Author Topic: NordKapp  (Read 9853 times)

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
NordKapp
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:58 »
I know at least 3 people are going to try for NordKapp after vim this year

I was wondering if anyone else has plans to try?
Is there another word for synonym?

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: NordKapp
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 13:10:43 »
Just do it, Spence. It's one of the places you need to visit on a motorbike. Include the Lofoten Isles on your way up. Stunning... Don't ride with your helmet open or a jet helmet... Your lower jaw will drop out, amazed by the landscapes you will pass through.

I've done the trip in 1997 on my Transalp 600 and it still is one of my most memorable motorcycle trips I have done.
Unfortunately I can't make it this year due to my work. But I would- and I can- recommend it to any one who is playing with the idea!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 17:29:28 »
Yes me and 2 other guys. The plan is still up in the air but we will set off after vim and have an adventure up through Norway.

I'm just wondering what people think are must do's

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Madero

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 18:01:14 »
Originally I had the same idea.
Now I had to cancel this because
- my wife will now definitely join me on my trip to vim!
- we both must be back in time because of our dog
- we both have another holiday planned end june/beginning july in Denmark
- a long trip to the Northcape after VIM will cost an extra lot of money that I hardly have at this moment  :-\

So, maybe another year..........but then I would probably go not further than Lofoten.

Btw : I was wondering if the Nortcape would be accessible this early in the year

Must do :
- visit Lofoten (to my opinion more beautiful than Northcape)
- buy a good mosquito spray!

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 19:03:53 »
Sure French guy Biker have planned nordkapp after this VIM. You can perhaps send him a PM .  ;)
Not for me , neither Exvara.
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Hege71

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 22:38:06 »
My big dream is a journey to the Nordkapp. I plan it before VIM16 but it depends on my wallet. :-\
It would be about 8.000 km. What's the weather like there in the end of May and the early June? Do I need a snow chain? ;)

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 23:02:15 »
If on the way up it gets this bad then i might have to rethink  ::)

Then again that looks fun  ;D

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 07:16:02 »

A Varadero doesn't need snow chain.. Not in 10th February 2011.

Better tyres perhaps..

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:18:50 by Skye »

Bønne

• VCIF/HARK.DK/XL-Forum.SE/HVRoN.NO/VUK
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:01 »
Well, now we are running "scare campaign" again ;)

Take a look at this link: http://www.yr.no/klima/

Choose a weather station, e.g. Tromsø:

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/Troms%C3%B8/Troms%C3%B8_observation_site/climate.html

Choose a month in the box to the right, e.g. may or june:

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/Troms%C3%B8/Troms%C3%B8_observation_site/climate.month05.html

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/Troms%C3%B8/Troms%C3%B8_observation_site/climate.month06.html

As you see, predominantly positive temperatures, so, I don´t believe it will be necessary with neither spikes nor
chains. I also believe that as E6 is the main road up through Norway, and the fact that E69 to the North Cape
is a tourist route, these roads will be kept free from snow as early as possible.
But, looking at the average temperatures, respectively +4,8 and +9,1, I think I would recommend to go there in
june, that means after the VCIM-meeting.

Then there is this link too:

http://www.senorge.no/aboutsenorge.html

Here you choose "SNØ" (snow), and get to this site:

http://www.senorge.no/index.html?p=senorgeny&st=snow

Now choose "Snow dept" to the left, zoom in at the north of norway and choose date in the box in the middle
at the top. You can then go back to may or june 2013 (or 2012/2011...), to se the snow dept at that time. In the
box "supporting maps" to the right you can choose "roads" to get them on the map.

Yes, I know that this is statistics, and variations will always occur, but maybe some of our norwegian friends
can tell if I´m right or wrong?
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

XL 1000 VA8, Chevalier Silver Metallic

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:01 »
I have been to NordKapp... 25 degrees Celsius and SUN which won't set in the evening!  ;D
Have to search for the pictures... Me in Bermuda shorts at the Nordkapp monument...

1997...  ;D When I was still young and innocent... eh, leave it at 'young'!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

V Saarela

• HAR Member
    • saarela.se
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 12:37:28 »
Average temparatur example at Alta is much warmer than in my hometown.

Area is my almost my backyard. Of course I will not want to scare people of going there in may/june( I take my input of)

Bønne

• VCIF/HARK.DK/XL-Forum.SE/HVRoN.NO/VUK
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 16:10:56 »
V Saarela, Hakuna Matata ;)

What I mean is that numptyspence asks if someone is going to the North Cape in connection with VCIM16, Hege71 asks about the weather in may/june...and suddenly the tread is about snowchains, spikes and videos from february.

Well, it´s not permafrost in Norway and as Two Plugs writes, it can in fact be nice and warm in norway, also at the North Cape.

The same thing happened in the tread "Hotel & Camping", where it suddenly turned out to be raining 365 days in Norway (in leap year 366 days  ;D ), but fact is that it doesn´t! I can understand that people want to know about the weather pre the trip, but not why many answers make it much worse than it is and turns the tread to something quite different.

I don´t understand this pessimism, is it because then one can only be pleasantly surprised or get it right?

This pessimism might keep some people away from Norway, and the meeting, and who are interested in that?!

This picture is taken 17 may in Kyrksæterøra, a small town at the coast, west from Trondheim. The temperature was 25-30 degrees and I walked around the town in a short-sleeved summer shirt.
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

XL 1000 VA8, Chevalier Silver Metallic

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 19:12:02 »
For me every opinion is valuable ! I know I have to take warm clothes; I don't try to go under the tent(  despite the price  :) But I ride every day here and have 15°C under zero during one week 2 years ago ... But we have to prevent these (perhaps) winter condition; and hope we will be under sun and nice temperature to benefit our trip  8)  :D
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 19:18:11 »
Very often late May brings hotter temperatures. We call it "Russian heat" where winds coming from the middle of Russia with warm temperature.

It can be +27° C during daytime and the day is long above the artic circle. Often warmer than it is in the middle of Germany at the same time.

Since Geiranger is located in the mountain range of the scandic and altitude is above normal, weather can varies alot. Just depending of airpressure if it is a low or high or just between at 1013 Hpa. It could be cloudy and rainy in the morning. 2 hours later you have a sunny day. 10 minutes later, it rains again... It happens very fast. The gulfstream outside the norwegian coast is also a factor. Warm water and cold temperature.

It is 2 hours between the photos.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 19:20:17 by Skye »

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 20:35:16 »
You cant worry about the weather your a biker!! .   8)

You should always carry the right gear for all possibilities. but also know when  enough is enough and keep safe.  ;)

Im not worried about the weather. It will be what it will be. And ill pack both shorts and extra warm socks  ;D

I'm just worried about missing something on the way up  :-[  And want to know if their are any must do's on the way up.

We are going to be in tents and in hyatt's so hope to really experience the country. and if anyone else is going up happy to share a beer   VCIF_a025 if we meet. Actually at prices in Norway i will have to share  ;D ;D

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal