Author Topic: HyperPro Progressive Springs?  (Read 3970 times)

wihar

• HAR Member
HyperPro Progressive Springs?
« on: May 08, 2013, 17:53:27 »
Hi. All

I've installed HyperPro progressive springs (front and rear) on my 2001 Varadero and now I have some suspension related questions.

1.) I like that the bike is not bottoming now but i feel it too stiffer on rough road surface. Therefore I intend to change the fork oil to Motul 10W (now it is 15W) as I keep the oil level the same as HyperPro recommend 160 mm.
 What do you think will this make the bike a little bit less stiffer and still not bottoming?
 Do someone else use 10W with HyperPro progressive springs?

2.) I changed also the rear spring with progressive and now bike is higher with about 2 cm when rear suspension is adjusted to maximum high. Do someone experienced the same?

3.) Are you able to set the adjuster knob of rear shock to full LOW? Currently with new spring it starts to turn too easily and I'm afraid that knob will break down form shock absorber.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 17:57:58 by wihar »

Madero

• XL1000V-2004
Re: HyperPro Progressive Springs?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 20:02:49 »
Hi Wihar!

I've just checked the Hyperpro manual that I recieved when I installed Hyperpro front- and rearsprings on my 2004 Dero.

Front forks require sae 10 Hyperpro oil (170 mm). Dont't know if this will give you a better feeling since this is the only thing you can change (no in- or outgoing damping adjustable on the Dero). Changing the oil will only affect the dampingspeed.
Remind that a softer feel on rough tracks may give you a too soft feeling on smooth tarmac.

It is recommended to let your frontforks stick out 10 mm above the front fork yoke.

It's correct that your bike will get higher in the rear end after installing a progressive Hyperpro spring. In fact this prooves that the standard spring was much too floppy! The static sag (= difference in height between unloaded rear spring and rear spring loaded by the bike's own weight) should be 24 mm (adjustable by using the big knob).

Sorry, my manual is in Dutch! A copy won't help you.

Maybe your local Hyperpro dealer can get you a manual in your own language and give you more specific advise.

Best regards,
Madero
Enjoy your life every day!

bigshane

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 00:58:59 »
Hi mate, I've fitted hyper-pro to first and latest of my Varadero's. It will lift the rear slightly but turn damper knob down to 10 to15 and ride bike for a few good trips and it will settle into a lower position. Then adjust each time you ride with a passenger and extra weight.
Hyper-pro say you change fork oil to 15 weight which I have done on both bikes which has worked very well after a few weeks. It will really improve handling and takes more weight for touring. ;D

2000 XL1000 2002 TO 2005 - Hyper-pro
2005 XL1000 2005 TO 2010 - Standard
2000 XL1000 2012 ----------  - Hyper-pro

wihar

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59:19 »
Thanks for the responses!

Squily

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:21:49 »
can you tell me how you stripped the Varadero rear shock? Got it out, but can't find any diagrams or instructions in any of my manuals.

Bought a harder spring I want to install please

wihar

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 15:09:48 »
It is needed additional tool to compress the spring. When spring is compressed there is pin which have to be removed in order to remove the sprig.
Check these videos:

Yo need to know also that servicing shock absorber can be dangerous - compressed spring can do lot of damage. And spring compressor tool is expensive. So any suspension mechanic can do the job to change the springs for you.

Squily

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 17:45:08 »
Thanks. I've actually dropped of the shopck at the Honda dealers yesterday and asked them to do it. But I'll have a look at it when I get it back (for future use. I have one of those presses, but not sure mine goes together quite the same as the one in your video- its got a few additional bits not on that video, but sure give me a good idea what to look for. Appreciate the effort

VCIF_999_

bigshane

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 01:16:21 »
Sorry mate for not getting back sooner, but I got a mate of mine who has a bike shop to split the shock.  He had a proper spring compressor and it would be very difficult to do it with car spring compressors and possibly dangerous too.  I fitted the front springs myself which are handy.  ;D

Captain Scooby

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 10:06:14 »
Thanks Big Shane and Madero for your input. I currently have what I think is a Mark 1 hanging in my boat shed with forks removed. Have drained the fluid (yes, it was the color of indian ink) and flushed them a few times with a cup of petrol, but am having a devil of a time finding someone to rate or test the springs, let alone recommend a replacement!
Improvising with electronic kitchen scsles, a laser pointer and industrial drill press, I've guesstimated the spring rate at approx. 0.5kgs/mm.
I've read other reviews where owners changed the front springs for aftermarket and could not tell the difference.
I've had springs reset before but after about 6 months, they reset to their original position.
Do the aftermarket springs supress nose diving under brakes? And how do they like 10 wt oil?