Author Topic: Hello from Portugal  (Read 5258 times)

pathfinder

• Member of Clube Varadero Crosstourer Portugal
Re: Hello from Portugal
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 02:38:50 »
Dear Antonio
I remember with great love the Portugal group in the south of France camping near my tent. They were such wonderfull group, great spirit, I still use and cherish their presents.
Never mind what they say AT is a great bike I have it after 8 Varaderos and two CT, a month ago I rode 6,000 kms to Sweden with lots of luggage, enjoyed every moment and like it very much.
Hope to be tent neighbours in Andora next year.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your kind words. In fact, it was a very lively group. Nevertheless, be careful with what you wish: they snore very loudly...  ;D

Regards,
António Pedro Amorim
(Pathfinder)
Current: 2020 CRF1100L Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT
Previous: 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT; 2002 XL1000V Varadero; 2001 XL650V Transalp

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 11:06:32 »
Welcome back!

I have had all, Vara, CT and now AT so maybe I can help you decision. What kind of riding are you doing?

Hi Jyrays,

Despite having participated in an event that toured the tracks of the old Dakar in Portugal, I consider myself an amateur off roader :). Smooth with the bike and the physics (I'm no longer a child ...). My trips are mostly made by road, sometimes with short incursions on dirt roads.

In the past I have had the opportunity to do a short test-drive with the CT and more recently another with the AT. The latter one left me a great impression and desire for a longer experience. Lighter than the Varadero, maneuverable, nervous engine, with a power reserve similar to that of Varadero.

From the CT I remember the power of the engine and... the weight. I do not care about the weight in motion because, at least in the Varadero, we do not feel it and I believe that with the CT it will be the same. I'm not a very big person (1,74cm/90kg), so parking maneuvers and putting it on the main stand may be a concern.

In fact, I believe that the CT could be more dedicated to my type of use, but the idea of having a lighter bike with similar power as the Varadero, pleases me.

Am I wrong?

Regards,

CT is great road bike, but so is AT. If I had no off-road in my mind I would think twice. I would but VARA in the middle of these two bikes.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:48:52 by zebulon »
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 11:09:47 »
Hi, Pedro.

Welcome back.
Hopefully we'll meet both you and your Portugese friends in Andorra.

Since last time I had to change the bike, too.
I did the same as you are planning - tried the CT and the AT in different versions, with my pillion.
To make it short. I didn't like the CT. Wife didn't sit well on the AT.
Now we're the happy owners of a "new" Varadero 2008 with an improved Top Sellerie gel saddle.
I agree, AT is small for two adult size riders  VCIF_varaGrey

No it is not. The AT is perfect for two riders other than the rear suspension. The seat is nearly 7cm longer than the Crosstourer and is the same length as the Varadero.

Me and Ursa do not fit on it :) I am just 180 and she is a bit shorter than me. Her feet has no place (due to the Givi panniers) and we have to sit very close to each others... for a short trip it is ok but...
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 12:03:08 »
Me and Ursa do not fit on it :) I am just 180 and she is a bit shorter than me. Her feet has no place (due to the Givi panniers) and we have to sit very close to each others... for a short trip it is ok but...

I suspect that the issue with space for pillions is not just height !

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:41 »
Well Pedro, welcome back I would say!  VCIF_salut
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 21:14:12 »

Well, my weight is on front so it is not off from her space ;)
Honda NC700X DCT

pathfinder

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 23:44:00 »

For me space is not an issue. I'm not a big guy and besides that, I like to feel the pillion close to me...  ;)

Regards,
António Pedro Amorim
(Pathfinder)
Previous: 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT; 2002 XL1000V Varadero; 2001 XL650V Transalp

pathfinder

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 01:30:46 »

Hi James,

Missing the Algarve? I believe that certainly Canada will also have its charms  :). I already voted in the poll to choose a new name for the meetings, thank you.

Best regards,

Yep!  I miss the dry roads and year round great riding conditions.  However Vancouver Island, BC and Canada has a lot to offer for ADV riding :) 

Thanks for voting!

Please feel free to post anything you wish in the Forum. Members of Honda Adventure Riders Forum will be pleased to learn of your experiences.  How busy is CVP these days?

Hi James,

Similar to what happened with this forum, CVP also evolved to CVCP (Club Varadero Crosstourer Portugal) shortly after the VFR1200X was launched. It was not an easy or consensual change, but democracy prevailed.

CVCP remains alive, with about 60 active members. Events are still being organized, but with shorter duration, to be compatible with budgetary constraints arising from the effects of the economic crisis.

Many Varaderos continue to roll on Portuguese roads, Crosstourers as well but in smaller numbers. The arrival of AT has brought a breath of fresh air to the Portuguese motorcycle market and is close to becoming a bestseller in the maxitrail category.

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:33:41 by pathfinder »
António Pedro Amorim
(Pathfinder)

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:47 »

I have just realized my top-box is 10 cm further in front than anticipated by GIVI (extension brackets) so it might make a difference ;)
Honda NC700X DCT

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 13:20:40 »

Hi James,

Missing the Algarve? I believe that certainly Canada will also have its charms  :). I already voted in the poll to choose a new name for the meetings, thank you.

Best regards,

Yep!  I miss the dry roads and year round great riding conditions.  However Vancouver Island, BC and Canada has a lot to offer for ADV riding :) 

Thanks for voting!

Please feel free to post anything you wish in the Forum. Members of Honda Adventure Riders Forum will be pleased to learn of your experiences.  How busy is CVP these days?

Hi James,

Similar to what happened with this forum, CVP also evolved to CVCP (Club Varadero Crosstourer Portugal) shortly after the VFR1200X was launched. It was not an easy or consensual change, but democracy prevailed.

CVCP remains alive, with about 60 active members. Events are still being organized, but with shorter duration, to be compatible with budgetary constraints arising from the effects of the economic crisis.

Many Varaderos continue to roll on Portuguese roads, Crosstourers as well but in smaller numbers. The arrival of AT has brought a breath of fresh air to the Portuguese motorcycle market and is close to becoming a bestseller in the maxitrail category.

Regards,

Hi António

Glad to hear that CVCP is still active.  It always had a strong well organised membership.

My blue Varadero 2003 SD01 is still on the road in the Algarve.  Now owned by a very good friend of mine.  You'll know the bike if you see it :)   Martin restores old bikes from Scratch.  The newest bike he has ever owned was my Varadero and it was 10 year old when I sold it to him! :)   Its in great hands for further long term ownership.

Safe riding!    Africa Twin CRF1000L DCT?   Of course ;)

Great to see you posting here :)   Where is Pedro Pinto?

regards
James
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

Borjas

• HAR Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 10:47:24 »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 18:51:37 by Borjas »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal