Author Topic: 3000rpm issue  (Read 2772 times)

Messie

• HAR Member
3000rpm issue
« on: January 03, 2017, 15:11:44 »
Varadero 1000, 2000 model carbs, 89 000 Km on the clock. I had a little mishap with the bike and it was upside down. Oil come out of the breathers and presumably some oil and dust ended up in the carbs. the bike was repaired and serviced. My first ride on it was kind of smooth, only a small puff (like a misfire), only happened a few times and was solved after taking her nearly to the limits. A week later, starting her up, only one cylinder. Took the bike to the bike shop, they cleaned the carbs and replaced the plugs (NGK DPR9E A 9). Took her home and she was running okay; the next day to work my problems start. The bike do not want to ride at a smooth RPM, mostly at 3000 RPM is the worst. It is as if their is a fuel starvation. However if I turn the throttle she immediately respond and keep on responding. It is so severe at around 3000 RPM that it feel it is stalling and then firing again(like a new vehicle driver learning to drive for the first time, it rock and roll).
I checked the fuel pump and it is perfect (compression as prescribed), and yes, the tank is full to the mouth. I again stripped the carbs and cleaned every small channel and parts. What is your thoughts on this issue please.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: 3000rpm issue
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 19:02:05 »
Seems like fuel pump on carb is dead; but if you've checked and is ok ... have you check also the pump's contacts ?  8)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Messie

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 21:52:22 »
I checked the connections and it seems okay, I will check again and test the consistency of power flow.

Messie

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 19:52:39 »
Found my problem. Bike back to normal. VCIF_ThumbUp

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 21:27:33 »
Found my problem. Bike back to normal. VCIF_ThumbUp

and ???

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Messie

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:54:44 »
After stripping and cleaning the carbs three times I found the problem. On my last attempt while assembling the bike, I was cooling my face with the air gun. In the other hand I had the air filter, one of those that you only need to clean, K&N I think. I blew the air through it while holing my hand on the other side of the filter to catch whatever foreign subject emerge. To my supersize it was a hand covered with oil, and I mean really covered with oil.
When my bike was upside down in an earlier accident, oil escaped through the breathers and filled the air-box, the trustworthy repair shop said they did clean the filter and that is why it never crossed my mind that it might be the air filter(never fully trust the repair shops).
I replaced the air filter with an OEM filter, assembled the bike, got on and the problem solved. I still got a bit of a timing issue but that will be solved when I replace the CCT's.
 ??? ???

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 21:15:48 »
Nice  VCIF_ThumbUp sure it can help somebody else !  VCIF_salut

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:40:49 »
After stripping and cleaning the carbs three times I found the problem. On my last attempt while assembling the bike, I was cooling my face with the air gun. In the other hand I had the air filter, one of those that you only need to clean, K&N I think. I blew the air through it while holing my hand on the other side of the filter to catch whatever foreign subject emerge. To my supersize it was a hand covered with oil, and I mean really covered with oil.
When my bike was upside down in an earlier accident, oil escaped through the breathers and filled the air-box, the trustworthy repair shop said they did clean the filter and that is why it never crossed my mind that it might be the air filter(never fully trust the repair shops).
I replaced the air filter with an OEM filter, assembled the bike, got on and the problem solved. I still got a bit of a timing issue but that will be solved when I replace the CCT's.
 ??? ???
K&N filter should be "oiled" but maybe you had too much on it ;)
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Messie

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 13:52:35 »
Yes you are correct, it should be oiled with the prescribed oil but my filter was drenched with motor oil due to the bike that was upside down. the motor oil came through the breathers into the air box.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal