Author Topic: Signal lights  (Read 7968 times)

Hooglander1

• HAR Member
Re: Signal lights
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 12:53:41 »
I could not resist anymore. I was looking for a solution towards a triangle of light, to be better visible in nighttime when filtering through traffic.

This is so cheap, I can just give it a try to see if it will work for me or not :)

Hooglander1

• HAR Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 22:29:35 »
@ STA :
Yes it`s  VCIF_ThumbUp
Search on eBay after : 2pcs 1156 BA15S 5730 20-LED 35W Car Dual-Color Switchback KIT Turn Signal Light
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1156-BA15S-5730-20-LED-35W-Car-Dual-Color-Switchback-KIT-Turn-Signal-Light-/291543342390?hash=item43e1565d36:g:Q0MAAOSwMmBV1Dxi&vxp=mtr

I bought this exact set, but unfortunately I do encounter some issues.

The bajonet is a straight one, as in, the pins are straight across each other. My Vara has them slightly jumped (200 and 160 degrees).

This can be solved by some craftswork, not too afraid from that.

What I do not get is how do I get the running lights? Do I have to connect the light bulb to a normal light somewhere? If so, I only have one extra cable, that doesn't make any sense. I was thinking myself that I could connect the two lights with each other, but electrically, that doesn't create running lights in any way.

Can you give me some pointers in trying to figure this out?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 23:06:08 by Hooglander1 »

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 12:07:04 »
The black single cable should have been red. Since the LED's already grounded you just need to connect that wire to plus. Some use a switch between som just hook it up via the parkinglight

Hooglander1

• HAR Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 23:16:04 »
The black single cable should have been red. Since the LED's already grounded you just need to connect that wire to plus. Some use a switch between som just hook it up via the parkinglight
That was my idea as well (red and black) I found it out with the help of a good ol 12v battery. Good suggestion to cut the wires as well. Although it will be tricky to ever bring it back to original though.

Did you screw the resistor to the bike somewhere? Not sure what a good place can be, since I understood these things can run pretty hot.

Need to get the right connectors to make it work and some electrical tape as well before I can start installation. And I will need to find out how I get the cover of the parking light off with the crash bar so close to it.

Extra thanks for the pictures by the way, for the non-technical folks, this kind of stuff is really helpful! I feel a lot more confident now than I did before.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 23:19:19 by Hooglander1 »

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 03:18:23 »
To avoid cutting the original blinker cable you can do like this. Then use some vulctape over it.

Drilled a little larger hole in the resistor, change the original screw to a longer one

Put it within the indicator.

Therefor there is good to add a little longer cable. Buy soldering a longer one or just extend it

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 20:11:47 »
When I fitted mine I had the same problem with the pins on the bulb, I just filed one down and introduced a cable tie, as for the resistors I screwed them to one of the fairing screws something similar to one of the above pics and took a power lead from my existing spot light lead.

Hooglander1

• HAR Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 20:32:39 »
I've done it!

I was lucky that the previous owner already had some accessories hooked up to the little light up front and cut off the cables. So easy access for me to hook it up with a connector and wire everything up.

I also grinded one of the ends off the connectors of the new bulbs. That worked perfectly fine.

While I had everything out in the open anyway, I connected a 12v connector in the dashboard. I wanted to mount it in the little storage area, but I felt that there was not enough room behind it to mount it properly. But just above it in the dash there was a space with ample room behind it. So I did that. I bought a waterproof one, so water shouldn't be an issue.

All in all, quite a lot of work for somebody that's not very tech-savvy and hasn't really got a good place to work on the bike. But still, I did manage to do it and the result looks really good. Genuinely very happy with it.

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 21:25:45 »
That's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind
Learning by doing, next electrical project will be a lot easier.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal