Author Topic: my vara halts in city traffic (warm engine)  (Read 7223 times)

goleventgo

• HAR Member
my vara halts in city traffic (warm engine)
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:40 »
Hi,

My vara is 2004, MK2. It halts in city traffic when there is too much traffic and the motor is warm. we checked with different fuels, we checked the valves we did air pressure valve adjustments, cleared air filter, new original iridum plugs, just serviced at the mechanics. I have still same problem. Problem is as follows:
- the motor gets hotter in city traffic jam, fun starts to run.
- the motor halts in low revs.
- the motor looks like bouncing forward (it seems that I will fell off backward) in normal, standard revs.
- after it halts, I can start motor easily.
- I do supply more throttle to get rid of motor halt. rev increases easily over 6-7000 rpm.
- I run
- then it happens again and  this goes in nonending loop.

what is happening? any idea/comment? George?

Levent

SB

• Administrator
Re: my vara halts in city traffic (warm engine)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37:37 »

It could be either fuel starvation/evaporation or one of the engine sensors failing when it gets hot.

When you got to re-start the bike does the "FI" light come on and stay on or does it flash ?

goleventgo

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 13:05:33 »
FI light works correctly.

The Enthusiast

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 00:17:25 »
Hi there

I had a 2006 model that used to do similar after riding for a while at low speed and revs it would stutter when the throttle was opened and sometimes stall when slowing down on a closed throttle. It would also occasionally cough and stall when moving off. Not all the time but particularly on a hot day. I never totally cured the problem as it occurred  from new and didn't do it all the time . But what did help was upping the idle speed to about 1250rpm. I guess it was just a characteristic of the bike, Character ? Anyhow My 2010 model still occasionally coughs and stalls when travelling at low ish speed, only occasionally usually after maintaining 2500- 3000 rpm slowing and speeding up again a few times. Doesn't do it often enough to be a problem. Like the Fi non starting problem I have, as do many others. Just got to put it down to character I suppose, don't think there are any 100% fixes as far as I am aware. Anyway , i'm rambling, if you haven't tried it already maybe try 1250 ish RPM idle speed using the adjuster just under the right side of the fuel tank. Worth a try.

Cheers

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 19:30:11 »
Sorry to read.
This has happened twice to me, because of two different reasons, but you seem to have already checked where my problems were.

First time was because a dead bird was somewhere obstructing the air intake. As soon as revs went down, bike stalled.

Second time had to do with the combination of hot weather and bargain E10 gasoline.

Good luck,

Josep

cspike

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:13:49 »

Athanman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 21:59:46 »
Very weird behavior never heard something like this before.

goleventgo

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 13:00:45 »
cspike, unfortunately my bike (MK2, 2004 vara) has not O2 sensor to eliminate.
so it does not help.
one further symptom: this behaviour only happens if motor gets warm upto the point that fan starts to run. As long as fun does not operate, there is no any problem.
Maybe I need to change complete pump (changing only the pump did not help).  But the complete pump is 800 €.  :( >:(

bircis

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 21:26:38 »
Hello !

My friend have similar problem and he resolved it in this way.
He put on and take of fuel tank some times and one of this time he  squeeze the fuel pump rubber pipe . When he ride with  normal speed in highway all is O.k., but when  he was driving in city traffic, the motorcycle began to work on one cylinder and then doesnot work total. When engine cooled bike is going good again.
At first we think that the problem is with fuel pump preasure, but later we found this problem and avoid it !
And now may friend go with bike without any problems !!!

:) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 22:03:32 by bircis »

goleventgo

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 17:20:32 »
IMPORTANT !!!!!
We have finally solved the problem. Two mechanics worked for days to solve that. We have realized that all the info about fuel pump of Varadero MK2 in the forums are wrong. There are actually 4 parts of the fuel pump but not 3 as mentioned diffeent forum topics.They are
1- pump
2- filter (a coarse filter)
3- pressure regulator
4- fine filter (carbon or whatsoever filter before the pressure regulator)

First three can be seen and reachable/detachable when you open the metal box. But the 4th part (fine filter) is embedded inside the plastics body and you can not see it. This plastics body is not detachable and you can not dismount this fine filter. This fine filter was clogged of micro particals/residues. You need to rinse this fine filter by oil (by pouring oil from your gas tank, for example). You need this over and over again until you get rid of these micro particals. You will not believe your eyes that how much and how black would be your filling basket. So you need to clean/rinse this hidden fine filter. I did not change any part (pump or regulator). Now my bike runs as in its day 1. My bike started to have this problem after 95000 km.

Note: we could not understand the relationship between this clogged filter and its blocking oil pass mechanism when the engine gets hot and fan gets on. As long as the fan does not run, this filter does not block oil pass. The heat triggers this phenomenon.

Note 2: Best solution would be to buy new complete pump spare part from Honda. But it is so expensive...

I hope this helps to bikers who have similar problems.

best regards,
Levent

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 03:49:52 »
Sounds similar to my problem, see misfire query from my first post. My solution was 'O',rings on the butterflies in the throttle bodies. Problem used to happen to VFR800 apparently.
JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal