Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer - Honda's biggest Adventure Tourer > Mechanical

Some further thoughts on my CT's DCT

(1/3) > >>

JosepM:
Now I have ridden over 22000 km on my 2015 Crosstourer, let me share a couple of further details on her DCT. I believe that DCT settings changed in seasons 2014 and 2016, so earlier or later CTs may behave differently.

The goal of a perfect automatic gear change system is that the bike runs always with the right gear, which for experienced riders like me  8) means the gear I'd put. Of course this is not possible, so a good point of a sequential system is that one can manually shift up or down gears against the default will of the system.

In D mode, the bike has a trend to run on too high gears.
This makes the bike have a tendency to "go out" on curves, that is, the bike gets loose because the engine doesn't hold her. Of course this is solved by shifting one or two gears down in the curve enter, or simply use S mode.
A more annoying feature is that, again in D mode, the bike shifts gears up in the middle of one of these often found "bullfight arena-sized" roundabouts, just before one has to slow down and lean to the other side to quit it. Lately, I switch to manual mode as I get in one of these, just to make sure I make the whole of the manoeuvre in second gear.

S mode is good (IMO) in roads with curves or wet. I like the feeling of control I have when the bike is running in rather short gears. It is better to use D mode, though, when riding not fast in not so curvy roads, because S has a tendency to keep a rather high regime, ready to provide a brisk response to throttle.

Despite these details, I am overall happy with the system. One good thing is I can make long rides without they mean the tendinitis they would cause in my last years on Varadero.

Greetings to all,

Josep

Jyrays:
The new DCT with D and 3 stage S is perfect. I use D only when on straight roads and S1 is my standard selection.

Step up is so big I cannot describe, those old DCT bikes are like from stone age :D

Two Plugs:
'Tendinitis'?  ???

JosepM:

--- Quote from: Two Plugs on October 31, 2016, 11:14:35 ---'Tendinitis'?  ???

--- End quote ---

Yes. Pain along my left forearm that happened whenever I rode over, let's say, 7-8 hours on motorway or 5-6 hours on roads.
It wasn't that serious yet, so I used to take no anti-inflammatory drug. But now this pain is no more; thank you DCT for this  ;) .

Regards,

Josep

Two Plugs:

--- Quote from: JosepM on October 31, 2016, 11:44:02 ---
--- Quote from: Two Plugs on October 31, 2016, 11:14:35 ---'Tendinitis'?  ???

--- End quote ---

Yes. Pain along my left forearm that happened whenever I rode over, let's say, 7-8 hours on motorway or 5-6 hours on roads.
It wasn't that serious yet, so I used to take no anti-inflammatory drug. But now this pain is no more; thank you DCT for this  ;) .

Regards,

Josep

--- End quote ---

OK Josep, ... hopefully its to be cured?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version