Author Topic: Africa Twin bashplate  (Read 4741 times)

Squily

• HAR Member
Africa Twin bashplate
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:43:31 »
Finally fitted the AT bash plate on the Vara. Surprisingly easy-

•     the two front bolts match up
        you need to do a bit of cutting to get the bashplate fit around the crashbars
        need to drill two holes in the back to fit onto the existing mountings on the side
        need to make two spacers to ft between the bashplate and the fittings- 10mm on the left and 35mm on the right
        need to cut the ear off the right hand side at the back else it will press against the sidecover
        need to beat out the rear mounting for the AT bashplate on the bottom- it's inverse and won't fit against the exhaust pipe
        can't use the original plastics without cutting them, so I didn't

All in all, not so great looking as the standard, but I'm sure it'll provide better protection and the sump is now enclosed

PS: I also welded an extra bit onto the centre stand with a brace on the right to fix the 'leaning' problem expereince with SW Motech centrestand

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: Africa Twin bashplate
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 18:57:09 »
Tnx for sharing... You are quick!  ;D ;)

Could it be possible to share an oversight picture of the bike with the @twin bashplate? Just to see how it looks from a distance / different angles?
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Squily

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:04:20 »
Your wish is my command.

And also on a question 2-plugs asked in the ADV forum in case someone else want to know:
It's an RD07 bashplate, purchased from Singapore at around $US235 including delivery.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:03:27 by Squily »

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:12:35 »
My 2cts? IT LOOKS GREAT!  ;)
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Ironman.WP

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 21:53:41 »
Great job!!  Looks flippen nice. Looking from a distance,  one could be easily mistaken into thinking it was made for the Vara! 👌
Four wheels moves the body   ....but two wheels moves the soul..

Squily

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:33 »
Discovered an oil leak on the Vara after the trip. Pulled everything apart yesterday and the source is a crack in the sump. Whole sump-guard misformed/dented in the approximate spot.

I've now added a second aluminum plate on the inside of the sumpguard of the bashplate to give it more strength- the original allu is only about 2mm thick and I think 4mm would be better.

djcat

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 12:40:27 »
Finally fitted the AT bash plate on the Vara. Surprisingly easy-

•     the two front bolts match up
        you need to do a bit of cutting to get the bashplate fit around the crashbars
        need to drill two holes in the back to fit onto the existing mountings on the side
        need to make two spacers to ft between the bashplate and the fittings- 10mm on the left and 35mm on the right
        need to cut the ear off the right hand side at the back else it will press against the sidecover
        need to beat out the rear mounting for the AT bashplate on the bottom- it's inverse and won't fit against the exhaust pipe
        can't use the original plastics without cutting them, so I didn't

All in all, not so great looking as the standard, but I'm sure it'll provide better protection and the sump is now enclosed

PS: I also welded an extra bit onto the centre stand with a brace on the right to fix the 'leaning' problem expereince with SW Motech centrestand

Sorry if a little out of context here, but do you have footpegs on your crashbars?

Squily

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:02:45 »
not at all, and yes. Position indicated on photo below. if wanted, I can post some closeups and 'how they work' shots

thecivvie

• HAR Member
    • One Man, One Bike 24,000km
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 13:17:10 »
How do you find the AT bash plate, apart from being a little thin. I am heading to Russia and Mongolia on my SD01, all tarmac where possible, and have bought a bash plate but some people say it grinds out on leaning

Squily

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:27:12 »
Quote from:  thecivvie
How do you find the AT bash plate, apart from being a little thin. I am heading to Russia and Mongolia on my SD01, all tarmac where possible, and have bought a bash plate but some people say it grinds out on leaning

Sorry for the belated response.

Yes, they are a bit thin. I cracked a sump 'through' the bashplate. I've also seen a rock go through an Africa Twin's bashy and on into the sump many years ago.

I mounted an additional 3mm plate inside the standard bashplate and I'm sure that'll take care of anything. Apart from ground clearance, I've not had any 'scraping issues'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal