Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer - Honda's biggest Adventure Tourer > Crosstourer riders experiences

Crosstourer and Varadero comparison - a personal point of view

(1/4) > >>

MrKiwi:
Hi all
I've now had my 2013 VFR1200X (2013 model year) for a just over one month and I have done three good rides on it to get familiar with its handling in the wet, in the dry and on hilly roads, with a little bit of gravel thrown in.  As Iv'e done this, I've been comparing in my mind how this bike rides and performs compared to my 2007 Varadero I had previously owned.  In short, from my personal point of view, the VFR1200X is a lot better than my previous Varadero.  My conclusions are:

* Centre of gravity is lower on the CT.  This transforms the bikes handling and ride ability.  The bike is more stable through concerns and is easier to maneuver.  The bikes are very similar in weight, but with the centre of gravity lower down on the CT, the CT feels much lighter other than at very low speeds.
* The power to weight ratio is better.  The V4 motor has a lovely feel to it, has a more even power band throughout it rev range and has good pulling characteristics from low revs.
* The CT, in my view, is easier to ride in gravel than the Varadero.  The Varadero is top heavy and if you get your line wrong it is very unforgiving.  The CT is still a handful to if you hit a corner in gravel at too high a speed, but overall it rides the loose stuff with more ease than the Varadero.
* The only negative I have found to date is a slightly higher fuel consumption.  That is to be expected with the bigger motor and an extra cylinder.
For me both the Varadero and the CT have good riding positions, comfortable seats and all day long touring comfort. Out of the box suspension is good for both, meaning less need to tinker around with modifications to the suspension, unless of course you want to go more hard core off road.

Having put some good time on both machines, the CT is my favourite of the two by quite a margin.  Cheers from down under... 8)

varaquiero:
Hi sounds like you are very happy with CT and thats what counts. No matter what bike you ride i think you will be happy with it, the best is just to RIDE.

Madero:
Thanx for sharing this information Mr Kiwi! Good to hear that you like the CT!
Lots of fun with your new bike  :)

italy1:
I tried the CT and loved it. Agree with most of your comments, bike feel lighter and the handling reflects the lower center of gravity. I am 6 ft5" but I feel sorry for shorter riders who may struggle with the top heavy varadero. I still like my Dero and found the riding position equally comfortable on the CT.

I am not an expert in off roading by any stretch of the imagination but riding the CT made me feel comfortable enough to have a go, something I would not dream of on the lardy beast..... the price tag makes a big difference tho......made it for me.

Thanks for sharing your comments :)

hondapaneuro:
Indeed it is a very personal thing to be truly satisfied with your bike... probably why I'm on Vara No7 !
I've had the CT out for a weekend and a couple of other test rides too, but just can't bring myself to buy one.
For me; it's not a V twin, it's not as roomy (especially 2 up), it doesn't offer the same wind/weather protection.
Then there's the shocking price, the crap standard luggage and single sided exhaust.
Other than that it's a good bike, performance, handling, looks, etc.
If / when I have to change I'd sooner by a CT than any of the offerings from the other manufacturers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version