Author Topic: ***UPDATE*** NEW 2016 AFRICA TWIN REVEALED!  (Read 80153 times)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: NEW 2015 AFRICA TWIN REVEALED!
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 23:52:06 »
Photos confirm they are 21 inch wheels in the picture.  On the Adventure Rider forum, a person who attended the show posted pics of the tires.  21 inch front and 18 inch rear.

Further specs known are:
- offroad designed traction control
- offroad designed ABS brakes
- 250mm /9.8 inch suspension
- 180kgs dry
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 00:09:23 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

varaquiero

• VCIF Member.../whitewidow on uk forum
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 00:45:29 »
MR KIWI ..............Keep those updates coming your doing a great job you should be working for Honda promoting this model. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh, maybe MCN LIVE in the UK, or is that to much to hope for ?
"One has to leave the world to discover it"

2011 XL 1000

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 02:20:38 »
 8) lol.  Thanks. I'm been waiting for this model to arrive, but honestly, when the final specs are known it might be hard to choose between the Africa Twin and one of the KTM's.   I'm just a keen enthusiast.  I'm also following the KTM announcements and updates from a number of the other OEMs.   :D
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 02:23:33 »
MrKiwi

italy1

• HAR Member
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 16:45:16 »
Both wrong. Further South. Think Treu Adventure.... ;)

HeheHe.... If it is africa I assume it won't be East Africa, unless Honda is trully looking to up the stakes on the "Adventure" side of things...

East probably safer than west right now........
"...we are all more or less insane...." (E. Fromm)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 23:05:18 »
I must say, I'm somewhat surprised at the discussion on the Adventure Rider website.  This new Africa Twin has generated a lot of debate, multiple threads with endless speculation.

Quite a lot of the commentary is negative and I find that surprising.  Here at last Honda, who has been missing from the true adventure market for many years, has finally shown a bike, albeit in prototype guise (although I personally believe this is closer to final market setup than many believe) that will be a  serious adventure contender.  Yes many questions remain to be answered and there is no confirmation on final specs.  I eagerly await details on the bikes specifications, but until then what I do see is exciting.

Mind you, I'm not going to be selling my Crosstourer when this bike comes to the market, as the Crosstourer is aimed at a different market, one that I currently occupy.  The comparisons I often use is for cars, we have 4 wheel drive vehicles and then SUV's.  SUV's are a soft off-road car, whereas proper 4 wheel drive vehicles are aimed at both the road and serious off road stuff. 

The Crosstourer is aimed at the road with limited off-road capabilities, it is the motorbike equivalent of an SUV.  This bike is aimed at road duties but can be comfortably ridden off road so long as the roads are reasonably well formed.  it's bias is on-road.

The new Africa Twin is a bike oriented for off-road duties than can be ridden on the road.  It's bias is off-road.

It's fun watching the debate, each will have their own views.  Cheers from downunder  8)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 23:06:53 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 00:08:40 »
MrKiwi, I agree with your comments.

This bike is likely to be a great tool for fun! I too am not going to buy one, but just because the main use I expect for my bike nowadays is not what this one is aimed to. I wish I could've afforded such a beast 25 years ago!  8)

Josep

varaquiero

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 00:23:08 »
JOSEPM.............My sentiments exactly......now where did they leave that time machine !

2011 XL 1000

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 12:09:17 »
We have to see what will be declinations, as we have heard about 4 or 5 different versions...  8)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 20:31:13 »
 Lovely bike i'm sure but I'm still waiting to see what Honda is bringing out to replace the Varadero. In a couple of years time when it's time to change, it's looking likely to be a used Varadero with lower mileage. The Crosstourer just isn't for me, especially the scooter version :-\ and this new AT looks the part for Farmer Giles up and down dirt tracks but wouldn't be geared for Irish touring let alone European trips.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 21:20:59 »
There is no such thing as "4-5" different versions. I haven’t hearing or read anything regarding 4 or even 5 different trims.

According to my information (from what I consider to be a very trusty souce!) Honda is planning only two versions:

1 which will be pure offroad orientated;
1 which will be more 'paved' orientated.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 21:34:40 »
Also heard 4 different version but more or less how they are equipped. With cases and extra extra..

varaquiero

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 23:01:55 »
TWO PLUGS...SKYE....That sounds about right, no way 4/5 versions market demand would never be great enough.

As stated i think the likelyhood of small detail changes brings these rumours.

No more than 2 versions and even that will be limited to a certain degree by market enthusiasm.

2011 XL 1000

Bønne

• VCIF/HARK.DK/XL-Forum.SE/HVRoN.NO/VUK
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 23:31:54 »
I must say, I'm somewhat surprised at the discussion on the Adventure Rider website...Quite a lot of the commentary is negative...
Not knowing much about ADVRider, but having a feeling that they are very much BMuu and KTM minded, so the negative comments may occur from fear, as this new Honda might be able to give both manufactores a serious fight.
The Crosstourer is aimed at the road with limited off-road capabilities, it is the motorbike equivalent of an SUV.  This bike is aimed at road duties but can be comfortably ridden off road so long as the roads are reasonably well formed.  it's bias is on-road.

The new Africa Twin is a bike oriented for off-road duties than can be ridden on the road.  It's bias is off-road.
I agree with this, but looking at the new Honda, I can easily imagine it with a slightly wider fairing at the top, a bigger screen and a bit more sidefairing, a more comfortable seat and maybe bigger headlights (looks like it´s been prepared for that  :) ). If it will be a 1000 ccm engine, as several rumors have said, then we have a new Varadero!
And what´s wrong about that, the old Africa Twin and TransAlp were both build on the same "platform", the TA as the "SUV" and the AT as the "4-wheel drive", the ofroad bike.

This bike is likely to be a great tool for fun!
I do not agree with this, as I know a lot of AT riders here in Denmark, who uses their AT for daily transport but riding on ofroad tires so they easily can get ofroad if they find an interesting trail on the way. Some of them even go on vacation trips around Europe, still on ofroad tires, so I think there will be a marked for the new one as more than a Fun-bike too.
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

XL 1000 VA8, Chevalier Silver Metallic

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 01:01:56 »
I meant to say that this is an exciting new bike! One that looks like great fun in all terrains!

I must admit I am a bit disappointed that the final bike has not been showed. Maybe they had some sort of delay in its development? (TP's reliable source could let us know  8) )

Greetings,

Josep

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal