Author Topic: Hah! Activity is creeping up a little.  (Read 296 times)

james.mc

• Administrator
  • 2017 CRF1000L DCT
    • Honda-Adventure-Riders
Hah! Activity is creeping up a little.
« on: July 04, 2017, 19:11:04 »
If you have some time maybe see if you can message some old members and get them to come over and join in :) 

Also add a link on your FB page for public viewing.  That might draw some more members to the Forum.

http://honda-adventure-riders.com

regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
Re: Hah! Activity is creeping up a little.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 19:39:39 »
activity is all on your side :)
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • XL1000V L'iseran 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 20:58:52 »
The German Varadero forum would send a message (email) to members who haven't been online for soms while (don't know if this is still the case).

I found these messages a tad 'pushing'.
A news feed could help.

On the other side (I think thats the one James mentioned) it can help to contact members. What makes (old-) members post on Varadero related Facebook pages, but not on the forum which is actually the same action?

That would be interesting to know...
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 22:46:43 »
The German Varadero forum would send a message (email) to members who haven't been online for soms while (don't know if this is still the case).

An email was sent out in September 2016 regarding the vote to rename the forum. I got a lot of replies saying "stop sending emails to me, i'm not interested" or " remove my account from the forum"

SB

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • XL1000V L'iseran 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 14:16:26 »

An email was sent out in September 2016 regarding the vote to rename the forum. I got a lot of replies saying "stop sending emails to me, i'm not interested" or " remove my account from the forum"

SB

Imagine... knowing we only send out e-mails very rarely.
In any case I am a big proponent to delete any 'member' from the database which hasn't been online here for 6 months or longer.

Snurrepus

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 16:24:15 »
The Norwegian forum was quite activ a few years ago.
I entered when I bought my first Varadero in 2009, and there were "always" activity.
However - last year we checked who had been logged in during the last two years.
It all ended with closing down the forum  :'(
Now we are 10-15 (partly) active riders on our Facebook group.
See you in Andorra :-)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • XL1000V L'iseran 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 19:53:32 »
I entered when I bought my first Varadero in 2009, and there were "always" activity.
However - last year we checked who had been logged in during the last two years.

Exactly Erik. 15 Years ago, it was unthinkable that a forum could replace the mailinglist with which our community was started back in early 1989.
Today we should sereously reconsider how to continue this forum with the growing popularity of Social Media in stead of looking to it as a threat or menance.

But there will always be a few who stick to the Blackberries, lol

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 20:20:30 »

Exactly Erik. 15 Years ago, it was unthinkable that a forum could replace the mailinglist with which our community was started back in early 1989.
Today we should sereously reconsider how to continue this forum with the growing popularity of Social Media in stead of looking to it as a threat or menance.

But there will always be a few who stick to the Blackberries, lol
Nokia Communicator for me  VCIF_salut
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

MrKiwi

• Africa Twin Tri-colour DCT
    • Motor Industry Association of New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 00:04:55 »
I think 6 months is too short, but if you have not been active for 12 months then I think it is OK to question why the login still remains active?
MrKiwi
always thinking about my next ride

james.mc

• Administrator
  • 2017 CRF1000L DCT
    • Honda-Adventure-Riders
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 04:04:04 »

Imagine... knowing we only send out e-mails very rarely.
In any case I am a big proponent to delete any 'member' from the database which hasn't been online here for 6 months or longer.

Not keen on that idea.  Culling members, based in time alone, is not the way forward.  Removing members on request is better.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

james.mc

• Administrator
  • 2017 CRF1000L DCT
    • Honda-Adventure-Riders
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:06:17 »
I think 6 months is too short, but if you have not been active for 12 months then I think it is OK to question why the login still remains active?

I agree that 6 months is too short.  I suggest only members that request to be removed should be deleted.  Many people join to see whats posted but sometimes don't bother to log in again.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

james.mc

• Administrator
  • 2017 CRF1000L DCT
    • Honda-Adventure-Riders
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 04:17:09 »

The death of a Varadero named Forum is sad to read, but with the model out of production is almost bound to happen.
Naming one bike, as the mainstay of the forum, is a short term thing.  The new Africa Twin forums are quite popular now but over time that will change also. Which is why that must not be repeated here.  The Forum has to adapt and fast!! if it is to survive. We need to stop thinking of ourselves at a Varadero Forum, or as Big Engined Honda adventure bikes only. Forums can survive and be very popular, as the ADVrider forum shows, but it appeals to a broad spectrum of ADV riders.  Honda is a huge company so I believe a forum can succeed based on its ADV range and thousands of Honda ADV riders who support the Brand.

To me the only way forward is to re-invent and make this Forum and its meetings appeal to all Honda ADV riders no matter where they are in the world and no matter what Honda ADV bike they ride.  Limit the Forum to just a few named models and it will be doomed.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders