Author Topic: Turn signal and hazardlight problem  (Read 2646 times)

Bulloween

• HAR Member
Turn signal and hazardlight problem
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:08 »
Hi guys, I'm getting trouble with my turn signals and hazardlight. When I'm riding the bike sometimes the turn signals (both left and right) and the hazardlight are gone. Then I switched the hazardlight on and keep driving and suddenly the hazardlight start to blink then turn signals start to work again. After sometime (still driving) the signals and hazardlight gone again. I couldn't figure out the pattern (exactly when stop working and when start working, it's all random) I uninstall the switch block and clean everything, checked for a failure or a stripped wire or connection, flash some electrical connection spray and install the block. But nothing changes, still I have the same problem. What I did was before this problem, I changed the rear turn signals with led ones but don't changed the relay. I made this upgrade to more then 10 of my bikes and I never had problems except fast blinking. So I need your oppinions to solve my problem. 

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: Turn signal and hazardlight problem
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 17:51:13 »
We know some direction light problems on this bike , but oftenly on cold weather ... and WD40 in the stalk and everything come in order ...
Sure your problem comes from you Led light and you have surely to add some electronic resistance.
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 18:03:16 »
And I can add if you have only changed rear lights, do not change the relay, it will come very hot with "normal" front lights ...
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 19:40:36 »
WD40 (or any contact spray) would be my 1st choice too. If that doesn't work, it does work to dismantle the switchunit and give it a proper clean. You would be surprised how much dirt / dust catches up in a switch control unit...!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 21:36:15 »

How about putting the standard indicators back on and seeing if the problem goes away !

meine dicke

• Only soaring is nicer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 22:20:46 »
Just change the blinker is not enough

LEDs have a significantly lower power consumption (wattage) than conventional bulbs. Who ever had a turn signal bulb has blown, the will have noticed this quickly at greatly increased blink rate. The flasher relay lacked namely half of the "burden", with which it works in the correct clock. Greater extent, this happens if you (for each side), two 21-watt standard flashers replaced for example by two LED indicators, each with 1.5 watts. Now the original flasher relay is instead of 42 watts (2 x 21) with only 3 watts (2 x 1.5) loaded - that does not work. This problem can be solved in two ways: Either you installed a dedicated LED flasher relay, or to "deceive" the original flasher relay lamps with proper wattage before, where one switches between electrical resistances. By the way: legally are flashing frequencies of 90 bars (plus / minus tolerance 30) allowed.

May be this will help you.
At the end you only changed the rear blinkers, what at the moment I canīt evaluate.

Greetings from the South of Germany
Rainer alias meine dicke
Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23;24
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23; 24 (ORGA)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 139.000)

Bulloween

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 15:18:38 »
Thank you guys for your quick responds. I cleaned the switch block with wd 40, contact cleaner, then dismantle it and cleaned it, checked for the shortcuts, joints etc etc. everything is fine. I suspect from the rear led signals too, but I have two blackbirds with led rear turn signals with original relay (same as varaderos - by the way, besides engine, seats and plastics they are completely identical.) I never ever have this problem. Again in my old Transalps and A. Twins I both have led rear lights but never have a problem like this. I know the amper problems with leds and bulbs but I couldn't figure out why it works, stops and works again without any clue. I will install the bulb signals again. If it works the I'll keep them, but I still want to solve the mystery  ::) 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal