Author Topic: Clicking noise when brakes applied?  (Read 3513 times)

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
Clicking noise when brakes applied?
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:13:14 »
Pleased to see the Varaderos are still around!
I still have my 2009 with 92k km. I replaced the rotors (EBC) last year and now have a rapid clicking when I apply the brakes. I checked all the bolts, torque, abs sensor gap, alignment, etc.
Hard to tell, but it seems to occur with rear pedal as well. It is a clicking sound, not a pulse or vibration. Braking is still effective and not like under abs.
Any thoughts?
Is there anyway to test the abs modulator/ relays / sensors? This is a new part of the bike for me :(
My Haynes manual is quite vague about this...
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

SB

• Administrator
Re: Clicking noise when brakes applied?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:44:30 »
Jasper

The ABS system goes through a "Self-diagnosis" procedure every time the ignition is turned on.

When the ignition is turned on the ABS light should come on and stay on until the  bike is in first gear and moving at approx 6 MPH (10 km/h).

If the ABS light blinks at any stage it's and indication that a fault has been detected and a fault code stored.

Does your ABS light blink ?

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:02:58 »
Pleased to see the Varaderos are still around!
I still have my 2009 with 92k km. I replaced the rotors (EBC) last year and now have a rapid clicking when I apply the brakes. I checked all the bolts, torque, abs sensor gap, alignment, etc.
Hard to tell, but it seems to occur with rear pedal as well. It is a clicking sound, not a pulse or vibration. Braking is still effective and not like under abs.
Any thoughts?
Is there anyway to test the abs modulator/ relays / sensors? This is a new part of the bike for me :(
My Haynes manual is quite vague about this...
Did this sound occured after changing the rotors or after winter hibernation?

If it is after hibernation there might be small residue of rust/dust/pads on rotor as the bike was not moved during long period. You can listen the rotors when turned freely (not riding) and if the same sound comes it comes from rotors/dirt on them.

If it is since you have changed the rotors you have got bad pair of them.

ABS would cause trembling feeling on your hand and some ticking from modulators.

As SB mentioned if ABS light goes of ABS and all related components are ok. If ABS is not ok it disables itself and act like bike without ABS.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:04:31 »
Thanks for the replies. It started after the rotors were installed, late last year, before hibernation (I still have 3 metre snowbanks on the driveway). The rotors do appear to be flat and no distortion or runout. I'll check the pads again but they were in good shape. I guess one cross-check will be to reinstall the old rotors... I never throw anything out!
The red abs light goes out soon after moving and does not flash .

OT
Apart from the brake issue she's running beautifully ....in fact, has anyone got one for sale in BC, Canada? I looked at other bikes and apart from the AT there's  nothing comparable
I'm also attempting to resurrect a 1981 GS750EX
Happy Riding
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 05:35:04 »
Put the original disks back on and problem solved!
Now I have a partly used set of EBC front disks.....out of any warranty

P.S....just placed an order for a Candy Red AT DCT  VCIF_ThumbUp

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 13:35:48 »

great  VCIF_ThumbUp
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 14:38:32 »
Put the original disks back on and problem solved!
Now I have a partly used set of EBC front disks.....out of any warranty

Good!
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal