Author Topic: My first over night tour  (Read 2640 times)

JoshK

• HAR Member
My first over night tour
« on: July 31, 2015, 21:43:00 »
I am about to head out on my first over night tour of Northern Ontario I'm thinking it should be around 1500km-2000km  with all my site seeing and visiting I have planed. I will be sure to take some snap shots as I go.
2008 Honda Varadero
2008 Honda Shadow Aero750 (Gone)

Old Tom

• HAR Member
Re: My first over night tour
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:42:33 »
Look forward. To your report and piccies 📷

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 00:58:33 »
Look forward. To your report and piccies 📷

could not agree more!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:57:18 »
...and, I expect to see some hard core camping with the bears and other critters ( no motels!) Hope you enjoy the experience. It's wonderful to get away with the Varadero for a few days VCIF_ThumbUp
Don't forget the ride report
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

JoshK

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 20:55:45 »
I made it home from my first over nighter.
I left on the Saturday on a long weekend and forgot to take the traffic into consideration, I missed my afternoon fairy and I had to wait for 5 hours for the last boat ride of the day, the time I made it to the island I had another 3 hour ride through the worst deer and moose country I have ever experienced and it was at night, after a slow ride I made it to my hotel (sorry Jasper). That morning the sun was shinning until about 10:00 until the rain and it did not end all day. When I was about 2 hours from home the sky turned on me and sheet clouds rolled in with the scariest green apocalypse looking sky I have ever seen. The wind was about 140km and the hail was crazy, luckily I found refuge under a overpass. The wind and hail stopped and I was happy to head home. Over all I had only about 4 hours of a nice scenic ride, the rest was in traffic, dark animal infested, rain and extreme weather.
it did provide me with a lot of experience and even more trust in my noble xl1000.
I will try to post a few pictures in the near future.
Josh
2008 Honda Varadero

Maritimer

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:51:50 »
It sounds as if you have the right bike for the trip. "Adventure bike". You'll remember that first over nighter for some time but there will be better trips.

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 11:45:03 »
Wow! What an experience! :o A nightmare that, with time, you will probably tell about with pride (and hope it doesn't happen again)

When you say "the worst deer and moose country", you mean that you had some of these animals crossing suddenly before you? I have met boars on the road a dozen times in my life, and certainly I would be rather scared to meet them on a regular basis.

Greetings,

Josep

JoshK

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 17:30:18 »
Yes Josep, I was on Manitoulin Island Ontario Canada, and the deer and moose where very active. I did not have any run out in front of me but I did see a lot in the ditch and the side of the road. It has such a high number of animals in that area the government set up a infra-red animal detection system with posts that detect movement of large animals and light up signs to inform drivers or riders. saying that no signs where illuminated yet the I did see a lot of animals....
2008 Honda Varadero

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 07:37:20 »
 VCIF_ThumbUp....this is what it's all about....the experience and the tales you can tell afterwards. As often said, it's the journey more than the destination. The destination is just an excuse to ride!
Next time you need a small tent to experience waking at 2am to some strange snuffling and grunting noise....and not getting any sleep for the rest of the night...and, yes it's raining and blowing as well. Think...is the side stand sinking in the mud?  Which way is the bike leaning? Will it fall on the tent? Etc etc
Most of all enjoy the experience...whatever happens!
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 22:00:55 »
Sounds like a challenging but interesting trip. You're bound to have a few weather events on a long trip. The more frequently you go the better prepared you are and you know exactly what to bring along. Any photos?
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal