Author Topic: Clutch problem  (Read 3541 times)

Bulloween

• HAR Member
Clutch problem
« on: September 14, 2017, 22:55:57 »
Hi guys I'm having problems with my clutch. I like to adjust the clutch disengage point very low (i mean clutch lever works when it is near to the handlebar like 4/3 of the way) Few weeks ago while the motor is hot in traffic the clutch couldn't disengage, the motor moves on while I'm holding the clutch. I cannot put in neutral and couldn't start the bike on gear. Because the motor moves when i hit the start button while I'm holding the clutch lever. So I wait Little and turn the clutch adjuster knob on the lever end, the bike works again. So I changed the clutch pads, motor oil (motul 7100, 10-40), clutch springs. But my problem didn't solved. So I adjust the lever  for disengaging point a little far from the handle bar. Now it works. But in traffic the disengage point moves to the handlebar again. Any ideas? Thanks.

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
Re: Clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:21:24 »
What kind of oil did you use before the change? Fully synthetic?? 15W-50

Also you can dismount the clutchlever near front sprocket. Clean it up and put on some new grease. It can backfire from a small gravel or dust.

meine dicke

• Only soaring is nicer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 13:00:01 »
Did you check/change the clutch-cable?
May be that it is - because of the age - lengthened.

Greetings from the South of Germany
Rainer alka meine dicke
Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23;24
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23; 24 (ORGA)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 139.000)

Bulloween

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 16:03:36 »
Thank you guys for the quick reply.
Skye, I used the same 10W-40 motul, and grease the clutch lever parts on the case. Nothing changed.
Meiıne dicke; I used 3 brand new different non oem varadero clutch cabe. Maybe I must order an oem varadero cable.

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 21:12:26 »
I had a problem with my clutch a few years back that sounds similar to your issues. Thankfully mine was still under warranty. Honda techs had it apart and back together but could find nothing wrong.  I had to kill the engine to get the bike into Neutral. This materialised at about 11000 miles. After a lot of head scratching it was found to be the central bearing in the clutch basket was a fraction of a mm out of line which affected the clutch engaging correctly, we only found this by chance when the washer fell out of the basket when I was handling it in the workshop and the tech noticed some scoring on it. I got a new clutch basket under warranty and thankfully that sorted it for me. I hope your problem is easier and cheaper to sort than this.

Bulloween

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:07:07 »
Hi aboynamessue, did you always had that problem, or only in hight traffic (when the engine and oil is hot)? in my condition the problems occur only in very high traffic and I can not put in neutral in any condition, just to wait to cool down or change the clutch cable free play.

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 21:44:25 »
I was just out riding one day when it just suddenly happened, the engine was hot at the time. I can't really remember but the next day it was slightly better when the bike was cold but not for long. If you're capable you could remove your clutch and inspect the washer for damage. You've nothing to lose except more oil and coolant. 

Bulloween

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 15:29:54 »
I was just out riding one day when it just suddenly happened, the engine was hot at the time. I can't really remember but the next day it was slightly better when the bike was cold but not for long. If you're capable you could remove your clutch and inspect the washer for damage. You've nothing to lose except more oil and coolant.

Look the same, when the engine is hot and in high traffic, have to use the clutch alot. Most of the time you have to hold the lever and wait for the traffic, then the clatch cable acts like its getting longer. But when riding in long distance; nothing happens.
I inspect the whole clutch system, basket, washer etc. nothing is wrong ;(.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal