Author Topic: Rear Shock removal on the ABS model  (Read 1841 times)

sleepyhead65

• HAR Member
Rear Shock removal on the ABS model
« on: May 08, 2017, 15:49:14 »
I have the SDO2 model (2008) with ABS.

My service manual is for an SDO2 but is from 2003. It does not cover the ABS model.

Removal of the rear shock is straight forward on the non ABS model. Simply remove the upper bolt via the right hand side of the bike.

On ABS models the right side is a tangled mess of hydraulic tubes. It's not a simple task to get access this way. I've removed the battery and have just enough visibility to get a wrench on it. I might be able to get it out but I'm concerned I will not be able to put the bolt back in again when I replace the shock.

I'm now thinking to remove the tank and see what access I can get from that side.

Bottom line: Can someone who has experience with the rear shock removal and replacement on an ABS model share their knowledge with me? It would be greatly appreciated.

varonda

• AT rallye colours -- a.k.a. grandpa grumpy
Re: Rear Shock removal on the ABS model
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 18:16:50 »
 If I recall once you've taken the pre-load adjusting knob off the shock has to drop and twist -- I think the ABS one goes in the opposite way to the non-ABS one --get it in the right position and it'll just drop out-- jiggle it a bit -- make sure the swing arm is supported and I think I had to jack the swing arm up a gnats to allow it to fall out-- it's years since I did one but it's not that difficult,just have the Elastoplast ready !!!
If the truth fits---wear it !!!!

varonda

• AT rallye colours -- a.k.a. grandpa grumpy
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 18:18:08 »
 Sorry just re-read your post -- I'll take my foot off the pitch.
If the truth fits---wear it !!!!

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 22:21:48 »
Had no problem at all.

Put the bike on centralstand  or lift so the swing is clear to rise. Remove rear wheel, you will reach the upper bolt from inside the swing

Dismount the pretentioner, lose upper bolt. Use swing arm to level the spring to get it out

sleepyhead65

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 18:01:40 »
Ok Skye. I will remove the wheel after work and see where that goes. From here it looks pretty tight coming up from the bottom but you are right there does not seem to be any other way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal