Author Topic: Honda varadero sd01 (vy) choke stuck  (Read 840 times)

Andykat

• HAR Member
Honda varadero sd01 (vy) choke stuck
« on: November 02, 2016, 20:59:14 »
Dear old varadero riders (bike not human). Choke stuck through corrosion. !!

Firstly to the forum moderators please accept my sincere apologies if this new topic should join a different existing topic and/or if I am repeating others' already existing knowledge.

I have had the most obscure and difficult to pin down running problem with my otherwise well running 63100 mile much loved but well worked varadero.

To anyone out there who has a lumpy takeover difficulty engaging took and a bigger backfire than normal at takeover and please check your front choke cable as it enters the carburettor.
 The choke cable on mine was so badly corroded the spring fell apart as it left the carburettor it was stuck in the on position indicating a rich mixture was being fed to the front cylinder.
In searching for this fault I have removed the pair valve system altogether which resulted in better response but still a very varied tick over only corrected by fiddling with idle screw adjustor.

I have a video of the two chokes if anyone would like to see Honda over engineering and poor corrosion prevention.
I do love my aged girl but find corrosion is causing fault after fault. This is after a garage all its life and hosing (not jet washing) and religious oil/coolant/fluid changes.

The choke capable(s) need the carbs removed which means just about everything else needs removing so a big(ish) job. I am not putting it back together in a hurry as I am contemplating thermostat replacement and new carb to head rubbers.

Cam chain is also very very noisy so have two cam chain lifters/tensioners arriving tomorrow.
I am sure it's only the front one.. just like the choke capable... front bad,rear good.

Hope this post helps anyone with a curious back fire, a smell of fuel, poor(er) economy and an idle that wouldn't be far out of place at a Mozart violin concerto performance a problem.

Best wishes and safe riding to all forum readers and the fantastic team that run it.

Andy

Captain Scooby

• HAR Member
Re: Honda varadero sd01 (vy) choke stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 00:45:13 »
Andy,
I don't know if this will stop your corrosion problems, particularly if you live near a salt water environment, but it works for me.
Disconnect your choke cables from the handlebar and using some electrical tape, make a leak proof join to a plastic funnel. I use the food grade funnels that come as a set of three. That way you find the right size funnel to fit your cable. Support the funnel by hanging it overhead with light gauge tie off wire. Pour some engine oil into the funnel and leave the cable hanging in a vertical position overnight.
By morning oil should be dripping out the bottom end (@ the carbs). If not, repeat the process.
Do this when fitting new cables and
1) they move like silk
2)do not fray or corrode
3)last a lifetime.
Same goes for throttle cables.

MrKiwi

• Africa Twin Tri-colour DCT
    • Motor Industry Association of New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:47 »
Andy,
I don't know if this will stop your corrosion problems, particularly if you live near a salt water environment, but it works for me.
Disconnect your choke cables from the handlebar and using some electrical tape, make a leak proof join to a plastic funnel. I use the food grade funnels that come as a set of three. That way you find the right size funnel to fit your cable. Support the funnel by hanging it overhead with light gauge tie off wire. Pour some engine oil into the funnel and leave the cable hanging in a vertical position overnight.
By morning oil should be dripping out the bottom end (@ the carbs). If not, repeat the process.
Do this when fitting new cables and
1) they move like silk
2)do not fray or corrode
3)last a lifetime.
Same goes for throttle cables.

good tip...
MrKiwi
always thinking about my next ride

Captain Scooby

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 01:59:53 »
Yes......and no.
I didn't mention that you have to watch the viscosity of the oil you are putting in.
These poor bastards on the other side of the planet have to put up with that white pollution that covers your bike of a morning. I've had it here once or twice. That was it...FROST. When that happens you need to use a lightweight lube like 5wt fork oil or Automatic Transmission Fluid, cable lube or even dieso.
If you put in cheapy engine oil it can become so stiff it makes the action worse in cold weather.
How's the new bike going? Must be pretty boring now having something new that you are not always repairing. More time to brush up your skills on the logging trails near your place I suppose.

MrKiwi

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 02:48:27 »

;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 20:12:15 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

Captain Scooby

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 01:04:57 »
You've got the Mk II version of the DCT don't you?
I would imagine that would be just like riding clutchless which is what everyone does once they leave the tar.
 To me, that would be condition normal. On dirt I don't even use the clutch at rest. Wheelspin & go!
I am noticing a few of these being used as commuter bikes now. A blind man on a galloping horse can spot them.
You look for the two into ones' and the rider who has already selected first and is standing with one leg half over the saddle just so that they can reach the ground. With a higher than average COG (centre of gravity) and being less than 10kgs lighter than an XL1000, it wouldn't take much to take you down whilst waiting at the lights. A spot of dieso on the road or a gust of wind and you'll be realizing the protection of those lower crash bars you were going to put on...

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2016 AT Digital Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 17:17:44 »
<not sure it is really in-topic  VCIF_a_008 can be difficult to understand in few months -or years ...sure you can post in more suitable post. ThxVCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 17:33:19 »

When I was young ( a long time ago !) all clutch & throttle cables were plain steel and needed to be regularly lubricated.

A lot of cables these days are ptfe/teflon coated and these should not be lubricated. Once the coating has worn away they need to be replaced.

I suspect that the choke (or fast idle to give it its correct name) cable will not be coated due to their limited movement/use.

Andykat

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 13:06:59 »
Just an update to sticking choke
A bit of info I have learned
If you order a Honda varadero choke cable to fix your sticking choke it does not come with the sticky bit (called choke valve starter set) there are 2 and they are £41 each !
The cable in general has not been the problem- just the corroded valve spring and plunger.
Thanks for the tip regarding lubing these things.
They break if you over tighten them (agh). Getting the plastic thread out of the carb is a pain so err hand tighten only!
The bike runs like new now, thank the Lord.
The front cam chain tensioner was very softly spring compared to the new one.
I didn't do the back as there was no noise and I couldn't get to it and had run out of brain power and patience.
If anyone is thinking of changing your 'dog bones' to stiffen up your rear end (bike's) the ones from bikefarmmv are excellent and really work well- my vara now sits much more proudly and handles sweetly- not changed the speed of turn in too much. Only prob is it now leans over a hell of a long way on the side stand! Even with a side stand wide foot attached!
Happy and safe riding to all members and thanks to the moderators for a superb and informative/problem solving site.

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 12:37:24 »
(or fast idle to give it its correct name)
Thanks for correcting the terminology. EFI bikes do not have/need choke...
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • XL1000V L'iseran 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 14:53:38 »

Not 100% true, Jyrki! My 2004 MK2 Varadero had feul injection ánd the manual choke. Its however absent on my current '12 Varadero. ;)
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 18:15:56 »

Not 100% true, Jyrki! My 2004 MK2 Varadero had feul injection ánd the manual choke. Its however absent on my current '12 Varadero. ;)
Bernard, it is fast idle, not a choke. Choke close air intake to make fuel mixture richer for cold start (and usually increase the idle as well), needed for carburetors but EFI does that by ECU. You just have it to increase the idle, new EFI systems does even that by ECU.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

MrKiwi

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 23:34:31 »
I agree with Jyrays - fuel injection does not use a coke to change (enrich) the fuel. Early fuel injected vehicles sometimes had what they called a choke, but it was just increasing/decreasing the revs. The ECU did the rest.
MrKiwi