello Josep

I've used the tunnel a few times by car and bike. I've always had a booking when using it.

I think it's easier (no walking or stairs) , quicker (45 minutes Vs 2 hours) and more comfortable that the ferry but the view from the windows is not very good  ;)

Depending on how/when you book it's a little bit more expensive typically £100 Vs £75 for a return trip.

SB

Bruvex

• Just Go!
Re: Q: Chunnel-TunnelSousLaManche vs ferry
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 09:10:26 »

Hello Josep

I've used the tunnel a few times by car and bike. I've always had a booking when using it.

I think it's easier (no walking or stairs) , quicker (45 minutes Vs 2 hours) and more comfortable that the ferry but the view from the windows is not very good  ;)

Depending on how/when you book it's a little bit more expensive typically £100 Vs £75 for a return trip.

SB

Hi Josep,

I also used the tunnel last year and I felt very comfortable with it.
I booked my trip and came in time for check-in. There I was told that there was still space on the train that was preparing to leave so if I wanted I could get an earlier crossing what was fine of course.

So I agree completely with SB.

Greetings,
Bruno

Moto Guzzi V85tt

Prev.:CRF1000L DCT (2016) / BMuu R1200GS (2009) / Honda Varadero SD02 (end 2003) / Honda VFR 800fi / Yamaha Diversion 900 / Yamaha XJ900 / Honda Shadow 600c

VIM 12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/23

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal