Author Topic: Vara XL1000 engine/frame bolts removal  (Read 2176 times)

maximuss

• HAR Member
Vara XL1000 engine/frame bolts removal
« on: January 17, 2021, 20:15:04 »
Hello!

My first Vara is preparing for something long lasting - powder coat, and full maintenance, including engine!
So far I disassembled all except those 2 long screws (see pic. Nr. 10;12), who are holding engine to frame.... I sprayed 2 days in a row with ProLong rust penetrator, no result. Now im trying Wurth 5000 penetrator. But still no results. Tryed to knock out that bolt, hitting it from hex nut side, no results. In the same time im afraid to test my luck, im afraid that i can crack the aluminuim engine mounts from that banging... Tried to heat up main parts with heat gun and propane burner, no go! And i was constantly adjusting engine with jack, to take off tension fro those bolts... Can anyone please give me advice, how to take them out? Vara is fully striped, i only must take out the engine... Big time!

SB

• Administrator
Re: Vara XL1000 engine/frame bolts removal
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 20:37:21 »
Thats the Fiche Dwg from a Carby Vara

The engine mounting bolts on the Carby are stressed and add to the rigidity of the frame. It's not so much of an issue when removing them but when they are reinstalled they need to be torqued correctly.

If you hit them from the nut side on the end of the bolts they will swell and you'll never get them out. Always put a nut on the end of the bolt and make sure you hit that.

Try using a drift bar the same OD as the hex heads and give the bolts a few good whacks on the hex head end. Then try to rotate the bolts.

If that doesn't work your next bet is to heat them up and then try.

Make sure there is no fuel or WD40 lying around before applying heat to the bolts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal