Author Topic: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day one  (Read 9476 times)

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 13
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 15:16:14 »
Day 13

Diary No. 13 dated 23.07.2013 Tuesday
When I saw light thru the tent I looked at the clock 6:00.
I went to the hotel reception, the security guard opened the club in the basement which
housed a shower and toilet. I took a shower, shaved, showered for the first time since
the ferry, in the ferry I do not carry with me shower things everything is in the bike and
the bike is locked in ships garage.
I dismantled the tent and packed all the gear on the bike, made breakfast with what I
had, tea with Turkish bread "Akmk" and jam.
I paid the hotel bill 50 Turkish pounds about NIL 100. I said goodbye and I left.
Today I have about 500 km to the port "Tashujou" in southern Turkey. I had no
problem to find the out of Ankara highway.
On the way it started to get cold, altitude 1200 meters above sea level. I was dressed in
my normal summer riding jacket. Temperature dropped to 14 degrees, and was cloudy,
I remember when I drived this road on coming to Turkey it was like an oven. I said to
myself that in the next corner the heat would rise.
I started to get cold, a person can die of cold, I stopped, got dressed with warm clothes
and went on the road.
The great enemy during a long ride is falling asleep. Fatigue of yesterday I felt sleepy.
I stopped, Cooked a coffee, smoked a pipe, this woke me up and I drove on
With the song of UmKalthum "Anta Omri" with a day so beautiful, a relaxing ride, great
weather, I told myself this is my last day in Turkey, I was very excited even tears
streamed from my eyes. In the past I had so many wonderful motorcycle trips that I
remember from Turkey.
I stopped in a parking lot, where buses of tourists, mostly Japanese.
At the restaurant I ate rice with beans and a large plate of salad. Account 10 Turkish
pounds 20 NIS yesterday at the same menu at Istanbul 25 Turkish pounds. Either they
made a mistake or that prices here in Turkey are a function of distance from Istanbul,
As you're moving away prices drops.
I fueled the bike, the first time this trip I checked air pressure in the tires and I drove on.
When I got to the mountains, as usual in Turkey they were fixing the road.
For economy, they do not compact the roads they fix but let this work done by traffic.
First they throw gravel and leave it for cars to compact. Driving a motorcycle in gravel is
a dangerous mission let alone doing that on curvy mountain road. What I really need is
to fall on the last day in Turkey.
A few prayers of "Hear O Israel" helped to drive this piece of road safely.
The next more advanced stage of the road is to apply liquid asphalt poured on the
gravel.
By a miracle me and the motorcycle came out of this road in one piece.
I reached "Tashuju" at 18:00. I bought my ticket for 100 Turkish pounds, 200 NIS. For
ferries in Europe I paid no less than 110 euros 550 NIS one direction.
I am currently sitting in an internet cafe working with the diaries. I Should be at the port
on 22:00 for the midnight cruise. Long night waiting.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:55:21 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
Re: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 14
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 15:16:58 »
Day 14

Diary No. 14 dated 24.07.2013 Wednsday
I woke up on the ship at 6:00. I can see only sea from the window.
In this trip I learned to sleep sitting in a chair with boots and fully dressed, covered by
the riding coat.
Around 9:00 I saw dry land, I went out to see how the ship docks. Always nice to see
the ship approaching a port city, The port of "kerenia" in the Turkish Cyprus have a fort
on the beach, and truly a beautiful city.
On the dock was a platform ramp, I thought that it is impossible for the ship to aim for
this ramp. But it did, the ramp is made of sliding iron wet from (water or oil) and have a
pretty steep drop down. I had to lower the motorcycle riding on this ramp, as usual the
last person to go off the ship. I said "Shema Israel" and made sure no one on the ramp
and went down, it went well.
Here every time I come to this port, they change the procedures and places. The
boundary police place found easily. The ship's dealer office was harder to find.
Paper work went relatively easy.
I was thirsty, hungry. The question is if I can find a kiosk to buy an omelet and a cup of
tea for breakfast.
I remembered at the entrance to the border between the Turkish Cyprus and Greek
Cyprus a kiosk that once I ate there. I got to the kiosk. The Kiosk is available but locked.
I crossed the Turkish side border, a large column of vehicles is waiting at the Greek
side, for me on motorcycle it was easy to get around them all, but I felt it was not right.
There is no passport check on the Greek side because they claim that there is only on
Cyprus state, but they were looking for smuggled items.
Every car has to stop for a few minutes and some were told to stop aside for serious
search, Everyone sitting in air-conditioned cars and I outside in 41 degrees heat.
The bike moves 5 meters and stops same as in Turkey if you do not move the 5-meter
all cars behind starts to horn.
My turn came, the passport officer, saw that I am an Israeli, and immediately told me to
go on.
I kept my way to Limassol, with eyes constantly search aside for something to eat for
breakfast.
I found a Mobile Kiosk parked in an empty lot. I stopped and asked if he had omelette.
Said no, but he had sandwiches, he began to name the sandwiches in Greek names. I
said cheese in English, just cheese he asked I said yes, and that solved the problem.
I went to the office of my friend the she customs officer. She was not at work but her
friend was, she recognized me from previous visits. She called my friend and she told
me that because of the difficult economic situation in Cyprus, my friend went over to the
main office for early retirement arrangements.
They expect that the government will do the same as was done in Greece, lower all
salaries in half. And then the pension would also be lowered.
My friend was surprised to see me because she expected me only next week.
She called the shipping company, the shipping company did not prepare my papers
though they were told by the Israeli agent I am taking the ship today.
Customs closes at 14:00 and time is now 13:00. My friend took me in her car to the
shipping company main office a distance of about 2 km. There everyone knows her and
rushed to prepare the documents.
At the customs because of the late time the manager took the fee from me instead of
the Cashiers office, my friend signed all the necessary documents , we went to her
office where she put the necessary seals. Now I'm ready to go to the ship for Israel that
due to sail at 17:00 .
My friend invited me for souflaki at the harbor kiosk and we said goodbye.
I got on the ship, the ship had two BMuu motorcycles GS type and their bags very
similar to mine, there was also a Goldwing yellow motorcycle, I'm sure that I know these
guys from the motorcycle club in Israel, but it turns out they put the bikes on the ship in
"Lavrio" in Greece and flew by plane to Israel.
I got a decent room, food at 17:00. Since most of the sailors are from Egypt and I
spoke with them Arabic I immediately became their lifelong friend.
Two truck drivers spoke Arabic, I asked where they are from and they said from Jordan.
They buy used trucks in Europe and sell them to Arab countries. They asked me if they
could buy old trucks in Israel, I promised I'll find out and be in touch. I sat on the deck
until it grew dark, beautiful night with a full moon.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 17:55:49 by Jack Sawdayee »

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
Re: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day 15 last
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 15:19:03 »
Day 15 last

Diary No. 15 dated 07.25.2013 Last
I woke up at 6:00, showered, went out, there was no sign of land. I sat outside until the
ship approached the coast of Haifa, the view of the city of Haifa from the sea is very
beautiful.
We entered the harbor, the ship docked, I downloaded the bags from my room and tied
on the motorcycle.
I went to the dining room, I ate an egg and drank tea. I lowered the bike to the street
and waited for the arrival of Israel's security.
Security came, two young guys and a girl with a big box of computer.
First of all examined all the sailors of the ship, I'm on fire and would hage liked to be on
the way home.
After reviewing the sailors they approached the other truck drivers two Jordanians and
two Bulgarian and one from Romania, they began the investigation with them. Not being
able to talk arabic with the Jordanians and I volunteered to be a translator.
They told us to go in convoy behind their car, me with motorcycle and 5 huge trucks.
The drivers went a physical examination, transferred all their belongings to a scanning
machine, I thought it takes ma all day to lower the bags from the motorcycle and return
them maybe move all the motorcycle to the scanning machine.
I did not have to pass any of these tests, in terms of the security guys all passengers
are one package and had to move all passengers together.
Then we went to the border police for passport check.
At the customs I was asked for Insurance. I took out the insurance that I made when I
bought the bike but was valid for eight days only that was two months ago. Immediately
called my insurance agent Uzi's and he sent by fax a valid insurance.
Now I have to pay customs fees. There I met the two guys with the BMuu bike. I did not
know them before. NID 272 paid that was not before my soul left my body until that
action was recorded in the computer.
Then I went to the warehouse where the bike was registered in the computer.
Gate 10 had to check if I have not replaced the engine and that the engine number fits
the one on the license. finally on the way home.

I wanted to say a word about the equipment with me on this trip.

1 - Bike: After eight Honda Varadero Motorcycles since the year  2003 The Honda Crosstourer  exceeds the Varadero's executions, responding and loyal.
 The only thing not yet completely mastered is gear changing, on the second or third gear  you are over 100 kph. For me the other gears,4,5,6 seems to be useless for the speed I drive. I try not to exceed 130 kph.

2 Two trips ago to Europe,  I bought a waterproof huge bag "ORTLIEB" in this bag, I put my tent, sleeping bag, mattress, all electric equipment, sleeping equipment, heavy huge plastic sheet under the tent. I put it on the back seat. Without this bag, I do not think I could have managed this trip.

3- The "Tara Hillberg" tent is designed for extreme hard use and proved itself. During a camping trip the equipment really works very hard and are on extreme use, and if the equipment is not of the best quality will not last the trip.

4 - Bag over the fuel tank. I bought for this  motorcycle as I had on the previous Varaderos motorcycles a BAGSTER leather cover and also bought a bag from the same firm for a laptop. It was hard to pull the camera out of the bag and put it back (maybe this is the reason I did not take much pictures). I put in this bag all necessary things for immediate use.

4 - The last three days and in order to catch back the ship to Israel and save one week, were really very hard for me, I did a distance of about 2,500 kms, I had to use  special forces and stamina that I did not know I have.

5 – A Romanian driver that was with me in the ship back to Israel told me that there is a  new line for a Ship from Mersin in Turkey to Haifa Israel that takes only  8 hours. The firm is called  Turco shipping, I contacted their agent in Israel he said that the charge is 200 dollars one way for motorcycle only. One person only can travel if there is a large quantity of motorcycles. May be at last there is a cheap way to visit Israel with ones own motorcycle.

6- Hope to share with you future trips.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 18:30:13 by Jack Sawdayee »

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: My trip to the Italian Alps - Day one
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 19:54:46 »
Great write up, Jack, a pleasure to read (if we where with you!) And did I understand correctly... You are the new owner of a VFR1200X Crosstourer? Congratulations... what a nice ride to run it in properly!  ;D ;)
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 04:14:58 »
Nice to read your long story, Jack.
I have put a link into the Norwegian forum.
I really look forward to read about your ride to the North cape and back to Israel next year.

All the best  :)
Erik
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Sdapeze

• HAR Member
    • Varadero
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 13:56:12 »
Thanks for the story Jack. I love your subtle sense of humour. Your descriptions of situations and people allow me to see them in my mind's eye. We very much missed you at VIM. You would have loved it as the weather was good and the country is beautiful. We are getting ready with keen anticipation for the VIM next year with the Vikings. Do you like the Crosstourer or would you like another Varadero
Also known as Jess Jephcott
1999 Gold, 2006 Silver, 2011 White
VIMs 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 23.

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 18:41:01 »
Dear Friends
Thank you very much for your response to my diary. On previous trips also on this one  I write every day a diary to the Israely Motorcycle club forum in Hebrew. This time I translated it to  English so that my family and friends in America would follow my trip. After publishing it in the Varadero Corsstourer International forum, I discovered what a big international family I have.

jolly green giant

• HAR Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 01:16:36 »
Congratulations on your successful trip and your new bike Jack, wish I were with you. The most important thing is that you returned home safe. Thanks for sharing and hope to meet you again. All the very best.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 12:11:32 »
Dear Friends
Thank you very much for your response to my diary. On previous trips also on this one  I write every day a diary to the Israely Motorcycle club forum in Hebrew. This time I translated it to  English so that my family and friends in America would follow my trip. After publishing it in the Varadero Corsstourer International forum, I discovered what a big international family I have.

Thumbs up for Jack!  ;D But please tell us... what's the story with the Crosstourer?  :o
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 21:48:28 »
Thoroughly enjoyable read of a serious trip. I had some adventures with GPS in the Alps myself in 2011.After the trip, I went straight into hospital and almost died (not related to the trip), so didn't write about it and I wasn't a member of the Varadero club then either.
Thanks to Jack for making the effort to share his experiences,as someone else said, in such an amusing way. I read that you translated this yourself and I mean absolutely no disrespect if I say that some of your translations are a source of great humour; I get a wonderful mental image of your 'Turkish she neighbour, the plump one!'
I head to the Alps next week again, by train from Holland I hope not to be 'on fire' or have to use my 'coat of rain too much'.
Thanks again, Jack, I have had a smile all afternoon after reading your story.

JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

Athanman

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 11:49:36 »
Nice Jack ! ;)

welshwizard

• HAR Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 10:18:10 »
Thank you for sharing this Jack. I love reading about other rider's experiences when they tour. One day I will be brave enough to set out on my own european adventure. I've got the bike, I've got the gear, I just ain't got the balls to do it..............yet ;)

Past It

• HAR Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 23:38:02 »
Jack, thanks for the memories of my own solo trips across Europe and Turkey. The haphazard eating, not quite knowing where you are, the vagaries of the sleeping arrangements, the friendly people you meet, the roads that you fear could be your last, loosing track of time, a feeling of overwhelming tiredness.  The frustration of officialdom, Getting home safely.    All these thing can only really be enjoyed and appreciated by a solo traveller on a motorcycle.

When I look back I wonder why I did it, and kept doing it, time and again!

Don't ask why Jack, just keep on doing it again and again.............

Kindest regards and respect.

Barry
Staying alive - but without the music!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal