Author Topic: CRF1000 Africa Twin vv XL1000V Varadero  (Read 18585 times)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
CRF1000 Africa Twin vv XL1000V Varadero
« on: March 14, 2016, 00:26:51 »
Quick Test: 1000 Honda CRF DCT Africa Twin
Circumstances:
Dry, sunny; 5-7 degrees Celsius
Saturday, March 12, 2016

Much has been written and published about Honda's newest motorcycle, the new CRF1000 Africa Twin. An icon from the 90s of the last century has been reborn; the spiritual successor to the XRV750. With the new CRF1000 Africa Twin, Honda has launched an entirely new class, between the 800cc machines like the F800 and the 800XC, and heavy allroads like the Super Tenere and the R1200GS.

Looking more precise to the new bike and its stats, it seems the CRF1000 Africa Twin can be seen also to be a successor to the XL1000V Varadero, which was produced until 2011. Actually, the VRF1200X Crosstourer was the intended Varadero successor, but this machine, despite its qualities, never really became popular inside circles of both XRV750 Africa Twin- and Varadero riders. "Too expensive, too heavy, too small tank, excessive fuel consumption" were frequently heard comments; irrespective of the fact whether they were right or not. Except to the comments on the fuel capacity, these were similar to the Varadero, during the introduction at the INTERMOT exhibition in September 1998.

A comparison between the latest CRF1000 Africa Twin with DCT gearbox and the last build Varadero seems strange, especially since the new Africa Twin has been designed as genuine, pure 50/50 Adventure bike. Where the Varadero excels in comfort during long (paved...) stages , you can push the Africa Twin effortless and playful outlets endlessness, where you don’t have to stop where the paved road ends.

But the differences disappear quickly knowing that the average ‘Adventurerider’ seldom or never leaves the beaten path. Looking in perspective; which of these two is the best travel bike, on the paved road?

Looking at both bikes parked besides each other, you notice that the bikes are very similar in terms of height and length; where especially the slender appearance of the Africa Twin strikes the eye. In front view, the corpulent fairing of Varadero seems much broader; making it an easy conclusion that all-weather protection of the Varadero must be better.

After getting on the Africa Twin, a first impression is striking. Despite the  fact that the (adjustable) seat of the Africa Twin seat is not on the highest position, I notice that is much higher (and enjoyable!) as to the solid seat of the Varadero. Very enjoyable if you are more than 2 meters tall (6,8ft). You don’t hop on the Africa Twin, but you put it on if it was an tailor made suite. Everything is ready and at the right place. Driving away with the DCT needs some familiarization; you tend to operate the clutchlever, but there isn’t one. Indeed, the DCT version with Honda's gearbox with automatic clutch offers the rider a choice: you either carry out his work applying the "paddles" on the steering wheel, or leave it to the technique to do it for you.

The engine starts in N (Neutral) or D (Drive) position. Involuntarily you make a comparison with a car with an automatic gearbox; some cars with automatic gearbox have the tendency in 'D' to 'crawl' stationary. This is strange to the Honda; as long as you don’t use the throttle, the Africa Twin will simply stand in place and won’t move. You can choose the throttle responds from the default setting (D) or sporty (S), easy to choose with a switch on the control unit on the right handlebar.

Getting on the road in ‘D’ modus, after the first few miles, the bike gives the idea of being a tad ‘lazy’, but as soon as the engine has reached its working temperature, you feel how perfect Honda has developed its DCT. And it doesn’t take long switching from D to S: the shifting response increases considerably in sharpness making the riding experience much more dynamic. Actually, I have throughout the entire test a few hundred kilometers, kept the S mode. You have no inclination at all to return to the D position.

What is immediately noticeable, both the comfort of the saddle, as the all weather protection; even as tall as I am. The seating position for the rider is more "in" the fuel tank and fairing, and even my long legs, my knees feel fully protected; where on the Varadero the knees are more exposed to wind and rain. I used the Varadero’s optional heated grips; on the Africa Twin (the provided bike wasn’t equipped with heated grips) I did not even felt the urge to turn them on if they would have been installed. The handguards are designed like on a real enduro machine, fixed around the grips and mounted to the handlebar ends. They seem much narrower than on the Varadero, but the protection is so much better! Amazing is the protection of the upper body: Up to highly illegal speeds you stay protected from wind and you can ride with open visor till far above 120 km/h (70 mph). The saddle seems more narrow than the ‘chesterfield’ like saddle of the Varadero, but offers a surprising amount of comfort for the rider. In this saddle,  you can travel for thousands of miles without the need of standing on the footsteps!

The Africa Twin is more than 50kg less heavier than the Varadero and you feel this especially when you need to move the bike by hand or at slow pace. While riding, the differences are less pronounced. The Africa Twin is much easier to maneuver in heavy traffic, but the over 280kg heavy Varadero proves that weight does not necessarily have to be a big disadvantage. Impressive... knowing that the design of the Varadero is of more than 20 years old (the Varadero was developed from 1996)  and it can keep up with a more modern and balanced motorcycle as the new Africa Twin. Less weight makes that the Africa Twin is more sensitive to crosswinds and passing trucks. However, it is never annoying and Africa Twin manages to virtually all circumstances to keep on track like a freight train.

After a first encounter with Honda's DCT box on a VRF1200F (quit a few years ago), my first experiences didn’t make me jump out of enthusiasm. I experienced the DCT mostly too slow and not connecting with my personal expectations and riding style. The autoclutch shifted either too late, or too early, which became rather annoying especially during a more sporty riding style, making the DCT  more of a liability than means to increase the pleasure of motorcycling.

How different is the art DCT on the Africa Twin! With quite something negative DCT experiences on the VFR and Crosstourer in mind, I got all the necessary suspicion and negative preconceptions on the Africa Twin. But to my own astonishing surprise, my preconceptions disappeared as soon as I rode the bike away. What an perfect, sublime and balanced system, this DCT with auto clutch! The throttle responds is perfect; what needs some habituation is downshifting during a more sporty riding style (especially during fast stages with lots of accelerations and decelerations). Furthermore, the Africa Twin has a very strong engine brake. Turning down the throttle, the bike slows down sharply on only the engine; which I actually did not expect from an engine with a parallel twin layout. Honda has given the engine not only the character of a V-twin, but also the spirit!

Overtaking cars on motorways is great fun: you're driving behind a slower motorist, whilst the gear indicator indicates 6th gear. In your head you want to switch back to the 5th or 4th gear, but to 80km/h (50 mph) the DCT remains in 6th gear. But then when you turn open the throttle to overtake, the DCT turns really quickly back to the 5th (or depending on your throttle response even 4th) gear and the bike literally propels you like a rocket completing the overtaking maneuver in an eye blink; to shift back up to 6th gear again returning on cruising speed. Unreal! Overtaking is almost getting addictive in this way... No, not getting, it IS!

Then accelerated down from 100 km / h (65 mph) to top speed: riding in 6th gear, but by opening throttle at once, the DCT gear shifts down in a flash to 4th and the DCT really reffs up before shifting up back to 6th till you reach top speed. On the DCT equipped version, the top speed really ends at 200 km / h (125 mph). Above 200 there is literally no reserve left, but knowing these values where unreachable with the 'old' 750 Africa Twin it really doesn’t matter. I assume the top speed in the manual versions will be a little higher, up to 220 km/h (137 mph). Not interesting on a bike like this, but what stands out is - again – the stability of the bike. Wow, this Africa Twin is a tasty, balanced motorcycle! The wind protection remains good even to high speed, and I dear to state that the all new Africa Twin is the very first modern Honda without causing the famous Honda turbulence around the riders’ helmet.

At the end of the day the Hondas are returned to discover another pleasant surprise: fuel consumption. I haven’t used the bike economical correct ;) but refeuling the Africa Twin shows an fuel consumption of 5,5 liters per 100 km (can’t tell you the figures in gallons, living in a metric world) The fuel injected Varadero came close at 6 liters per 100 km. I am convinced that the consumption will improve as soon as the bike has more miles done (the test model had only 24 km (15 miles) done, against 30,000 km (18,750 mls) for the Varadero. Despite the smaller fuel capacity (why now, Honda?) this will still lead to an acceptable fuel to distance ratio.

Summary of this short review: The new Africa Twin surprised me actually on all aspects and the biggest positive surprise is the latest generation DCT. Noticed that the wind protection and comfort of the Africa Twin are better in a direct comparison with the Varadero; so they will wipe out the Crosstourer too. Good economics, great Fuelconsumption, excellent gearbox; great drivability, less weight... actually all points which the far more expensive VRF1200X Crosstourer, compared to Varadero, can’t significant improve. And finally the price: average price (NL, Dutch listed) is comparable to that of the last series Varadero (around € 14,000, -) but the additional cost for the DCT version is definitely worth considering. I would regret it if I would buy the new CRF1000 Africa Twin without!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: CRF1000 Africa Twin vv XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:11:55 »
Great review Twp Plugs.

A couple of comments. I'm not sure about your fuel consumption comparison with the Varadero.  I almost always got between 5.2 and 5.5 L/100km with the Varadero. I also get the same with the Crosstourer (5.3 to 5.6 L/100km). However, the fuel consumption for the AT is about the same or slightly less compared these these two bikes.  The main criticism of the AT is the tank size, only 18.8L compared to 23L for the previous AT and 25L for the Varadero.  In my view, 18.8L is OK but not great.

As I've noted before, no matter what some feel, the AT is no direct successor to the Varadero.  The new AT is the successor to the old AT.  Honda have been quite careful with the name Africa Twin, only worthy bikes get that name and comparisons to other bikes with the AT name are seen by the manufacturer as being wrong.

That's not to take anything away from the Varadero, it is a good bike.

Cheers from downunder...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:44:20 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:47:23 »
Valid, David, tnx for the remarks. Regarding the match with the Varadero:

The Varadero never had a 'real' successor. If you look at the dimensions (engine displacement, power output, character) the CRF1000 could not only have been a Varadero successor, but is - very - close (not mentioning the extra weight the Varadero puts on the scale). Its closer to the Varadero than the Crosstourer ever will be.

However... It can't be a successor to both, because its design and technique are completely different to both the Varadero ánd the XRV750 Africa Twin.

As you know, I got one of the last Varadero's (2012). The post- 2008 Varadero is remarkably more feul efficient than the previous one (2003-2007, I owned a '04 ABS).

Varareco

• VCIF Member Tri-Colour 2006 Varadero
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 17:18:27 »
Valid, David, tnx for the remarks. Regarding the match with the Varadero:

The Varadero never had a 'real' successor. If you look at the dimensions (engine displacement, power output, character) the CRF1000 could not only have been a Varadero successor, but is - very - close (not mentioning the extra weight the Varadero puts on the scale). Its closer to the Varadero than the Crosstourer ever will be.

However... It can't be a successor to both, because its design and technique are completely different to both the Varadero ánd the XRV750 Africa Twin.

As you know, I got one of the last Varadero's (2012). The post- 2008 Varadero is remarkably more feul efficient than the previous one (2003-2007, I owned a '04 ABS).
Great report. Thank you.
I get on average 350 Kms before the fuel light comes on with my 2006. What do the post 2008 bikes get from a full tank? And why?
I'm considering changing my bike and at first I thought I wanted the AT but after my test ride yesterday I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, the AT is an exceptional bike but I don't think it's for me. I have not ridden a Crosstourer yet so I can not comment on it. How many Kms does a Crosstourer get from a full tank?
I've seen a couple of post 2008 Vara's for sale with very low Kms so I think they could be an option? (sorry, lots of questions)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 17:20:34 by Varareco »
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 23:49:08 »
The CT has a relatively small tank too.  I get around 300-320km before the fuel light comes on and then I have a range at best of around 65-70km.

MrKiwi

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 00:00:32 »
On my '12 Dero I get 450km from a full feultank in average; but managed to get near to 500 on several occasions. On my previous '04 400km was a max. Note: I never travel two up.

Honda made some modifications to the feulinjection sensors on the post '08 bikes. Suspension on post '08 bikes are improved too.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 02:00:06 »
I took notes on fuel consumption on my 2006 model year Varadero.  The range for a tank full of petrol, expressed in a number of ways, was:

- best = 4.7L/100km (21.3km per litre)
-average over 7,000km was 5.3L/100km (18.7 km per litre).

Of course if I rode the bike hard I would get above 6L/100km pretty easily  8)

The VFR1200X is not as good.  My results for a full tank of petrol are:
- best = 5.2L/100km (19.2 km per litre)
- Average over 14,000km is 5.6L/100km (17.8 km per litre).

What is the AT doing when expressed as best and average like above?
MrKiwi

Varareco

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:13:10 »
Thanks for the information MrKiwi and Two Plugs, much appreciated  VCIF_ok

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:36:17 »

Thanks for the excellent review, TwoPlugs. 6'8" (2 m) is tall for any bike, so as someone who is also relatively tall 6'1" (185 cm), that's good to hear.

Again another review and another happy rider.

I'm surprised by Honda continuing to use small fuel tanks compared to previous bikes. It saves weight but make little sense for touring or adventure riding. Especially here in Canada or the USA where you may need that extra range to make it to a fuel stop or have to carry extra fuel. An extra 2-2.5 litres would put the bike squarely in the 400+ kilometres per tank range which makes more sense.
Maybe as you mentioned, when the bike is broken in it will get high 50 mpg or use less than 5.2-5.5 l/100km which would extend range.

The main criticism of the AT is the tank size, only 18.8L compared to 23L for the previous AT and 25L for the Varadero.  In my view, 18.8L is OK but not great.
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

Varareco

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 11:50:38 »

Thanks for the excellent review, TwoPlugs. 6'8" (2 m) is tall for any bike, so as someone who is also relatively tall 6'1" (185 cm), that's good to hear.

Again another review and another happy rider.

I'm surprised by Honda continuing to use small fuel tanks compared to previous bikes. It saves weight but make little sense for touring or adventure riding. Especially here in Canada or the USA where you may need that extra range to make it to a fuel stop or have to carry extra fuel. An extra 2-2.5 litres would put the bike squarely in the 400+ kilometres per tank range which makes more sense.
Maybe as you mentioned, when the bike is broken in it will get high 50 mpg or use less than 5.2-5.5 l/100km which would extend range.

The main criticism of the AT is the tank size, only 18.8L compared to 23L for the previous AT and 25L for the Varadero.  In my view, 18.8L is OK but not great.

I fully agree and think that 400+ Kms should be the starting point when designing an adventure/tourer. The new AT could easily accommodate an extra 3-4 litres without spoiling the looks. I love the look and practicality that a large tank gives to a bike. 

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 17:02:32 »
I'll have a go this weekend, expecting to put another 1.000 km on the ODO in 4 days time.

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 08:56:46 »
Hey Bernard,

Great write up!  Thanks!

With regards to fuel range on the CRF100L - This is what I will be fitting to my AT.  These tanks are being produced by Camel-ADV not too far from me in Canada.  I've been in touch with the owner.  Cory said that the brackets for my Bumot Defender pannier system are being worked on right now.

The Camel Tank is installed on the rear left side of the bike, opposite side to the exhaust. Occupying otherwise useless space, it adds 6.5Litres/1.7 gallons of extra fuel to your capacity for a total of 25.5 litres. That's an additional 100-150 km of extra fun before you need to start looking for a fuel station! 
For those not familiar with the concept. It feeds directly into the main tank whilst the engine is running. Once its empty the main fuel tank begins to be consumed.  You will see a 'full' reading on the fuel gauge until the camel tank is empty and the fuel in the main tanks starts to be used.

Note:  Does not fit when OEM panniers are installed!

Camel Tank for the Honda Africa Twin

regards
James Mc
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:50:04 by james.mc »
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 12:00:39 »
James,
Which pannier system is on the displayed bike? Also the Bumot? Is there a possibility that it can be modified to fit with the OEM panniers?

Hey Bernard,

Great write up!  Thanks!

With regards to fuel range on the CRF100L - This is what I will be fitting to my AT.  These tanks are being produced by Camel-ADV not too far from me in Canada.  I've been in touch with the owner.  Cory said that the brackets for my Bumot Defender pannier system are being worked on right now.

The Camel Tank is installed on the rear left side of the bike, opposite side to the exhaust. Occupying otherwise useless space, it adds 6.5Litres/1.7 gallons of extra fuel to your capacity for a total of 25.5 litres. That's an additional 100-150 km of extra fun before you need to start looking for a fuel station! 
For those not familiar with the concept. It feeds directly into the main tank whilst the engine is running. Once its empty the main fuel tank begins to be consumed.  You will see a 'full' reading on the fuel gauge until the camel tank is empty and the fuel in the main tanks starts to be used.

Note:  Does not fit when OEM panniers are installed!

regards
James Mc

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 16:38:06 »
OEM panniers do not have sub-frame and they are shaped by the bike, so no go...
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 18:14:25 »
"Fits With These Pannier Systems:

Touratech Zega (Zega Pro, Mundo, etc)
SW Motech
ADV-Tech
BUMOT Defender (Coming Soon!)
GIVI PL1144CAM (Coming Soon!)
Holan Pro (requires our rear mounting tube)
Holan symmetrical (coming soon)
Happy Trail (minor bracket clearancing required)

Does Not Fit With These Pannier Systems:

GIVI PLR1144 Quick Release
Hepco Becker
Metal Mule
Barrett
Honda factory panniers
TUSK"

VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal