Author Topic: The guided tours during VCIM16  (Read 22024 times)

kjetil

• XL 2007 VA Bloom Red Metallic
    • My YouTube site
The guided tours during VCIM16
« on: January 11, 2014, 14:43:12 »
Let me introduce our planned guided tours during VIM16.
All details of the trips are not yet in place, such as where to eat lunch and all the stops, but this will be updated as the pieces fall into place.

Trip one:

http://goo.gl/maps/DSKVG

The tour starts from the hotel around 0900.   ;D ;D

The First stop : Flydalsjuvet.

Flydalsjuvet offers an impressive view and is an excellent point for photography, with a view over Geiranger and Geirangerfjorden with the many cruise boats.
Some of Norway’s most popular travel photo images are taken here.

The viewpoint is divided into two areas, one upper and one lower plateau, with a gangway running in between.
The viewpoint has been modernised via the project ”National Tourist Routes” and the new facilities were officially opened in a ceremony on 21st June 2006.
On the lower plateau there is also an installation called ”Fjordsetet” that was unveiled by HRH Queen Sonja in September 2003 in connection with the 10th anniversary of the regional travel company Fjord Norge AS.

The Second stop: Dalsnibba

The Nibbevegen Road takes you from Djupvasshytta Cabin at an altitude of 1,038 metres to the view point at Dalsnibba, at about 1,500 metres above sea level.
It offers an unforgettable opportunity to experience the fjord culture, breathtaking views of the wild, snow-capped peaks, pure, clean air, and a superb natural World Heritage Site – all at the same time.

The Nibbevegen Road, a pioneering road building project and the very symbol of tourism in Geiranger, was opened in 1939.
The magnificent panoramic view from the mountain top encompasses the fjord and the surrounding peaks and highlands, and is an absolute must for any sightseeing trip to Geiranger.

Nibbevegen is a toll road, which is normally open May - October.

TheThird stop: Stryn

This is one of the plases that we consider eating lunch.
Either way it will be possible for some shopping.

The Fourth stop: The lake Lyngstøylvatnet

The lake known as Lygnstøylvatnet in the valley of Norangsdal was formed by a rock fall from Keipen in 1908.
Beneath the waters of the lake, you can still see remains of the old road, the foundations of the farmhouses and the gateway.

There is a breath of history over the name Norangsdalen.
At the turn of the 18th century, tourist ships anchored up at Øye.
Many a famous name was transported by pony and trap along the ancient road through the valley to Hellesylt.
Afther the "Silver cruise" in 1993 to celebrate the Silver wedding of the King and Queen of Norway, Norangsdalen was given the name "The Queen Route".

The Fifth stop: Øye   ( Hotel Union Øye )

Hotel Union Øye has a phantastic story and has had had visits of a multitude of nobilities.
It has been restored in the original style, where no room is alike.
An outstanding experience!

The year is 1891. Europe’s aristocracy and upper classes seek new and exciting destinations with spectacular scenery.
The clientele for which the Union Hotel in Øye by the Hjørund fjord opened its doors this year was fastidious.
 The guest register shows a line of success: Queen Willemina of the Netherlands, Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany, King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway, and Queen Maud and King Haakon VII of Norway are some of the royalty who enjoyed their stay.
The hotel was restored in the original style in 1989, and now appears as it did in its heyday.

The Sixth stop: Hellesylt

Hellesylt is a traditional Viking hub in Norway, and you will experience all of the beauty and charm of Norway and also the breathtaking waterfall that runs through the center of the port.
Hellesylt is a very small town with just over 500 residents so you will be able to get a more realistic sense of the way of life in Norway by visiting this off the beaten path town.
The waterfall is one of the most gorgeous sites in Hellesylt, and travel to this location will give you some astonishing views since you can observe the cascading water from above.

This is also where we will board the ferry that goes into the Geirangerfjord and that will take us back to the hotel.
The ferry goes from Hellesylt at 17:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second guided trip I will also try to post this weekend.
It will include the Trollstigen and an altarnativ with gravel.

kjetil      --------------  ;) --------------
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 13:39:52 by Two Plugs »
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

;-)

Jokern

• HAR Member
Re: The guided tours during VIM16
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 18:19:18 »
WOOOOWWW  VCIF_a040hae

That seems to me that i have to change my tyre for this highland road  ;)
If you remember  VCIF_a_008

I`m all exited for this route  VCIF_a040hae
www.jokern.eu
Instagram : jokerns_place
Everyday is a Honda(y)
------------------------------------------------------------

Madero

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 18:36:15 »
Thanks a lot for this info Kjetil!
Looking great! Makes me really excited!
 ;D
Even my wife is now seriously considering (despite her back-injuiry) to join me all the way!

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 19:42:19 »
Wonder which guided tour I'm gonna go. Maybe should volunteer as a guide instead.

Let us just pray for weather like it is in the pictures.
Amen

Bruvex

• Just Go!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 21:07:33 »
Looking forward to it!

By the way, is there any off-road (gravel,...) in the area we stay in or on the way to Geiranger ?
Moto Guzzi V85tt

Prev.:CRF1000L DCT (2016) / BMuu R1200GS (2009) / Honda Varadero SD02 (end 2003) / Honda VFR 800fi / Yamaha Diversion 900 / Yamaha XJ900 / Honda Shadow 600c

VIM 12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/23

Blacksmith

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 22:14:46 »
Kjetil,
super, you know how to trigger us all to make the voyage to Norway.
we absolutely look forward to see this all with own eyes.
Thanks for this info.

meine dicke

• Only soaring is nicer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 00:00:52 »
WOOOOWWW  VCIF_a040hae

That seems to me that i have to change my tyre for this highland road  ;)
If you remember  VCIF_a_008

I`m all exited for this route  VCIF_a040hae

I will use my Heidi´s.

Greeting from the South of Germany ...
Rainer
Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23;24
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23; 24 (ORGA)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 140.000)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 00:11:50 »
Stop this at once! You are poisoning my mind!!!  ;D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

kjetil

• My YouTube site
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 19:03:55 »
The second trip: Trollstigen ( the Troll’s Ladder )

http://goo.gl/maps/cEnAk

The First stop : The viewpoint in the Ørnesvingane

Ørnevegen –Eagle Road – is the name given to the steepest stretch of road up the mountain side from Geiranger towards Eidsdal on riksveg 63.

The road swings through 11 hairpin bends up from the Geirangerfjord and to the highest point on the stretch, 620 metres above sea level at Korsmyra.
The road was officially opened on 15th September 1955 and gave the village of Geiranger year-round road access.

The road was an attraction from the very first day, and was called Eagle Road because at its highest point it passed through terrain that had traditionally been the domain of a large number of eagles.

The name also reflects the wildness, the spectacular that tourists and others using the road will experience, especially if they stop at Ørnesvingen, the highest of the hairpins. Facilities have been provided here for visitors to take in the magnificent panorama over Geiranger, the Geirangerfjord, the Seven Sisters Falls and the alpine farm Knivsflå, or to gaze down on the many cruise ships that traffic the fjord far below.

The viewpoint has been recently upgraded, and was officially opened on 21st June 2006 with a simple ceremony as part of the project “Nasjonal Turistveg” (National Tourist Roads) under the auspices of Statens Vegvesen, - The Norwegian Public Roads Administration.

Ørnevegen has a one in ten incline at its steepest, and can test both drivers and vehicles that traffic the road in the winter months. Private and commercial vehicle branch interests use the road as a test bed to improve the road-holding capabilities of vehicles in winter conditions. The longest vehicle length permitted is 15 metres.

The Second stop: Eidsdal ferry port  ( Eidsdal – Linge)

This connection cross the Norddalsfjord is 2.7 km and it takes about 10 minutes to cross.
The ferry port on the Eidsdal side of the fjord, is located in the center of Eidsdal village, while Linge ferry port is a little more deserted place just west of the farm Linge in Valldal.
The connection has its own summer schedule with higher frequency to operate tourist traffic to and from Geiranger.
Usually the ferry departs every 15 minutes, but since it's on a Sunday, it may be longer between individual departures.

Prices:
Motorcycle with rider 47 NOK
An adult 28 NOK
Children 14 NOK

Valid payment method is both cash, credit cards and special ferry-cards.

TheThird stop: Viwepoint Dyrkorn/Viset ( Point E. on the map.)

This is a viewpoint above the Storfjorden..

Here the group will split into two groups.

Group 1: Those who want to drive on gravel road.  http://goo.gl/maps/rgDY5

Group 2: Those who don’t want to drive on gravel road. http://goo.gl/maps/7yasV

Group no. 1, will take the road over Vaksvikfjellet, to the Tresfjord on the other side.
The narrow road over this mountain is 16km long and of which 11.5km is gravel road.
This road has no steep ascent or descent, simple and straightforward gravel drive.

Group no.2, will continue on the road 650 to Sjøholt and then take the E136 over the Ørskogfjellet into the Tresfjord where the groups will meet again.
This is a distance of 32km consisting only of asphalt.( Twice as long as the other route, but twice as fast. )

The Fourth stop: Tressfjorden

Here, the fastest group will waiting for the slowest, and then drive on together to Åndalsnes.

The Fifth stop: Åndalsnes

Here we will stop for some lunch and refuel the bikes if necessary.

The Sixth stop: At the foot of the Trollstigen

This stop is for those who want to and take photos etc.

I recommend that we drive up the “ladder” in smaller groups or individually.
This is because the road is narrow and there will be plenty of stopping if larger groups will drive up simultaneously.
The guides will arrange this on-site I think.

The Seventh stop: The top of the Trollstigen

Trollstigen National Tourist Road officially opened on 16 June 2012. The Trollstigen Mountain Plateau was designed by Reiulf Ramstad Architects AS.
Trollstigen is legendary and attracts a large number of visitors during the few hectic months of summer.

The walkways and steps out to the outlook, invite the traveller to stroll around and experience the mighty landscape.
The largest viewing platform is dramatically located, jutting out over a ridge with a perpendicular drop of approximately 200 metres.
This has different outlook points for those who dare not go out to the furthest point, while those who are bolder can go all the way to the tip of the platform where the railings end in a glass panel.

In 1905 a licence was granted for the building of a horse trail over Stigfjellet, the so-called Kløvstien track.
But even then there were already thoughts of building a road between Valldal and Rauma.
Although many people believed it was utter madness to build a road over Stigfjellet, in 1916 the Norwegian Parliament – the Storting – gave the go-ahead andt he construction of the road commenced a couple of yearslater.

The building of the mountain pass began in 1928 and was a huge challenge.
The area was steep and prone to landslides, and often there was flooding and bad weather. Because of the long winter, the road construction period only lasted from the middle of May to September/October every year.
The work went smoothly with few accidents, and the navvies showed their artistic skills as stonemasons in their work on the road and bridges.
The new road, which was given the name Trollstigen, was opened on 31 July 1936 by King Haakon.

At the end of the 19th century tourism in the area began to increase.
As a deliberate marketing initiative, the mountains around Trollstigen were given new names such as Kongen (the King), Dronningen (the Queen), Bispen (the Bishop) and Trollveggen (the Troll Wall).
The Knivsflåfossen waterfall in Geiranger was renamed De syv søstre (the Seven Sisters), and the road over Stigfjellet became Trollstigen (the Troll’s Ladder).

In 1936, the same year as Trollstigen opened, Trollstigheimen was completed at Alnesreset, the highest point at 852 metres above sea-level.
The restaurant could cater for 180 visitors. However, in 1963 the building was damaged in an avalanche and was not rebuilt.
In 1979 a new restaurant was established at Stigrøra.
In order to maintain the importance of the site as one of the prime tourist attractions in Norway, all the old buildings have been demolished, and the entire area has now emerged with a new and modern appearance.

Once everyone has filled up their cameras and camcorders, we will ones again gather the group and drive over the mountain to the Valldalen and further to Linge ferry port.

The Eighth stop: Linge ferry port. ( Linge – Eidsdal )

This is the same ferry that we took in the morning. (The other way of course). :o
And then back to Geiranger.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this was roughly the routes.
This is, as I wrote before, not the final routes, but there will  be no major changes compared to these.
All potential changes will be made in red so it will be easy to see.

So all we have to do is to hope that the weather is on our side both days, that is no sure thing here on the west coast of Norway.

kjetil      --------------   ;) --------------       
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 19:10:19 by kjetil »
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

;-)

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 19:32:19 »
Nicely done Kjetil.

Beware of the southern norwegian polarbears escaped from Wales when on tour.

Sheeps tasteing Kjetils Pee
These animals have the rights to be on the roads and if you hit one it is your responsibility and you must pay the farmer.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 20:01:54 »
Yessss ! I have to look for that in details ....
As said by Magnus (Skye) hope we have such a weather!!!  ;D
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 20:03:32 »

These animals have the rights to be on the roads and if you hit one it is your responsibility and you must pay the farmer.

As long as we don't have to pay the Welsh Farmer that's OK.

Blacksmith

• HAR Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 20:09:00 »
Kjetil, thank you. We can't wait to get there.
I hope we don't have to choose for tours and can drive every day a route.
grtz

kjetil

• My YouTube site
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 20:34:44 »
By the way, is there any off-road (gravel,...) in the area we stay in or on the way to Geiranger ?

Yes, a nice road is The Old Strynefjell Mountain Road.

It is located less than 40 km from the hotel.

http://goo.gl/maps/7BgBj

http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/Where-to-go-uk/Fjord-Norway/Nordfjord/What-to-do-in-Nordfjord/Tour-suggestions-in-Nordfjord/The-Old-Strynefjell-Road/

The big question is whether this road is cleared of snow until June 6.

kjetil    ---------------   ;)  -----------------
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 22:00:41 by kjetil »

;-)

Bruvex

• Just Go!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 20:55:59 »
Thanks for the quick response Kjetil! I'll try to follow the weather in Norway.
Moto Guzzi V85tt

Prev.:CRF1000L DCT (2016) / BMuu R1200GS (2009) / Honda Varadero SD02 (end 2003) / Honda VFR 800fi / Yamaha Diversion 900 / Yamaha XJ900 / Honda Shadow 600c

VIM 12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/23

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal