Author Topic: Some further thoughts on my CT's DCT  (Read 3828 times)

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Some further thoughts on my CT's DCT
« on: October 19, 2016, 13:05:46 »
Now I have ridden over 22000 km on my 2015 Crosstourer, let me share a couple of further details on her DCT. I believe that DCT settings changed in seasons 2014 and 2016, so earlier or later CTs may behave differently.

The goal of a perfect automatic gear change system is that the bike runs always with the right gear, which for experienced riders like me  8) means the gear I'd put. Of course this is not possible, so a good point of a sequential system is that one can manually shift up or down gears against the default will of the system.

In D mode, the bike has a trend to run on too high gears.
This makes the bike have a tendency to "go out" on curves, that is, the bike gets loose because the engine doesn't hold her. Of course this is solved by shifting one or two gears down in the curve enter, or simply use S mode.
A more annoying feature is that, again in D mode, the bike shifts gears up in the middle of one of these often found "bullfight arena-sized" roundabouts, just before one has to slow down and lean to the other side to quit it. Lately, I switch to manual mode as I get in one of these, just to make sure I make the whole of the manoeuvre in second gear.

S mode is good (IMO) in roads with curves or wet. I like the feeling of control I have when the bike is running in rather short gears. It is better to use D mode, though, when riding not fast in not so curvy roads, because S has a tendency to keep a rather high regime, ready to provide a brisk response to throttle.

Despite these details, I am overall happy with the system. One good thing is I can make long rides without they mean the tendinitis they would cause in my last years on Varadero.

Greetings to all,

Josep

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
Re: Some further thoughts on my CT's DCT
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 20:47:04 »
The new DCT with D and 3 stage S is perfect. I use D only when on straight roads and S1 is my standard selection.

Step up is so big I cannot describe, those old DCT bikes are like from stone age :D
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 11:14:35 »
'Tendinitis'?  ???
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:44:02 »
'Tendinitis'?  ???

Yes. Pain along my left forearm that happened whenever I rode over, let's say, 7-8 hours on motorway or 5-6 hours on roads.
It wasn't that serious yet, so I used to take no anti-inflammatory drug. But now this pain is no more; thank you DCT for this  ;) .

Regards,

Josep

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 17:45:41 »
'Tendinitis'?  ???

Yes. Pain along my left forearm that happened whenever I rode over, let's say, 7-8 hours on motorway or 5-6 hours on roads.
It wasn't that serious yet, so I used to take no anti-inflammatory drug. But now this pain is no more; thank you DCT for this  ;) .

Regards,

Josep

OK Josep, ... hopefully its to be cured?

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 18:58:29 »
Thanks for asking! Yes, no more pain  ::) ... but I guess pain would resume if I forced my arm.  :(

In my country we say "caldera vella: o bony o forat" ("old cauldron: either dent or hole"). I am over 50 now, so I guess this is my first (little) "dent"  :o

Regards,

Josep
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 19:20:21 by JosepM »

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 10:26:18 »
What I would love to know:

Have you done a test ride on the CRF1000 Africa Twin DCT, Josep? It seems that there are some significant changes in the set up, compared with the DCT on the Crosstourer. Must say that when I did the press intro in Tarragona, I wasn't really satisfied with the DCT on the first series Crosstourer. After that, I haven't been riding a CT with DCT (only a manual), but the CRF1000 DCT was really amazing and a pleasant surprise!

Don't know if there has been a modification to the CT's DCT though... lets face it, the Crosstourer is already on the market for quit some years now... So a modification on the recent models sounds logic to me...  ???

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 16:02:57 »
No, I have never ridden any AT, old or new.  :(

It's my belief that DCT set up has undergone a couple of changes in CT history. So there would be one version 2012-13, a second 2014-15 (that's mine) and a third for this current 2016 version.

Anyway, there is no 100% perfect automatic system. At least until the bikes know what the road&traffic conditions are like, and they can read the biker's mind as well.  ;D

Regards,

Josep

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 19:58:57 »

It's my belief that DCT set up has undergone a couple of changes in CT history. So there would be one version 2012-13, a second 2014-15 (that's mine) and a third for this current 2016 version.

Josep

Is it possible that the changes will just be software updates ?

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 21:26:33 »

Josep

Is it possible that the changes will just be software updates ?
More than likely. I can't see why it would need an engineering change, it is the timing of the gear changes that are important in how well the DCT works when riding in different conditions...
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 22:50:10 »

So it should be possible to plug it in and update it!

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 15:26:19 »
Must have something to do with the ECU? The DCT of the CRF1000F for example, has an 'off-road' use setting, and the engine layout (=power output) is completely different than the big, buffy V4 of the Crosstourer...

In my modest opinion, its not simply a Q of plug & play between the CRF and the CT. Perhaps older CT's can be updated with the software settings of newer CT's (Same engine, same layout), but I lac expertise to confirm if that's the case... Sounds logical though...

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 16:12:25 »
AT/ New CT has some extra sensors and I assume totally different ECU. Mechanically components could be similar, but it is not a computer so they have not designed it to be up-gradable on old DCT. Still worth to see with Honda.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal